joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 3-4th Coastal Crusher OBS

buckeyefan1

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WXSouth just posted this to his Facebook page.

Batton down the hatches and hold on tight along the East Coast--This thing is about to enter full Beast Mode and is going to max out its energy all along the East Coast in rare fashion from Florida to Canada, slamming the Entire Eastern Seaboard of America, in a nearly once in a lifetime setup.

All ingredients are now coming together rapidly with tremendous energy aloft, in the warm waters and incredible barocliinic thermal boundary, with a tremendous negative tilt southern trough about to fully phase in a very unusual spot in the Southeast. The fully phased storm will bomb out as it rides north, up the entire east Coast, hugging the Coast and producing Blizzard Conditions from North Carolina to Maine as time goes by. Heavy snow and ice totals all the way to Florida and Georgia with the biggest snow and ice drop in Georgia to Florida in Decades.

The system is pulling further west, having an earlier head start than forecast in the northeast Gulf of Mexico and will rapidly intensify and expand through the eastern halves of the Carolinas and Virginia and now places more areas of the Piedmont in snow totals as well. But the blizzard portion should reside from eastern North Carolina, eastern Virginia and up the Eastern Seaboard late tonight and Thursday, with up to a foot of windswept snow, and possibly thundersnow and thundersleet episodes very near the immediate east coast at times, with increasing winds.
If your area was expected to be on the western edge of the storm, pay close attention now and some forecasts have already been changed, many more are likely to be changed and includes some major metros like Columbia, Charlotte, Raleigh, Richmond and DC.  This is a dynamite setup and the fuse has been lit, now it's wait and see.
Following the storm, more intense cold comes well south, with below zero Wind Chills again as far south as Alabama, Georgia and the Carolinas.

7 AM Advisories

8 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

Not sure if you’ve seen it but the 6z GFS was 18(!) degrees off with the current dew point. It thinks our dew point is -7 and it’s currently 11.

very interesting - my temp rose 4 degrees since 11 pm and my DP skyrocketed

actually work in Gaffney - wouldn't surprise me to see some flurries today

3 minutes ago, superjames1992 said:

Light flurries at the moment at my apartment in NE Tallahassee.  Nothing in the ground at the moment.

That's awesome!  Will you please move to Raleigh...your a snow magnet.  It's official, Tallahassee has more snow today then all the past 3 years for Raleigh.

14 minutes ago, sctvman said:

Josh Marthers is talking about upping the totals in some parts of the Charleston area to possibly 4-8”. 

I think that's a solid bet just because if how long charleston will be in the bullseye.  I think savanaah up to charleston will Be a sweet spot for snow lovers.  I hope you guys score big today!!!

I don't think its going to take much to overcome the dry air, I just went to the store and already had came back to a dusting on my car here in Jacksonville NC, was surprised to see it.

Edit- looks like we had lake effect snow lol it blew towards the southwest from catfish lake.

Screenshot_20180103-082812.png

10 minutes ago, griteater said:

My grandmother lived in that area. Born in 1910. Most snow she can ever remember there was a dusting on the roof

I was born in Valdosta, most of the Family tree stil there. Get the same stories.

2 posotive this a.m. ( great reads GSP discussion and WX south). Everyone needs to check them out.  Summary 1st posotive is this sfc lp popping faster and futher west because energy dropping in backside stronger and way faster than models. 2cnd posotive is report of flures making it to ground in Raleigh by poster above.  Bottomed out at 9 degrees last night before clouds came in. If we can stay below 32 today,it'll be Sunday before we get above freezing possibly. That would be a solid week below freezing if that happens. Unheard of .

I'll keep you guys posted on how it looks in the Augusta, GA area.  We are just outside of the western edge of the warning/advisory zone currently so if we end up with anything it could be a good indication of over performance for midlands areas.  First radar returns are headed this way.

1-3-18.PNG

5 minutes ago, buckeyefan1 said:

Bridges are all closed from here to Savannah. Nice coating of ice on everything already, walking to my car was interesting. Sleet, snow and zr falling at the moment. 

Charleston bridges are getting ready to all close up. Northbound Ashley River Bridge (US 17) is closed. Freezing rain and sleet depending on where you are. 

I got some good use out of my ice/frost scraper this morning.  I wasn't sure I'd ever find a use for that down here.  Looks like there was a little more icing than I thought (still not much, though), though things are starting to improve now with the sun peeking through.  The roads are also fine, although that may not have been the case earlier, and they still do have bridges closed.

Kind of underwhelming, but I guess your expectations can't be too high when you live in FL, LOL.

Archived