Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
JAN 4th Coastal

H2O

2 minutes ago, Jebman said:

There are some folks in a certain part of the US that are literally flying around with joy right now.

if you are referencing the eastern folk....I'm happy for them.  Ever storm is not for everyone...we all know that.  its been fun to watch all the same and in truth is still further west than i think many would have thought 2 days ago.  Me included.

Nut

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I tend to think models overdo these cutoffs. Precip always gets a bit more north and west than progged. Nothing major for us but it will happen here, book it.

tell that to the folks 25 miles to the west of said cutoff. lol

been there....did that far too many times.

2 minutes ago, batmanbrad said:

Who was it that said "just get the low to Hatteras" a while back?  Well, at 036 hours, that's just about where it is...

It's more of originating near Hatteras. DT had a good video on it, but that low is certainly pretty West, that's for sure, at least compared to the past few runs.

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Can you hear it? Chomp munch glomp glomp....that's the sound of eating words

I'd just be thinking about how you like em served IF you need to eat em. Hasnt happened yet, but in truth, yeah it has surprised as to how far west it has come.  I didnt think it would go this far as well when looking at trough, 500's etc.  No matter, this IS why we do what we do here.  All good no matter the result.

6 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

if you are referencing the eastern folk....I'm happy for them.  Ever storm is not for everyone...we all know that.  its been fun to watch all the same and in truth is still further west than i think many would have thought 2 days ago.  Me included.

Nut

This storm is absolutely critical though. We only get the kind of Arctic air mass that's following it maybe once in 4-5 years. -25C 850's are special, I'm not gonna say I wouldn't be upset if we wasted all that upper level cold on worthless bare ground instead of maxxing it out with at least an inch of snowcover. I want -2F not 8F Saturday night, there's an entire world of difference. 

7 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Nut

I am too, i hope they get about 2 feet lol. Would be nice if Wes got crushed by about 14 inches of snow.

1 minute ago, pasnownut said:

I'd just be thinking about how you like em served IF you need to eat em. Hasnt happened yet, but in truth, yeah it has surprised as to how far west it has come.  I didnt think it would go this far as well when looking at trough, 500's etc.  No matter, this IS why we do what we do here.  All good no matter the result.

Gfs re-invited the double barrel tucked idea back on the table. My guess is it went a little nuts with convection but those were some tasty words that should keep me satisfied for another 6 hours.

Digital commas are as pretty as digital snow.

gfs_ir_us_8.png

The I-95 corridor is not where the most drastic change happened in one single run. It’s the eastern NC up through the Delmarva beaches area— the GFS *finally* looks like the other models that have been consistently showing a major snowstorm for those areas. We know the 12Z Euro went dry there too, but that could reverse in the subsequent runs back to what it was showing yesterday.

4 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

tell that to the folks 25 miles to the west of said cutoff. lol

been there....did that far too many times.

but....but......didn't Mr Chill and others declare a couple days back that this would be all-or-nothing affair? Fringe was not an option! So if it's not going to be nothing, then we have to get hammered.

And yeah, the latest RGEM and GFS are really gonna STING if verified, we on the western side have been getting the short end of the stick on every event so far this season.

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Gfs re-invited the double barrel tucked idea back on the table. My guess is it went a little nuts with convection but those were some tasty words that should keep me satisfied for another 6 hours.

Digital commas are as pretty as digital snow.

GFS says the western edge convection goes wild and puts the low there.  NAM says the eastern edge convection is where it's at.  

My takeaway from this whole deal is that just like we see nice storms go POOF in seemingly the nicest of setups, they also can trend back from less than ideal setups into something.  It really is the fascination I think many of us have with Meteorology, and the challenges associated (of course IMBY snow totals trump everything). 

I think it safe to say that so far the 2017-18 shows us all to well to not discount the unexpected.  Not good for the hairline I know.

• H2O unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF locked this topic

Archived