SnowHabit
Central PA - Jan/Feb 2018

MAG5035

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, canderson said:

Snow has begun here in hbg.

Wednesday looks warm and amped to my untrained eye. Looks like it’d be all plain rain down this way. But time to get that warmth out of here stilll hopefully, it looks like a legit, healthy, storm 

Hardly warm and plain rain, Wednesday's event could be a mess for a solid majority of the subforum, with the potential for varying transitions of precip. Euro seems to be the warmest/most amped of the bunch, as it has been.. and it still implies some accumulating snow to ice to rain for the Harrisburg region. GFS and Canadian have been colder and snowier (still mixy in the LSV). 12z NAM's early take has a solid shot of snow/ice for most of the region. That one could end up a higher impact event than today's if models hold pretty close to where they are.

3 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Hardly warm and plain rain, Wednesday's event could be a mess for a solid majority of the subforum, with the potential for varying transitions of precip. Euro seems to be the warmest/most amped of the bunch, as it has been.. and it still implies some accumulating snow to ice to rain for the Harrisburg region. GFS and Canadian have been colder and snowier (still mixy in the LSV). 12z NAM's early take has a solid shot of snow/ice for most of the region. That one could end up a higher impact event than today's is models hold pretty close to where they are.

We love when u talk “dirty” bout snow!! 

:D

26 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Hardly warm and plain rain, Wednesday's event could be a mess for a solid majority of the subforum, with the potential for varying transitions of precip. Euro seems to be the warmest/most amped of the bunch, as it has been.. and it still implies some accumulating snow to ice to rain for the Harrisburg region. GFS and Canadian have been colder and snowier (still mixy in the LSV). 12z NAM's early take has a solid shot of snow/ice for most of the region. That one could end up a higher impact event than today's if models hold pretty close to where they are.

Yes, the EPS & Euro Control overnight also had about 4-5 inches of snow in the LSV before any changeover on Wednesday.

41 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Yes, the EPS & Euro Control overnight also had about 4-5 inches of snow in the LSV before any changeover on Wednesday.

Wednesday's storm: The Euro is going right through Pa. The other models south of Pa.. Lets see how much they bump NW in the next couple days.

Looks like the flow is a lot flatter for Wednesday's storm.

Steady snow falling here currently.

9 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Much to my dismay, I've got to think that CTP is going to bust low in the I-81 corridor today.

Yes, I agree. I have about 2 inches here already in Marysville, about 3 miles north of I-81, just north of Harrisburg. 

Moderate to borderline Heavy snow currently. MDT at the 12pm hourly Observation was Snow with .25 mile visibility!

It took awhile to get things going here, rates were lousy all morning after a quick 1/2 inch or so in the predawn hours. It's ripping pretty good now and measured 1.8" on the ground. Temps about 30ºF. Don't think we'll need to worry too much about QPF issues or downsloping as we were able to get a decent moisture fetch from the south, as evident on the satellite. Radar looks solid. 

2 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Yes, I agree. I have about 2 inches here already in Marysville, about 3 miles north of I-81, just north of Harrisburg. 

Moderate to borderline Heavy snow currently. MDT at the 12pm hourly Observation was Snow with .25 mile visibility!

Southeast wind this time of year all too often ends up keeping Harrisburg and area around I-81 a few degrees colder than turnpike and south and east.  York/Lancaster will see some melted flakes much sooner than we will around here this afternoon if these rates continue.

9 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

I have a feeling that as long as rates as good places in Cumberland county (especially Carlisle and west) will have a tough time changing to rain until rates lighten up

. Pro

I agree, I think I-81 area stays snow as long as good rates persist.

Radar is the best look we have seen this season so far.

Archived