Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 4th 2018 Fish Bomb

Rjay

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

Dewpt. at KSWF went from +5 to +9 in 1 hour.

Will see I’m just always skeptical inland...I’ve drove in to 84 and had snow, with echoes plenty of times, then 5 miles north cloudy sky’s and not a flake...

‘’if your looking for something to hold onto Raleigh has widespread 6" reports..they were forecasted 0 lol

3AEA22F7-5FD8-45C7-B69B-3311F741E532.jpeg

12 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

It’s not even the LP position, it’s the insanely dry air and mid level confluence northwest of the city. It was clear as day that this was going to be a huge problem but those warnings were ignored by some. The NAM finally saw the subsidence. Have a good night everyone. 

I checked the 0z nam. Looks about the same on my block. 2-4 inches. hearing 15-1 or 20-1 snow ratios.

NAM smokes coastal NJ.

13 minutes ago, Drz1111 said:

3KM NAM is odd.  The precip in the comma head is all smeared out and there’s not much mid level lift and convergence.  It’s almost as if there are two quasi separate storms - a Miller A that occludes before it can give us good rates, and then a Miller B that forms ENE of us and hits New England, and we’re left with no dynamics and just moderate snow.

Interesting.

2 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Will see I’m just always skeptical inland...I’ve drove in to 84 and had snow, with echoes plenty of times, then 5 miles north cloudy sky’s and not a flake...

‘’if your looking for something to hold onto Raleigh has widespread 6" reports..they were forecasted 0 lol

3AEA22F7-5FD8-45C7-B69B-3311F741E532.jpeg

Yup it will be interesting how this all pans out.

1 minute ago, Animal said:

I checked the 0z nam. Looks about the same on my block. 2-4 inches. hearing 15-1 or 20-1 snow ratios.

NAM smokes coastal NJ.

Being on the western edge of Raritan Bay across the kill from SI sometimes we get the bombs that hit the coast, like Boxing Day, other times it just barely misses us. I think both are realistic scenarios, though the misses happen more.

15 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Most will start as virga imo...but north and west of nyc will likely be virga for a long time if we don’t get heavier echoes...I’m 100% convinced, despite snow maps and nonsense showing 2-3 inches up this wat (84 corridor) we flurry entire duration 

Idk, city and LI should snow fairly quickly. Snowed immediately in Cape May under light 15dBZ echoes.

4 minutes ago, Animal said:

I thought the 0 z NAM was very solid for Long Island.

We never had a chance of more than 4 inches out west of 287.

NAM cut back very slightly where I am but it’s still a very nice event for sure. So far the trends are good IMO for the city and east. West of the city we just have to see how far the bands get. 

12 minutes ago, Animal said:

I thought the 0 z NAM was very solid for Long Island.

We never had a chance of more than 4 inches out west of 287.

My forecast from this afternoon looks solid for Morris/Sussex area.  2-4" S.E. Morris - 1-3" NW and 1-2" Sussex. 

Big winners so to speak will be immediate coastal NJ (6-10") and central and eastern LI (5-7 Nassau - 7-12" Suffolk)

4-6" NYC and immediate NE NJ burbs.  NW of I95 amounts will taper quickly and north of 78 and west of 287 1-4" from NW to SE look like reasonable numbers.

Dry air initially (especially NW) is going to eat into QPF and ratios on AVERAGE will be at best 12:1 most places.

Storm will be bombing out but it will be moving fast and banding not likely to save the day for inland portions of NJ.

4 minutes ago, ILoveWinter said:

Cut back for everyone including NE.  Only place it didn't was VA tidewater.  Seems quite odd that even most portions of NE (including further from coast) and LI would not exceed 10 or so. 

I wouldnt pay a lot of attention to it

Archived