Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 4th 2018 Fish Bomb

Rjay

3 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

WOrking in schools, I can tell you social media has made a huge difference, and a bunch of parents posting negative stuff on facebook with pictures of kids sliding around and falling and shivering is just bad PR. Shut em down and make the day up later.

Most schools have snow days built in to the end of the year anyway.

i.e. we used to have 3 days.  If you used all three of these days, you got out on the scheduled last day of school.  If you used less than 3, you ended up getting out earlier.  Of course, going over the limit of 3 meant staying in school later.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

Most schools have snow days built in to the end of the year anyway.

i.e. we used to have 3 days.  If you used all three of these days, you got out on the scheduled last day of school.  If you used less than 3, you ended up getting out earlier.  Of course, going over the limit of 3 meant staying in school later.

Yeah, in 94 I was teaching in Elizabeth. We went to school til June 30th, the last legal day for school. Since Sandy, most schools now build in 3 days and also begin chopping winter holidays like Presidents Day immediately if they need to. Spring break comes next. some years we have had Good Friday and that was it....

32 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Like I was saying.... u better get heavy echoes in or that western shields dying off 

341E5B4C-6930-4BD7-917A-CBC5501CF457.jpeg

You would need the system to head more in a northerly direction to punch into that dry air to give us more QPF. Inland up this way we will have the dry artic air pouring down the Hudson valley eating up the moisture.

6 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

They were caught off guard I think like everyone else by the snow starting at 2-3am instead of the 7-9am forecast.  

They also had phone chains back in the day....now you get a text....and can check the school website....trouble is I sleep through the text sometimes and forget to check....

3 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Yeah, in 94 I was teaching in Elizabeth. We went to school til June 30th, the last legal day for school. Since Sandy, most schools now build in 3 days and also begin chopping winter holidays like Presidents Day immediately if they need to. Spring break comes next. some years we have had Good Friday and that was it....

I believe there was something like 10-12 snow days that year (my first out of HS). I never came close to that during my years in school

I was in middle school for both big winters in the 1990s. 1994 was worse; we went to school on a Saturday in March to make up time.

4 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

They also had phone chains back in the day....now you get a text....and can check the school website....trouble is I sleep through the text sometimes and forget to check....

Lol I remember waking up around 530 to wait for that phone to ring. We also had the siren which was dumb since you couldn't really hear it

24 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

That image is actually pretty telling. It shows the low-level jet nicely and is probably a good indicator of why the storm heads almost due East from Deleware.

If the low center speeds up, or the low level jet wraps up a little more it could sneak up a little more before being swatted out to the east.

18 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

WOrking in schools, I can tell you social media has made a huge difference, and a bunch of parents posting negative stuff on facebook with pictures of kids sliding around and falling and shivering is just bad PR. Shut em down and make the day up later.

or people are just soft these days....AND social media has effed up society...but i digress

9 minutes ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

You would need the system to head more in a northerly direction to punch into that dry air to give us more QPF. Inland up this way we will have the dry artic air pouring down the Hudson valley eating up the moisture.

How dare you discuss the storm and not banter about snow days!  We always seem to have this dry air battle up here. 

Lol I remember waking up around 530 to wait for that phone to ring. We also had the siren which was dumb since you couldn't really hear it

We’re dating ourselves. I know that feeling well! It was AWESOME to go to bed late after the weather report and wake up to an early morning phone call.

The western low is clearly dominant based on recent longwave IR imagery. You can see the low-level circulation immediately SE of the cluster of thunderstorms that is over the Gulf Stream.  As long as that convection remains dominant the next 3-6 hours, I see no reason why this won't continue to parallel the coast. Globals have struggled with this, and even short-term hi-res guidance has jumped around with how the dominant low evolves if you look at trend maps the past ~6 hours on the HRRR and RAP. 

grayson1.thumb.gif.1a58f24f881dbeadfb95eef4f8a2cf10.gif

1 hour ago, NJwx85 said:

That image is actually pretty telling. It shows the low-level jet nicely and is probably a good indicator of why the storm heads almost due East from Deleware.

There is going to be a very sharp cutoff northwest of the city and I mean real sharp. That incredibly dry air at mid and low levels depicted in that graphic posted is very telling plus there is going to be strong confluence at 700mb NW of the city. Subsidence and dry air are going to be a big issue west of the city. The new LR HRRR is showing this. I can see a virga fest for a long time and a bust coming

Archived