Newest Member
    SnowHabit
JAN 4th Coastal

H2O

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Mdecoy said:

The whole "Its snowing in city XYZ and it wasn't modeled by the snowiest of models means we are in luck"

Never works.

I am sure there will numerous radar hallucinations and verga excitements; then letdowns, as well. "Why isn't it reaching the ground!?!?!?!"

Watch your language!!!  Children visit this board.

25 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Like I said, GFS is a better model than is often given credit for being. Everyone seems to remember the Euro victories but never its loses.

The GFS is about to be schooled from central and eastern parts of my area up into New England.  It may have accidentally backed it’s way into the correct idea with its east bias for your neck of the woods but it’s going to fail miserably at the very least from central Long Island up into Connecticut and New England which is a large sector of the eastern seaboard impacted by this 

7 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

I think it will over perform...just not here.  it could be an 899 low and I don't think it would matter.  learned quite a bit from this experience.   

We haven't learned anything until the storm is over. I'll be satisfied with gray slate Skies a Brisk Northeast wind and a few flurries here and there.

3 minutes ago, Wonderdog said:

We haven't learned anything until the storm is over. I'll be satisfied with gray slate Skies a Brisk Northeast wind and a few flurries here and there.

sorry I meant so far I learned a lot.  I read HM when he talked about the west side of the storm so I had realistic expectations combined with weenie optimism.  but point taken, it's not over yet.  I think we can manage Brisk Northeast wind for sure.  not sure about the slate gray skies or flurries.   

Here is a bold prediction...This isn’t happening! It can tick and bump west every run for a whole year into 2019 and it still won’t be our storm. There is nothing in place to cut off a 500 low and produce the type of energy needed to generate accumulating snows in our area. Perhaps A bit more favorable into southern MD and especially Eastern shore. RGEM, CMC, JMA, NAV, SREF are all unreliable guidance. Everyone here knows that. Further east and dry solutions win on this one. 

6 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

sorry I meant so far I learned a lot.  I read HM when he talked about the west side of the storm so I had realistic expectations combined with weenie optimism.  but point taken, it's not over yet.  I think we can manage Brisk Northeast wind for sure.  not sure about the slate gray skies or flurries.   

NWS for our area says 30% chance of snow wed. night. Thursday partly sunny with brisk winds from the nw.

6 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I know most have moved on but I personally can't wait to nowcast this monster.  We probably won't see a winter  storm of this strength south of our lat for another  25  years..who knows . And what a big jump west by the Euro.  Rarely see big shifts in track this close in with the Euro . That tells me there's sorting out still to come. 

50+ mb drop in 24 hours.  That's pretty good.

3 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

50+ mb drop in 24 hours.  That's pretty good.

that IS crazy.  So close to something memorable for many of us.  Congrats easterners.... I'll be looking at cirrus and waving.

Such a "waste" of a bomb.  Cant imagine if we would have had a little better trough orientation.  

6 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Of course...this is the direct inverse of The Panic Room. Hope, love, and wishful thinking were the foundation of these threads. Honestly, we needed something like this. Failing never felt so good for interior weenies (and we are ALL weenies), and the coast could produce in this pattern of cold and dry. 

It was fun. The radar hallucinations will be fun, and if a miracle does happen...

Sorry junior staff. 

why are you apologizing? waterboy removed storm mode. two banter threads are much better than one. 

10 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Yikes, seriously? I thought the beaches were locked in already but even that is in flux? Screw that I'll go ski in -20 windchills.

Definitely Oakland.  Cold AF but pure winter there right now.  Should get some good upslope as the winds crank out of the NW.  Lake was frozen over too.  

I leave for 1 hour, and now there's 2 camps, the trustworthy ops (imo), and then the Canadian and the short range models, which are probably the worst camp to be in

This is gonna be fun. Y'all can panic all you want, but that won't push this storm West. Bad track to begin with, not forming off of the coast of Georgia. I'm just here for the ride.

2 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

So the low takes a better track and we get less precip. lol. Oh the fun we have. 

I'm busy today and having been able to follow every post so forgive me if this was said but kudos to HM for pointing out that the low track is not the major factor for snowfall. Barring a drastic shift (possible) in slp track any snow we do or don't get will have to do with the interaction between the offshore low and the northern stream system and trough. The models are all over on that.  

3 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

FWIW, HM thinks our side of the low will be snowier than what the globals show. 3”+ back to Philly he thinks. Extrapolate that westward at your own risk. I extrapolate it to 12” IMBY.

I think 3 inches for Philly under the best of circumstances, translates into party cloudy for DC/ Baltimore, if I understand the gradient correctly.

• H2O unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF locked this topic

Archived