• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 4th 2018 Fish Bomb

Rjay

To much emphasis on the benchmark here.  Overall it works as a benchmark, even for this storm, but the size and configuration of every east coast low is different and this one is more different than most.  Think about the configuration of the best lift and moisture around the extratropical part of Sandy...the heaviest precip was quite far to the west.  Outside the BM could be ideal in this situation.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is no one talking about the ratios? This storm might be the first one in a while to verify 15-20-1 ratios widespread for areas more than 20 miles from the coast. .5” of liquid could easily be 8”-10”. I would love a met’s opinion on this. Wicked cold air through the CCB and the winds shouldn’t be too bad away from the coast. Seems like prime snow growth to me. 

9 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

To much emphasis on the benchmark here.  Overall it works as a benchmark, even for this storm, but the size and configuration of every east coast low is different and this one is more different than most.  Think about the configuration of the best lift and moisture around the extratropical part of Sandy...the heaviest precip was quite far to the west.  Outside the BM could be ideal in this situation.

What are your thoughts for our areas?

12 minutes ago, Blizzard-on-GFS said:

Why is no one talking about the ratios? This storm might be the first one in a while to verify 15-20-1 ratios widespread for areas more than 20 miles from the coast. .5” of liquid could easily be 8”-10”. I would love a met’s opinion on this. Wicked cold air through the CCB and the winds shouldn’t be too bad away from the coast. Seems like prime snow growth to me. 

Wind will break/smash dendrites keeping accumulation down. 

I think some need the 5 post rule - please. I have been following this threat since yesterday and at least 20% of the posts in this thread are ruining for people like me who don't know much, want to learn, and want to get a TRUE handle on what is going to happen with this storm.

Just now, Brasiluvsnow said:

Eric besides West of the benchmark help me out what am I looking at ?

Consistently having heavier precip and slp west of each consecutive run.  Def more in line with the nam wrf as opposed to the globals. One more tick West puts lots of jersey into big snowfall totals

2 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

The GFS has a more broad 250mb jet streak, allowing heavier precipitation to spread farther west. The 500mb setup is more favorable with a more tucked area of PVA. Overall leads to a stronger, farther NW LP. I personally think the Canadian guidance is out to lunch after seeing this move by the GFS.

5a4d4dbfe932f_18zgfs1318500mb.thumb.gif.d916cb2512d41f4c4841ed29995ea649.gifgfs_z500_vort_us_fh18_trend.thumb.gif.16875e6b8fdda1fc10cade6df10c1561.gif

Doesn’t translate... cut down western totals 

Archived