Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 4th 2018 Fish Bomb

Rjay

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

no it does not. vorticity is not a measure for location of vertical motion. it can be inferred but it’s misleading to say the bright red is where the band ends up. 

I was going to say the same thing.   That was a misleading post.

4 minutes ago, LovintheWhiteFluff said:

Essentially a negative tilted trough will allow it to stay closer to the coast. A progressive or positive tilted trough will allow it to be further off the coast. 

Yes to an extent, and in a normal situation definitely.

This however is far from a normal situation and there is so much energy kicking in on the backside of the trough that really doesn’t phase very well that it still winds up pushing it east even though it’s negatively tilted. 

A better process would be to watch surface reflections of the processes occurring in my opinion. I just don’t want people under the impression that a bit more negatively tilted would mean a drastically different solution (not implying that is what you’re conveying). We saw last night how even an improved shortwave strength and orientation can still be pushed east very quickly on the model guidance.

No one should be speaking in absolutes as it relates to banding.  It is impossible to predict for any model or person.  You hope that when the event gets going you are under the bands that form.  Sure, certain areas have a better shot at getting banding, but we have seen time and again these models struggle mightily with dynamic events.  I'm not sure why we are surprised now.

1 minute ago, EastonSN+ said:

Deep thunder on Mike V. Twitter shows central CT jackpot of 23 inches. Shows 7.9 for Manhattan. The trend is in line with the other models it seems with a track a bit further east, and the precip expanding further west.

Thanks for posting. I was wondering what that model was showing.

Archived