• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
JAN 4th Coastal

H2O

I know its not about looking at an L on a surface plot but I found this interesting and it isnt the only model doing this. Watch the progression of lp jump to tje NW here as the strong thermal gradient nearer the coast fires up. The "L" presents it nicely but you can see it actually follows the drop in pressures and isnt just a pretty red font on the map.26887f4ad0d1a3c3ede8e487afe4e0cd.gif&key=01edefda4556b4d1338e3a9654393e6d38bc06d99c9c982b48768823285087e1

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not NAM related per se but if we can get the lp to be near the outer banks/hatteras during its trek, I will take my chances from there. 100 miles east of there meh. Have seen enough times over the years the baroclinic zone or coastal front wreak havoc with systems as they near that area often altering track just enough. Get this to no more than 50 miles off OBX and I will take my chances.

1 minute ago, TowsonWeather said:

It's not just west, the way the 3rd piece is interacting is somewhat different. I don't want to get too technical on you guys, but it's less kickery and more phasey.

Sadly, it's still just the NAM. 

Obviously, need to let the run finish but slp slides almost due east from hours 42-45. Seems like the third piece is kicking it east to me. 

48 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Snowfall mean ticked up .5" or so at DCA, ticked up a little less at Baltimore.

Both around 3.5".

The Sref is is useless because the ARW members are so ridiculously over amped they skew it beyond reason. It's like if the gefs had a bunch of CRAS's  embedded in the ensemble. And frankly the other members aren't skilled enough to be worth picking through the individual members to try to pull anything meaningful from them. They just add noise. Their about as useless a tool for winter storm prediction as there is. 

Measurable snow back into dc and Baltimore on the 12km. Surface low is essentially in the same position, but as HM has been harping on Twitter, the western edge of the precip shield is about more than low position and strength. Lot of nuance in how the shortwaves interact. 

NAM doesn't cave. Keeps some hope alive for areas east of 95 to the bay. So close to something a little better. On one hand we know how these situations usually turn out for us. However, all we would need would be a 25-75 mile shift east on all the modeling to get the cities into accumulating snow. It's a tall order but at the same time it's not that far fetched. Still got 24 hrs and a lot of dynamics. 

Another thing to keep in mind is dry air. If this run verified, I would think you would only see snow on the eastern shore due to dry air. Someone could probably explain this better than me? There have been countless times when models get precip from coastals to 95 and show a sharp cutoff. Dry air usually wins out in these situations unless the storm tracks further west or is stronger than the model that gives snow to 95. Nowcasting will be essential with this one. If you see this storm strengthening and further west than what was modeled we may actually get snow to 95. 

18 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

yes, but also the more SW the NS vort is, the better chance for higher heights up the coast.  Think trough axis.

Yeah that final sw is pretty sharp- if it can dive in a tad further west, I think the low would gain some additional latitude with less tendency to be shunted eastward.

Obviously, need to let the run finish but slp slides almost due east from hours 42-45. Seems like the third piece is kicking it east to me. 
Remember when that 'kicker' as you refer to it was kicking the lp east down by SC? Then SC/NC? and now NC? Get the lp to near Hatteras. Focus short term. Imo that is our surface goal for now. From there we take our chances.

Just now, C.A.P.E. said:

Yup. In our region the immediate coast should do well. Pretty good chance of 6"+ SBY and east to the beaches. Just NW of there to about I-95 is still a big question mark in my mind.

the northern s/w did better this NAM run. it was more south than east, allowing some movement with the southern s/w and its precip shield back west. 

13 minutes ago, MD Snow said:

Another thing to keep in mind is dry air. If this run verified, I would think you would only see snow on the eastern shore due to dry air. Someone could probably explain this better than me? There have been countless times when models get precip from coastals to 95 and show a sharp cutoff. Dry air usually wins out in these situations unless the storm tracks further west or is stronger than the model that gives snow to 95. Nowcasting will be essential with this one. If you see this storm strengthening and further west than what was modeled we may actually get snow to 95. 

Models account for virga.  A bigger concern in my mind is for there to be more convection offshore which could rob the western edge of moisture. We’ve seen that happen before *cough*march2013*cough*

• H2O unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF locked this topic

Archived