SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
JAN 4th Coastal

H2O

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple big ifs: If the NW Precip is underdone; If the east kick is delayed a few hours; If the track is 50 miles west of current guidance.

All or any combination of these factors could easily make this a legit snowstorm for DC Metro.  At this point I'm going to follow the mets and the forecasting pros on the forum.  I think they have done a great job over the last 24 hours explaining how these "If's" can happen and how they can't happen.  I still think this system has some tricks up its sleeve for better or worse.  Man this is a fun one to track!

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

That cutoff is gonna be real. We've seen it before. 1989 in NJ. Nothing to 10" over 15 miles in NJ was the ultimate example. But I'm ok with what the nam and gfs are doing. Are we really that pressed about getting 1"?  If so I apologize I'm not telling anyone what to be happy with. But if I can increase the chances of getting 3-5" at the cost of perhaps not getting 1" I'll take that. It will hurt for those that end up just west but we're increasing the chances some of us get a respectable snow here. 

1989 -- another classic La Niña favored teleconnection setup (+PNA and +NAO).

Recall -- the stronger the frontogenesis, the tighter the gradient. Wetter on the wet side, drier on the dry side. Some of us are going to be painfully close to several inches of snow possibly. 

Looks to me like CMC, RGEM, GFS and NAM all look pretty similar now in terms of the western edge of the precip. The amounts look fairly similar too if you believe the NAM totals are overdone, as they can often be, and you cut them back. Looks like generally 1-4 inches from just west of 95 to close to the bay, and then you go up from there as you head toward the beaches.

I feel sorry for all of you Mets and Pro Forecastors.  All week you've been telling everyone what could and should happen based on the models, only for everything to go to **** right before the event gets here.  Sure, you get pretty close and even with all of the uncertainty you're 70%+ accurate, but when things go boom or bust everyone can't wait to call you wrong.

Personally, I can't wait to call you all wrong!

13 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

Just an obs..current radar pushing returns into upstate SC.  No model I can find has precip that far NW.  Very easily could consolidate and pull toward the coast as the day move along but thought it was interesting nonetheless. 

The HRRR has those echoes (as it should!).  I'm not sure that radar hallucinations are going to be beneficial until 10 or 11pm tonight.  That might be the point where we start to see where the western edge is going to roughly set.

3 minutes ago, Ji said:

why are we still using the globals..especially the progressive ones like CMC and GFS

Maybe it's my inner weenie but I was kinda thinking that. If the high res models can't outperform the globals at 12-18 hours...what do we even have then for.  In seriousness I would weigh the rgem over the ggem at this range. And  since the upgrades last winter the nam has been better. Yea it still Nams sometimes but it's seemed to go off on weird tangents less than it uses to. Not saying the globals are wrong but at this range the high res should be considered. 

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

The 3k really pumps up the precip to the west once the storm bombs out. Unfortunately it is not in time for me. But DC sees some more snow from that wrap around band. And of course so does Westminster. Eastern winter this year. Horrifying for those of us to the west.

Actually, Eastern areas have scored the past 2 winters. 

1 minute ago, high risk said:

The next version of the HRRR (implementation late spring) will extend to 36h at 00,06,12,18z.   Here is precip from the 12z run this morning.   A little better on the west side of DC.compareqpfNE_00f13.gif.c2b0a1c2e46d274c34ad543b86980260.gif

Is that 0.10-0.25 QPF that DCA is in?  Just wanted to make sure of the QPF zones... looks like .20 at DCA or so

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Maybe it's my inner weenie but I was kinda thinking that. If the high res models can't outperform the globals at 12-18 hours...what do we even have then for.  In seriousness I would weigh the rgem over the ggem at this range. And  since the upgrades last winter the nam has been better. Yea it still Nams sometimes but it's seemed to go off on weird tangents less than it uses to. Not saying the globals are wrong but at this range the high res should be considered. 

This is my inner weenie chiming in too, but DT said that the RGEM was his secret weapon a while back. I hope he's right..

• H2O unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF locked this topic

Archived