Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Jan/Feb 2018

MAG5035

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, maytownpawx said:

IPT needs to reach 3" of snow in 12 hours to warrant an advisory. Down this way it's 2". Not saying they won't reach it, but that is CTP's official criteria. 

You also forgot that they are ALWAYS the last to pull the trigger. Cracks me up every time a good event comes and there’s a hole in the watch warning area...and it’s CTP. 

Boy, a careful review of both NAM's shows fascinating conditions in Cumberland County during the storm tomorrow.  It looks like the temp maxes out at 32 degrees for the event at the surface.  Both NAM's give 0.6" of liquid for my immediate area.  It looks like the storm starts as snow between 7 and 9 AM.  That is followed by freezing rain of approximately 0.15" by 1PM.  Then the precip rates go bonkers between 1 and 4PM, the column cools enough to change the precip over to snow which falls heavily for several hours.  As the intensity begins to diminish around 5pm the snow changes back to freezing rain before ending by 6PM.  

So, one wild ride on the weather side which ends just in time for the next wild ride on TV.  I think the biggest change is the ramping up of precip amounts and having some intense rates for a time during the mid afternoon.  Can't wait to see how it plays out...(pun??)

I think CTP's advisory placement is due to the prospect of freezing rain/drizzle. Laurel's and North-Central are supposed to get 2-4" with a possible glaze from some freezing rain. South central counties are up to 2" with a light glaze of ice possible. Our criteria here in Blair (as well as the immediate surrounding counties) is 3" and we're lumped with the LSV counties where criteria is 2". Any accumulation of ice is grounds for an advisory, so that's mostly why those counties are in one. You take that section away and the rest of the alignment makes more sense. It does look weird with the hole with BGM issuing advisories over the rest of the NE PA counties, though one has to remember models have generally been predicting heavier QPF/snowfall in that region of PA. 

6 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

I think CTP's advisory placement is due to the prospect of freezing rain/drizzle. Laurel's and North-Central are supposed to get 2-4" with a possible glaze from some freezing rain. South central counties are up to 2" with a light glaze of ice possible. Our criteria here in Blair (as well as the immediate surrounding counties) is 3" and we're lumped with the LSV counties where criteria is 2". Any accumulation of ice is grounds for an advisory, so that's mostly why those counties are in one. You take that section away and the rest of the alignment makes more sense. It does look weird with the hole with BGM issuing advisories over the rest of the NE PA counties, though one has to remember models have generally been predicting heavier QPF/snowfall in that region of PA. 

I gotta admit MAG, its really odd. Models have upped qpf here as well.

Sorry can't get excited for either of these. Bus ride from Hazleton to Harrisburg tomorrow during what might be the worst part of the storm, and then after orientation on Wednesday in Camp Hill get assigned my truck and get dispatched. Just in time for the Tuesday-Wednesday festivities.

It really sucks to have to start with a company, try and get used to the truck and the company culture, and have to deal with ****ty weather on top of it.

If it wasn't for the great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, I would have ridden my unemployment (got laid off in December) out until April, but they forced me to put in applications in order to keep the benefit checks coming. Once I got an offer, I had to take it, lest the state would have cut me off for refusing work.

So here I am, starting a new trucking job during what might just be the worst weather week of the season. Go figure...fml.

16 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Sorry can't get excited for either of these. Bus ride from Hazleton to Harrisburg tomorrow during what might be the worst part of the storm, and then after orientation on Wednesday in Camp Hill get assigned my truck and get dispatched. Just in time for the Tuesday-Wednesday festivities.

It really sucks to have to start with a company, try and get used to the truck and the company culture, and have to deal with ****ty weather on top of it.

If it wasn't for the great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, I would have ridden my unemployment (got laid off in December) out until April, but they forced me to put in applications in order to keep the benefit checks coming. Once I got an offer, I had to take it, lest the state would have cut me off for refusing work.

So here I am, starting a new trucking job during what might just be the worst weather week of the season. Go figure...fml.

If it makes you feel better, your new intro is awesome. 

CTP unimpressed via my zone forecast.

Sunday
Occasional snow before 1pm, then occasional rain and snow between 1pm and 4pm, then occasional rain and snow, possibly mixed with freezing rain after 4pm. High near 36. South wind around 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Little or no ice accumulation expected. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible. 
Sunday Night
A chance of rain, snow showers, and freezing rain before 10pm, then a chance of snow showers between 10pm and 1am. Cloudy, with a low around 22. West wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.

ALL of the 0z models,including GFS,Canadian, Euro,RGEM & NAM, now give the Harrisburg area 3-4 inches of snow by tonight.

The radar is developing nicely & looks really impressive down in Kentucky & Tennessee & is on the way Northeast! I think if the precip rates are good, this will have a tough time flipping to rain in the Harrisburg area, until possibly the end when the rates decrease. Maybe another over performer is on the way ?

2 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

ALL of the 0z models,including GFS,Canadian, Euro,RGEM & NAM, now give the Harrisburg area 3-4 inches of snow by tonight.

The radar is developing nicely & looks really impressive down in Kentucky & Tennessee & is on the way Northeast! I think if the precip rates are good, this will have a tough time flipping to rain in the Harrisburg area, until possibly the end when the rates decrease. Maybe another over performer is on the way ?

The EPS mean & EPS Control run also have Harrisburg & the I-81 corridor in the 3-4 inch of snow range for today.

4 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Lots of Virga here, with dew points still in the teens in the Harrisburg area. Once this gets going, I think we stay snow for much of this event.

Good Deal!!

Anybody...Thoughts on Wednesdays storm. What's temps looking like? Thinking it might be a decent storm.

Archived