SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 4th 2018 Fish Bomb

Rjay

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I’d put the William Floyd as the line that really looks good east of. You and me will be watching the radar and nail biting over how far the real banding can make it (based on what I’ve seen so far). Surprises can happen, but lows that track east of the benchmark are rarely a big deal for the NYC area. I could see an outcome where the outer deform band can reach western LI and we see a few inches more than Manhattan. But our storm isn’t looking to be remotely like Boston’s. At least it doesn’t look like a completely in or out deal where it goes from 10” to nothing in 30 miles. Most models have at least some light snow totals reaching into NJ and even the Lehigh Valley. 
Just before kickoff

If only there was a little blocking to slow this all down a little. This would be an absolute monster even for us if that was the case. The blocking is what saved Boxing Day from being a fish, which the models caught very late, in addition to Gulf convection pumping heights ahead of it. 

I'm not completely giving up on higher NYC totals yet, but my first guess earlier still looks good to me. And the cold coming behind this to me isn't being appreciated enough. It'll be absolutely brutal for a good 48 hour period Fri-Sat with 3-6" new snow on the ground even in the city. 

17 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

This storm should provide a good test. The 3 km NAM is supposed to handle convection better than the 12 km version. It is an outlier in terms of its 0z solution.

The latent heat release may also pump the ridge out ahead of it leading to additional westward ticks.

1 minute ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Chance of atleast .25 on gefs...I’d say that’s a good sign for western folks...2.5" is likely 3-5"

30B5BF08-2320-4318-B73B-4548D5DB0A89.png

I said this to myself before when the GFS was out to lunch.  Is it nice to see the model trending westward?  Absolutely.  But it's hard to get on board with anything the model does at this point, as it is not good.

Archived