• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 4th 2018 Fish Bomb

Rjay

My sister says its been snowing west of Raleigh. 
Tbh, I really believe the models are having issues letting go of this warm core scenario. Warm cores produce precipitation via latent heat release. At northern latitudes, obviously, this does not happen. The models are, for some reason, not seeing the baroclinicity side of this and therefore limiting any precip that can be expanded on the western side. A sub 960mb storm off of the delmarva coast...

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tbh, I really believe the models are having issues letting go of this warm core scenario. Warm cores produce precipitation via latent heat release. At northern latitudes, obviously, this does not happen. The models are, for some reason, not seeing the baroclinicity side of this and therefore limiting any precip that can be expanded on the western side. A sub 960mb storm off of the delmarva coast...

6 minutes ago, USCG RS said:
20 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

It looks to be keeping more west for how long, is the question.

1 minute ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

Thats why you should just chill with the dry air stuff. We are going to get a few inches adding to our snowpack and maybe more next week. 

1 minute ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

Thats why you should just chill with the dry air stuff. We are going to get a few inches adding to our snowpack and maybe more next week. 

Ooooook lol....:weenie:

1 minute ago, Ericjcrash said:

rgem_apcpn_neus_fh30_trend.gif

3-6/4-8

Similiar to the Nam

Lets see what the GFS shows but the models don't mean a lot at this point.

Consesus is for 3-6/4-8 for NYC but that might be more or even less depending on how far out the precip extends and where the bands sets up. Tomorrow should be an interesting day.

I have to work outside in it so I am looking forward to it

I'm not sure why people are looking at most of these models while the storm is ongoing considering they've already busted pretty badly for a lot of places.

Models will probably be playing catch-up throughout and radar trends suggest things will end up further west.

Trends reminiscent of last year's March storm, which ultimately ended up too far west for us.

Just now, SnoSki14 said:

I'm not sure why people are looking at most of these models while the storm is ongoing considering they've already busted pretty badly for a lot of places.

Models will probably be playing catch-up throughout and radar trends suggest things will end up further west.

Even a few pros are saying that. It's not a historic monster, but it is a wicked storm. I wouldn't go out in it.

The NAMs initialized much too strong with the LP and with a terrible representation of actual conditions across the NE. The 12km NAM is about 10mb too strong, and 3km has nearly double the error. They don’t even have precipitation into Virginia at this time period; however, it is currently snowing heavily in Cape May. You can’t take a model seriously when it initializes so poorly.

4E3950EF-5896-44F7-91C3-8EFE8AAA6AD0.thumb.png.a0d7caef39db73de8ee2657e3519e0d7.png

6CC6C818-94BA-4341-B181-DD3CA9517667.png

3174503D-2B9F-44D7-8D8A-C4A504B089F3.gif.bde34b44cca2c334683b0a7e16e7f9fd.gif

Final call: 

2" or less for Sussex, Warren, western Orange County, northern Lehigh Valley

2-5" for 25 miles or more northwest of I-95, Rockland County, Putnam, eastern Orange County

5-7" for most of NYC (where there's about 0.5" liquid on most models now), Westchester, Fairfield County CT, SW along I-95 to just east of Trenton

7-10" for southeastern Queens and Nassau, western 1/3 of Suffolk as well as NJ shore (NAM, GFS, UKMET have upwards of 0.75"+ liquid here and RGEM just got wetter/further west), central CT

10-13" for central and eastern Suffolk, eastern CT, where models have in some cases over 1" liquid and banding looks to be strongest

29 minutes ago, USCG RS said:
43 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

I think it's awesome that the rain/snow line is staying close to the coast.  Cape Cod and SE NE wont be the jackpot area from this storm, they're going to get mixed precip or rain.

3 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Final call: 

2" or less for Sussex, Warren, western Orange County, northern Lehigh Valley

2-5" for 25 miles or more northwest of I-95, Rockland County, Putnam, eastern Orange County

5-7" for most of NYC (where there's about 0.5" liquid on most models now), Westchester, Fairfield County CT, SW along I-95 to just east of Trenton

7-10" for southeastern Queens and Nassau, western 1/3 of Suffolk as well as NJ shore (NAM, GFS, UKMET have upwards of 0.75"+ liquid here and RGEM just got wetter/further west), central CT

10-13" for central and eastern Suffolk, eastern CT, where models have in some cases over 1" liquid and banding looks to be strongest

Sounds good. Only caveat, southern SI and NJ towns just across the Arthur Kill could go a little higher IMO, or not.....potential is there and they have sometimes cashed in on the shore storms at times. But that's just my inner weenie talking....

Archived