SnowHabit
Jan 4th 2018 Fish Bomb

Rjay

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

1-2 outside city, 2-5 roughly around, more towards Long Island

So pretty much the 0z model consensus then. Maybe (hopefully) some room for further improvements at 12z but things are trending to a 3-6" type storm in NYC, less west and possibly a foot well east in Suffolk. Decent but the main story on this for most of us will be the cold behind it. 

13 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Can't see maps yet but seeing a crazy hit for eastern New England (going by comments on the NE forum) may not be great for NYC area. Although the kicker not being so much an influence and not the crazy bomb/stacking east of Wilmington, NC like the NAM might not be so bad.

ecmwf_tprecip_nyc_9.png

ecmwf_tprecip_boston_10.png

1 minute ago, Ericjcrash said:

If you wanted to weenie out and ride the 3k NAM you don't need any time. Either way getting a cyclone this strong will be epic.

I would love for the 3K to verify but sadlly it won't. This will be epic in eastern sections only and I understand the dynamics involved but I want snow. 

The models generally had a westward trend tonight.  And we've had surprises with snow amounts in systems far less dynamic than this.  Who's to say we don't have something like that in store for this either?  It's not as if we need drastic swings to make significant changes to accumulations here.

Just now, Rtd208 said:

Like I said in a previous post, more concerned about improvements aloft versus QPF amounts. Curious to see what the EPS/ensembles show.

Completely agree.  Many pro mets have expressed the same sentiments on Twitter.  No one knows the end result, and the upper air patterns may never translate to the surface, but one small step at a time is all we need, even if we are 30 hours or so from start time.

3 minutes ago, NYCGreg said:

The models generally had a westward trend tonight.  And we've had surprises with snow amounts in systems far less dynamic than this.  Who's to say we don't have something like that in store for this either?  It's not as if we need drastic swings to make significant changes to accumulations here.

Xmas day...that band set up 150 miles west of modeled...not impossible to get a surprise here 

Archived