Newest Member
    SnowHabit
JAN 4th Coastal

H2O

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Got precip west of the bay. Looks like a lower qpf version of the euro. I'm telling you, the gfs is going to look like the smartest model when this is all said and done even though it was too far east for like 50 runs. 

Yup.  If the UKMET looks like the RGEM, then we may be on to something.   But then again, the UKMET gave us a full on shellacking 2 days ago and look where we're at now...

20 minutes ago, MD Snow said:

So flipping stubborn but making tiny shifts west nonetheless. We only need 75 miles more. 24 more hrs. 

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_fh48_trend-2.gif

It seems like a lot of west shifts yet the precip barely budges.

Like someone else said, seems like low placement is not that important.

I don't get this storm, it ties my head in knots. But I look at the past, and these types that get coastal areas and its party cloudy in DC, have happened numerous times.

7 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Euro is coming west. Book it. 

I wouldn't be surprised.  The GFS, both NAMs, and the GGEM have all come west from 00z to 12z.  If it were just the GFS and NAMs, I'd think they were catching up to the Euro.  But the GGEM was already west of the Euro, so it could be something else.

Just now, Bob Chill said:

We can joke around a lot right now and rightfully so. But if you objectively look at all the data since 6z, it has all broken in our favor. Even the GFS pushed precip west of the bay. Saying there is no chance west of the bay is basically saying ALL guidance is wrong under 60 hours. 

Staying home for 1-3 or heading to Cambridge for 6-10?

Just now, mitchnick said:

Since that's all that counts, that is I'm sure what everyone means.

It all comes down to how rigorous the shortwave is and can it back flow west of the bay. The RGEM is the most aggressive with the by far. Even though there is no traditional mechanism for the storm to have an expansive western shield, it can still "bully" its way west. That's exactly what the RGEM showed. Of course I think it's overdone but you have to admit that 6z and 0z so far have cracked the door a little. 

Just now, Bob Chill said:

Probably going to Cambridge. Of course my 80 year old mom gave me the "mom act" last night about not risking my life for her. lol. 

People are underplaying this could be a legit blizzard. How often do we get a storm with horizontally pouring snow and windchills approaching 20 below zero? Seriously, this could be a deadly storm if my fears are realized. One for the record books if everything goes right.

8 minutes ago, Subtropics said:

Mark my words- this is going to be a hit. The GFS has a known SE bias when it comes to coastal. I am going for 6'' in my backyard in MOCO. I have alerted family and friends to stock up on necessities. 

i will never mod your posts again if this works out in your backyard. 

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

We can joke around a lot right now and rightfully so. But if you objectively look at all the data since 6z, it has all broken in our favor. Even the GFS pushed precip west of the bay. Saying there is no chance west of the bay is basically saying ALL guidance is wrong under 60 hours. 

Yes, the GFS has continues to come west each run (other side of last night?)

Its looks like a 125 mile shift West altogether. Yet the Precip in our area seems to only have moved about 25 miles for whatever reasons.

3 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

Boom!  j/k  But some of the probabilities seem pretty bullish.

SnowAmt90Prcntl.thumb.png.1c5476de3bdd8377ff58b7c25857ad7b.png

snowProbGE02.thumb.png.520978643535eaade11da02bb5358462.png

Seems pretty spot on to me based on guidance.

• H2O unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF locked this topic

Archived