Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 3-4th Coastal Crusher OBS

buckeyefan1

1 hour ago, shaggy said:

I am surprised at the speed it's piling up out there even with the small flakes. Bet we see someone with a foot down that way. 

I’ve seen some pretty impressive rates with small flakes before.  I remember we must’ve been pushing 1-2”/hr for several hours in Greensboro during the January 2010 storm and ended up with 7.5”.  It was a dry, higher-ratio snow that didn’t even stick to the trees much since it was so dry and fluffy.  Definitely not as picturesque, though.

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, tramadoc said:

Still snowing here

I figured you would switch back and get dumped on tramadoc. Last night when you were under the maritime influence and 36 with rain, I almost posted to try and reassure you but figured you would see for yourself soon enough. Elizabeth City is so close to the coast you really could not avoid what slight warm nose there was while the storm was south west of you. In the end it didn't matter because the rates when the cyclone went to your east were tremendous.

18 minutes ago, Jet Stream Rider said:

I figured you would switch back and get dumped on tramadoc. Last night when you were under the maritime influence and 36 with rain, I almost posted to try and reassure you but figured you would see for yourself soon enough. Elizabeth City is so close to the coast you really could not avoid what slight warm nose there was while the storm was south west of you. In the end it didn't matter because the rates when the cyclone went to your east were tremendous.

This is what surprised me about the storm lastnight. The flakes were tiny but there were millions of them.....a flizzard on steroids is what I was thinking all night but as it went on I noticed it getting deeper and deeper. Just did a check around the yard and averaged 4 inches in most places but was surprised to see 5 inches around the house where it was more protected from the wind. My son turns 2 tomorrow and he has had snow a couple days either side of his birthdays both years. hope we make this a tradition for him.

Crazy how it's still snowing

18 hours ago, beanskip said:

Sorry, duty called. We had an interesting event in Tallahassee. Precip was late to arrive -- by "arrive" I mean break through the single digit DPs that it encountered around midnight. Models showed first precip at 2-3 a.m. but it wasn't until 6 a.m. that anything made it through. We had a couple hours of light ZR and drizzle and sleet, then a magnificent 30-45 minutes of moderate snow -- big heavy flakes. I swear I think everybody in Tallahassee was out on their porch just marveling, knowing it's a sight that may not been seen again in Tallahassee in their lifetimes. It almost covered the ground before changing to sleet and ending.

Total measured precip at TLH was .03 -- just a fraction of what the NAM showed. GFS/HRRR were more in line on precip. Totals were higher to the east.

Still, it was magnificent and now it's all gone and I'm back at work!

THANK YOU @beanskip!! That is STILL pretty amazing in its own right. See...the @burgertime Show Shield Triangle held up and we did not get SHIZ man. It is all good though. This is exactly what was called for us to begin with. We had some decent returns over us on the radar, but it was just WAY TOO DRY to overcome. I guess i need to move out of this Triangle of Snow Death. HAHAHA. Have a good one and it is great to see you still posting. Take care. 

This snow is something we haven’t seen since 1989. Charleston is basically closed again today. Almost all roads are icy and snowy skating rinks. Most businesses are still closed, along with most other places of interest. The ice and sleet and freezing rain under the snow is what is making it hard for any of it to go. Gonna take some pictures today around the island and share them with you guys. 

Archived