Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Jan/Feb 2018

MAG5035

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

Was there talk of a late week system? All I see is 40s with light rain.

Friday still has a chance as some light accums (Oz looked better...6z took some of it away).  Its been on the models rather consistantly though.

Beyond that, if you look at the GFS op, it's like Momma Nature gave me the chalkboard, and let me draw up the game plan.  Starting Friday, we will be entering one of the most active periods we've seen in some time, with chances every couple days.  Due to tight spacing between them, nothing gets a chance to really get big, but frequent snow flying (and maybe rain for one or 2 - hey noones perfect right) should be around.  

as I'm an odds guy, I'd take my chances w/ frequent events over waiting for the "big daddy".  we may need to wait for mid Feb. for that.

looking at the GEFS makes me giddy.

BTW, i'm in jipville for this one today.  Barely a coating in Akron, but as i treked into work, around an inch in Etown.  I drove through the arctic boundary, as temp drop was 5 deg  in 28 miles.  

Fun times a coming....

Have a good day gang, and enjoy the snow.  (looks like it did well in northern tier as per snowcams)

Nut

4 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Friday still has a chance as some light accums (Oz looked better...6z took some of it away).  Its been on the models rather consistantly though.

Beyond that, if you look at the GFS op, it's like Momma Nature gave me the chalkboard, and let me draw up the game plan.  Starting Friday, we will be entering one of the most active periods we've seen in some time, with chances every couple days.  Due to tight spacing between them, nothing gets a chance to really get big, but frequent snow flying (and maybe rain for one or 2 - hey noones perfect right) should be around.  

as I'm an odds guy, I'd take my chances w/ frequent events over waiting for the "big daddy".  we may need to wait for mid Feb. for that.

looking at the GEFS makes me giddy.

BTW, i'm in jipville for this one today.  Barely a coating in Akron, but as i treked into work, around an inch in Etown.  I drove through the arctic boundary, as temp drop was 5 deg  in 28 miles.  

Fun times a coming....

Have a good day gang, and enjoy the snow.  (looks like it did well in northern tier as per snowcams)

Nut

Checking out webcams, it looks like the Western part of the county got more. Millersville:

MLLRU_l.jpg

12z are losing the Friday deal somewhat.  Root for Icon but if you live near me....fugeddabout it.....oh the drama. :)

just one model run.  Not worried......yet.  Gotta head out, so wont see rest of run.  Hoping someone updates with good news.

I know we're all ready for some.

Nut

1.8" overnight here in Carlisle.  Melted down to 0.11" of liquid producing an SLR of 16:1 which is pretty high for here as they were only expecting 10-12 :1 in the southeast CWA.

GFS full of snow opportunities over the next 2 weeks and it pretty much keeps it cold the entire time.  Will this winter continue to surprise the earlier pundits from last Nov/Dec???

26 minutes ago, canderson said:

Sunday is a legit threat it looks like. It's at least formative enough to keep watching. 

Even if that doesn't transpire February looks like it should be pretty fun. I still think a President's Day weekend storm is happening. 

Horst just tweeted the same thing, saying Thursday night is nothing more than a frontal passage with a period of rain. (possibly ending as a bit of snow) He said that Sunday looks "intriguing" with fresh arctic air and some moisture coming out of the gulf...

50 minutes ago, canderson said:

Sunday is a legit threat it looks like. It's at least formative enough to keep watching. 

Even if that doesn't transpire February looks like it should be pretty fun. I still think a President's Day weekend storm is happening. 

22 minutes ago, maytownpawx said:

Horst just tweeted the same thing, saying Thursday night is nothing more than a frontal passage with a period of rain. (possibly ending as a bit of snow) He said that Sunday looks "intriguing" with fresh arctic air and some moisture coming out of the gulf...

That's my Super Bowl storm fellas B)

I agree with that next system around Sun/Mon having more potential upside than the Friday one. Surface temps figure to be marginal for Friday, but I think QPF is becoming more an issue as well. Like I mentioned yesterday there's some downsloping being reflected on models given mean flow and lack of any real low or good moisture source. 12z models looked cold enough for snow for the most part but didn't have very much precip. The exception was the Canadian which had more of a wave of precip preceding/accompanying the frontal passage and it was mainly rain.

The one Sunday night into Monday looks a bit more interesting.. although not as interesting currently as of the 12z model suite today. There's more of a system there with a potential southern stream weak Gulf low being progged to go to the Carolina coast as well as a weak northern stream low near the lakes. The southern low would finally invite potential for a more moisture laden system given the moisture source from the Gulf, but pattern may not amplify enough to bring it up. It would seem an absence of phasing between systems likely made this system more of a non-event in PA on the 12z guidance today. Still worth watching though, it wouldn't take much to bring things up into our region.. plus there may be enough interaction for at least a swath of light snow crossing PA via the weak northern system. Or on the other hand we could have a more dominant northern branch system that could also run a half decent swath of snow through. 

Most of us would sign up for the 0z GFS !

It amped up the Super Bowl Sunday storm, which made it a CTP special. It delivered 6 to 8 inches of snow to most of our region.

Then, next Wednesday, it had another system that dropped another 4-6 inches of snow on most of CTP.

Allow me to dream for a moment...the Eagles win the Super Bowl while a good snowstorm is well underway... then I attend the championship parade on Tuesday & then come home for more snow on Wednesday......One can dream, right?!?!

5 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Most of us would sign up for the 0z GFS !

It amped up the Super Bowl Sunday storm, which made it a CTP special. It delivered 6 to 8 inches of snow to most of our region.

Then, next Wednesday, it had another system that dropped another 4-6 inches of snow on most of CTP.

Allow me to dream for a moment...the Eagles win the Super Bowl while a good snowstorm is well underway... then I attend the championship parade on Tuesday & then come home for more snow on Wednesday......One can dream, right?!?!

Though i'm NOT an Eagles fan, i'll take the plan you mapped out!

16 hours ago, pasnownut said:

Friday’s system ends up brining the boundary further south to set the table for you pal.  Less worries about taint/mixing. Clean snow. 

I hope.

Would be fantastic. 

looks more wet then white to me, but i'm usually WRONG :o

Something I posted in the Mid-Atlantic forum about the overnight EPS. For those in the southern and eastern portions of the region the Monday time frame could possibly be of interest as you will have colder temps then the Mid-Atlantic. Wouldn't get to invested in it just yet because the setup is contingent on interaction between the Northern and Southern streams. With such a progressive flow the models are having difficulties with handling the energy rotating through the CONUS so that means this stronger coastal could very well be gone on the next run with a weak pice of NS energy running through the region and a weak Southern stream far to the south. But if we continue to see these type of solutions come Friday/Saturday then it may be game on.

4 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

The overnight EPS run showed some potential for the the DC/Balt corridor and especially for N/W of the cities on the possible Monday coastal.

Below we have the mean low pressures leading into the coastal. We have low pressure developing on the N/S Carolina coast and tracking up to off of Cape Cod (Benchmark track). It is a fairly quick moving storm, as you can see how far it has traveled in 24 hours, which will limit somewhat the amount precip it can kick back into our region. The one hangup we do have is that temps are not quite where we want them as the low impacts our region and this is due mainly to the positioning of High pressure. Typically we want to see High pressure configured in a banana shape to our west and extending over top of our region (marked in red below). This banana shape helps to lock in the cold as the storm rides up to our east. But instead we have lower pressures extending up to our north which allows warmer air to flow northward through our region. Now you can skate by with just higher pressures to our west but in this case we see the higher pressures are to far west to be of much help. The good news? Temps leading into this are fine, it is only as the storm begins moving through that we lose them and that at the lower levels more so then the upper. Just shave a couple/3 degrees off of the column during this time and we have a substantially different outcome for the region. Some minor changes to the high pressure can mean a world of difference here. Timing, development and/or track of the low as well. At this point we are in the game, at least until the next run when the EPS decides to reshuffle the deck.

Lowpressmeans.thumb.gif.30f963301c9e3332f285f0a356f3801e.gif

Total precip has bumped up roughly .4 inches (roughly .7) for the region from the prior run (roughly .3) for the coastal.

5a7198d177172_Precipmeans.thumb.gif.385cb01c901ca66d7f404256a1489f81.gif

Here are the ensemble members. Notice they mostly favor to the N/W of the cities at this time. Shave a couple degrees off through the column and we would see the snow quickly blossom into the cities where more moisture would be available.

Ensemblesnow1.thumb.gif.d0124962d7e1d7bc75398ccec8bb2194.gif

Ensemblesnow2.thumb.gif.840910979a9883966d9ffb069b24ab7e.gif

MidAtsnowmeans.thumb.gif.936d8f6614a0581a5d0cae9c25217ca6.gif

Archived