Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
JAN 4th Coastal

H2O

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's mostly noise, though the NS s/w is a little further west/slower on this run. Diabatic PV production from all of that convection is continuing to cause havoc. This just isn't going to be modeled as well as we'd all like because of it.

Better to take a blend and hedge slightly NW towards the coastal front for now. I still think that's going to be an important player.

That nasty advected dry boundary layer wedge on the NW side is going to be a player as well. Could be a brutal cutoff on the west side of wherever that band decides to set up.

1 minute ago, pasnownut said:

My takeaway from this whole deal is that just like we see nice storms go POOF in seemingly the nicest of setups, they also can trend back from less than ideal setups into something.  It really is the fascination I think many of us have with Meteorology, and the challenges associated (of course IMBY snow totals trump everything). 

I think it safe to say that so far the 2017-18 shows us all to well to not discount the unexpected.  Not good for the hairline I know.

never ever never give up on a storm when its along the southeast coast.

12 minutes ago, MountainGeek said:

but....but......didn't Mr Chill and others declare a couple days back that this would be all-or-nothing affair? Fringe was not an option! So if it's not going to be nothing, then we have to get hammered.

And yeah, the latest RGEM and GFS are really gonna STING if verified, we on the western side have been getting the short end of the stick on every event so far this season.

with respect to the many talents that are on here, there was enough writing on the wall to see why it was written off by some A Teamers.  While I'm not at that level, I've always rooted for the underdog, and have seen "surprises" enough to know that while odds are sometimes slim, sometimes they are able to be overcome, like we see with this storm.  Trough axis/500's and pattern recognition largely argued against what is happening.  No matter the result, that is/was undeniable, and my weenie eyes saw what they did, but knew that at 4-5 days out, time was on our side.

carry on...

1 minute ago, ryanconway63 said:

I thought DT said this storm couldnt happen.....

It hasn’t happened yet.  There’s enough uncertainty with the western edge of precip that its anyone’s guess right now whether places like DC and Baltimore see nothing, flurries, or the elusive 1”.  Certainly makes this storm fun to track.

7 minutes ago, csnavywx said:

It's mostly noise, though the NS s/w is a little further west/slower on this run. Diabatic PV production from all of that convection is continuing to cause havoc. This just isn't going to be modeled as well as we'd all like because of it.

Better to take a blend and hedge slightly NW towards the coastal front for now. I still think that's going to be an important player.

That nasty advected dry boundary layer wedge on the NW side is going to be a player as well. Could be a brutal cutoff on the west side of wherever that band decides to set up.

That's my biggest takeaway today I think.  Well, that and the interaction of the northern stream s/w expanding the western shield of the precip or not.  Both are going to be hard to model and both have high risk.  I'm fully expecting to wake up to frozen brown on Thursday.  

2 minutes ago, nj2va said:

It hasn’t happened yet.  There’s enough uncertainty with the western edge of precip that its anyone’s guess right now whether places like DC and Baltimore see nothing, flurries, or the elusive 1”.  Certainly makes this storm fun to track.

I agree. Even if DC doesn't get much, this storm will probably be historic for some. Pretty sure I saw a statistic that said that SE South Carolina counties haven't have a winter storm warning in nearly 1700 days or something like that, so this is pretty insane. 

2 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

with respect to the many talents that are on here, there was enough writing on the wall to see why it was written off by some A Teamers.  While I'm not at that level, I've always rooted for the underdog, and have seen "surprises" enough to know that while odds are sometimes slim, sometimes they are able to be overcome, like we see with this storm.  Trough axis/500's and pattern recognition largely argued against what is happening.  No matter the result, that is/was undeniably, and my weenie eyes saw what they did, but knew that at 4-5 days out, time was on our side.

carry on...

Definitely, no slight to Mr Chill or the other experts here, I really enjoy the analysis and find the MA group second to none as far as the collective brainpower of all the A-listers and red-taggers. The element of unpredictability is what makes this fun!

The idea is if we can hold them to their earlier assessment, that means we have no choice now but to get pummeled.

1 minute ago, yoda said:

Should we care about the ensembles on the 18z GFS, or is it too close in?

If they come in wetter like the EPS did I think it will add another level of intrigue.  Whether we should care or not is tough to say.  My two cents is the ensembles will be useful through 0z because of the complexity associated with this storm.

15 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

You can see what the gfs is doing. Hard time resolving convection. 3 low centers and it chose the weenie one to be primary. 

gfs_mslp_pcpn_eus_6.png

I'll tell you what bud, were that to be the case, then much more notable surprises could be had for many here.  I'm still largely fringed, but I may see flakes and not cirrus.  I hope it happens, but my gut says, we see a more consolidated look at 0Z and it ticks east.  Just my hunch.

I keep harping on the coastal front off GA/SC/FL because that's where the best mass convergence to initiate convection is likely to initially be -- so if we're going to kick-start a low, it's probably going to be tied with that. There will certainly be convection further southeast, tied to the old 850 front, but imo, best spot for initiation is just off NE FL.

17 minutes ago, WeathermanB said:

But it's similar to a lot of different runs. Are you gonna come up with something other than the basic opinion "weenies"?

You're a quality addition to the board. Not sure how we muddled through without you for so long. To think I had to survive all those years without constant updates on the probability of Delaware school closings...

4 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

I'll tell you what bud, were that to be the case, then much more notable surprises could be had for many here.  I'm still largely fringed, but I may see flakes and not cirrus.  I hope it happens, but my gut says, we see a more consolidated look at 0Z and it ticks east.  Just my hunch.

Hey, I'll gladly eat my words and I have no problem saying I blew it. I'm good like that. If there was ever a chance of a trough going neutral over FL panhandle, no blocking, no high to the north, and storm being born off the Florida coast giving us snow then this is definitely the best chance it will happen in my lifetime. 

Next time it shows up I'm 100% out though.

• H2O unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF locked this topic

Archived