Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 4th 2018 Fish Bomb

Rjay

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

Things on the NAM shut down by me pretty quickly around noon, last a good bit longer your way. And yeah, that grey area would have several inch per hour rates in spots probably. 

Heaviest snow for the Metro is likely 8am - noon with a quick drop off  thereafter.  There may be a period overnight where it’s moderate for a time but I mid to late morning is the worst 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Potential is there. We did 32 inches on Boxing Day and that was mostly a coastal event; areas 30 miles to my west had only a few inches. Other times the storms skip just south of us and head east. Or rather the best bands do....

What did you get in Jan 2016?

Just now, jm1220 said:

I mean, even NW folks should be intrigued at the trends on most guidance so far. It won't be an all out blizzard there but it won't take much for 6" to get west of the city in a lucky band or two. 

Depending on how things play out I feel like I could end with 2” or as high as 8”. No clue what will happen

Anyone else think all these models are still underdoing QPF? I mean, unless this is occluding and skunked out, I have a hard time believing it will only put down .75-1.25 in a lot of places. That little fast hitter last winter dumped 14-17" over a fairly wide area and it was decidedly not a 950s bomb out of the Bahamas.

1 minute ago, Hoth said:

Anyone else think all these models are still underdoing QPF? I mean, unless this is occluding and skunked out, I have a hard time believing it will only put down .75-1.25 in a lot of places. That little fast hitter last winter dumped 14-17" over a fairly wide area and it was decidedly not a 950s bomb out of the Bahamas.

Who ever is under those death bands is gonna jackpot..

28 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Things on the NAM shut down by me pretty quickly around noon, last a good bit longer your way. And yeah, that grey area would have several inch per hour rates in spots probably. 

I think we have a very decent chance of double digit totals here.

Lee Goldberg has us in 9-12 inches.

10 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

I mean, even NW folks should be intrigued at the trends on most guidance so far. It won't be an all out blizzard there but it won't take much for 6" to get west of the city in a lucky band or two. 

Think JFK verifies blizzard conditions? I would say yes- they are usually the windiest location in the area lol.

8 minutes ago, Hoth said:

My memory is a little short of stellar but I've noticed in the past that models rarely seem to drastically under-forecast peak liquid in big coastals. More specific to this system, the rapid movement is the biggest limiting factor... on the 3km NAM, the low center travels more than 550 miles between 12z Thursday and 00z Friday. Any location should struggle to see precip for significantly longer than a 12-hour period.

Archived