Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 4th 2018 Fish Bomb

Rjay

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Cheticus said:

If I remember correctly, my Sophomore year of HS a winter storm on MLK Day 1994 in Westchester gave us a mixed bag of snow and sleet and freezing rain.  It went below zero the next few days at night and the salt on the roads didn't work- I remember going out with my Mom and the roads were like dirt roads the ice was so bad. We were off the whole week!

Yes the ice was epic. Seen nothing like it before or since.

1 minute ago, Snow88 said:

LI gets crushed on the hi res nam

Cutback for the NYC area but still a nice storm on the Hi Res

Should we be bothered with models any longer? The storm is already happening. If we have to wait for a couple hours before the storm starts for accurate info, what's the point of tracking?

Just now, Rtd208 said:

Honestly I could care less what the models show at this point as nowcasting has become much more important from this point forward.

Radar looks very impressive with the band shooting up here

Looks further west than what the models show it. I think the models might be struggling with the western extent of the precip shield. We might have some surprises tomorrow.

1 minute ago, Snow88 said:

Looks further west than what the models show it. I think the models might be struggling with the western extent of the precip shield. We might have some surprises tomorrow.

I have a feeling models are doing just fine at this point, they’re almost all converging on a solution...that dry air is legit

Just now, Snow88 said:

That is really what some mets are saying, while there will be sharp cutoffs, they believe there will be decent snows into eastern NJ, more at the shore, maybe NNJ north of Essex won't do as well. we'll see. Most schools are canceled already.

2 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

3k Nam now takes the LP well east of prev runs

It’s not even the LP position, it’s the insanely dry air and mid level confluence northwest of the city. It was clear as day that this was going to be a huge problem but those warnings were ignored by some. The NAM finally saw the subsidence. Have a good night everyone. 

1 minute ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

I have a feeling models are doing just fine at this point, they’re almost all converging on a solution...that dry air is legit

Where are you thinking it will be most pronounced ( I don't discount dry air I have seen it happen, Dec 2009....Jan 89 and so on.....

3KM NAM is odd.  The precip in the comma head is all smeared out and there’s not much mid level lift and convergence.  It’s almost as if there are two quasi separate storms - a Miller A that occludes before it can give us good rates, and then a Miller B that forms ENE of us and hits New England, and we’re left with no dynamics and just moderate snow.

1 minute ago, snowman19 said:

It’s not even the LP position, it’s the insanely dry air and mid level confluence northwest of the city. It was clear as day that this was going to be a huge problem but those warnings were ignored by some. The NAM finally saw the subsidence. Have a good night everyone. 

Take a look. Amount are slightly higher NW of the City this run.

I mean, the well inland guys are right that whoever ends up on the NW side of the ‘last’ band might get a dusting while someone 10miles to their SW gets a foot.  But it’s an open question as to where that band sets up (and in the 3KM NAM view of the world, there is no band)

1 minute ago, weatherpruf said:

Where are you thinking it will be most pronounced ( I don't discount dry air I have seen it happen, Dec 2009....Jan 89 and so on.....

Most will start as virga imo...but north and west of nyc will likely be virga for a long time if we don’t get heavier echoes...I’m 100% convinced, despite snow maps and nonsense showing 2-3 inches up this wat (84 corridor) we flurry entire duration 

Archived