SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 4th 2018 Fish Bomb

Rjay

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again, east and weaker down south near SC might not be terrible for us. We just saw in the NAM run what happens when the low bombs and stacks too quickly. I’m more interested in the kicker wave behind the low, and when it comes in. That will determine if the heavy snow can make it into our area or if it gets kicked to New England. 

19 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

The RGEM should help tell the tale soon. If it has a better outcome the NW bump may be onto something. If it’s lame like the 12k NAM, that’s what’s more believable. 

12k is still good out here in eastern Nassau. I think the city is the big question mark for this one. Anywhere east of me (wantagh) looks good 

2 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

12k is still good out here in eastern Nassau. I think the city is the big question mark for this one. Anywhere east of me (wantagh) looks good 

I’d put the William Floyd as the line that really looks good east of. You and me will be watching the radar and nail biting over how far the real banding can make it (based on what I’ve seen so far). Surprises can happen, but lows that track east of the benchmark are rarely a big deal for the NYC area. I could see an outcome where the outer deform band can reach western LI and we see a few inches more than Manhattan. But our storm isn’t looking to be remotely like Boston’s. At least it doesn’t look like a completely in or out deal where it goes from 10” to nothing in 30 miles. Most models have at least some light snow totals reaching into NJ and even the Lehigh Valley. 

1 minute ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Great as in 2mdays a go this was a whiff...and RGEM gives 

Great as in over a foot on the eastern end, and 6-12 elsewhere ...u done now?

8E44D8C0-DC94-4096-8E8E-4507BB80BA95.png

we have different perspectives on the term "great". Going to 4 Phish shows is great. This is like a bunt single considering the magnitude of the system. It's good, not great.

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

I’d put the William Floyd as the line that really looks good east of. You and me will be watching the radar and nail biting over how far the real banding can make it (based on what I’ve seen so far). Surprises can happen, but lows that track east of the benchmark are rarely a big deal for the NYC area. I could see an outcome where the outer deform band can reach western LI and we see a few inches more than Manhattan. But our storm isn’t looking to be remotely like Boston’s. At least it doesn’t look like a completely in or out deal where it goes from 10” to nothing in 30 miles. Most models have at least some light snow totals reaching into NJ and even the Lehigh Valley. 

This is purely speculative but based on what happened with that first December storm may be a play here. The best band wound up 150 miles NW of where it was forecast. I have this gut that we see a displaced heavier band. We will not know where that sets up until go time, but I can see it being somewhere near the city.

as far as the main deform with the real crazy rates and totals I have always felt that’s out over the forks up into eastern New England 

This is purely speculative but based on what happened with that first December storm may be a play here. The best band wound up 150 miles NW of where it was forecast. I have this gut that we see a displaced heavier band. We will not know where that sets up until go time, but I can see it being somewhere near the city.

as far as the main deform with the real crazy rates and totals I have always felt that’s out over the forks up into eastern New England 

Yes, all should keep the December storm in mind for where decent snows can fall. That was not an intense snowfall, but that significant band developed well west (PA vs. LI) of forecasted models the day of...

To me if it completely covers the grass and blows/drifts with probably below zero temperatures over the weekend, how much more winter can you ask for in this area? I definitely think we’re getting that. The focus for this storm was always eastern New England and the question was how far west from there this can get. Typical of Nina winters with no blocking, our lousy longitude sometimes and the reason Boston averages 45” of snow a winter and NYC 28”. 

1 minute ago, weatherlogix said:

if you sensationalize everything as great, how will you be able to separate average from what is actually great? this a massively powerful storm that will likely underachieve for most because of timing and other factors. 

The qualifications are relative to the storm being tracked. If it's always not great not being in the bullseye of a monster then why even track the storm? 

Archived