Newest Member
    SnowHabit
JAN 4th Coastal

H2O

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Subtropics said:

It doesn't snow here anymore. Back in the 2000s when I was in elementary school I remember we got no school all the time for 4'' snows... those days are done. When was the last time DCA recorded 3-5''? 

It's boom or (usually) bust. 

Not trying to be snarky-- were you in the area in the winters of 13/14, 14/15, 15/16? DCA had 5 such storms in those three winters, or 7 if you round up >2.5" to 3". And if you expand the upper range a bit to 7", it adds two more to the tally. 

3 minutes ago, gymengineer said:

Not trying to be snarky-- were you in the area in the winters of 13/14, 14/15, 15/16? DCA had 5 such storms in those three winters, or 7 if you round up >2.5" to 3". And if you expand the upper range a bit to 7", it adds two more to the tally. 

Yeah, we had our really snowy series of years. We're just making up for it next year. Maybe this lack of a -NAO will make up in the next Winter and we'll get a nor'easter on every other day. 

1 minute ago, gymengineer said:

Maybe my memory is failing me. Just seems like it's all or nothing lately... but sounds like I'm wrong here.

1 minute ago, Subtropics said:

Maybe my memory is failing me. Just seems like it's all or nothing lately... but sounds like I'm wrong here.

It's probably cause the last big storm we really had was the Presidents day storm in 2016. March 13-14 was basically a non-event for DC, but there was a LOT of ice, so I guess that counts. 14/15 was a great stretch, but that seems so long ago. We're overdue for a Moderate El Nino, hopefully with a -NAO/-AO

2 minutes ago, Subtropics said:

I think it seems that way because so far, this year nothing.

Last year, nothing.

Year prior, we had the blizzard, and that was it. So its been basically 3 years outside of the Blizzard. It is pretty ridiculous.

4 minutes ago, Subtropics said:

Pretty much has been lately. If this winter is a dud, can you imagine if the blizzard of 16 hadn't happened? Three straight dreadful winters. Of course, we had two really good ones before that, and a few years before that was the once in a billion years winter so.......

I like 3-5 inch events but that's just not what I'm interested in TRACKING, unless it's in a generally snowy winter. We don't do 6-10 that well around here which is why I'm still enamored of 13-14 and even 14-15. In the last several years, the most exhilarating tracking was January '16, even though it was obvious from a week out, followed by 13-14 for sheer number of events to track. <4 inch events just aren't my thing anymore, and brutal cold and dry is definitely not.  

4 minutes ago, WeathermanB said:

NAM i think is doing a excellent job on the precip totals for mid-atlantic, although i'm forecasting a wider precip field and heavier snow.

nam3km_asnow_neus_54.png

You really joining the RGEM's boat? I'll remember this post. You can forecast all you want, but if you have a bias of wanting more snow, it's not that reliable. I would know too. I'm in the same boat. I'm a high school student who wants snow. That is a major red flag imo. NAM looks East too

5 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

It's probably cause the last big storm we really had was the Presidents day storm in 2016. March 13-14 was basically a non-event for DC, but there was a LOT of ice, so I guess that counts. 14/15 was a great stretch, but that seems so long ago. We're overdue for a Moderate El Nino, hopefully with a -NAO/-AO

Was it presidents day?  I feel like it was January, on a Saturday.  Thats another thing... I always like that giddy feeling that school gets closed or work get sent home.  Nothing better than a buzz around the office before a snow event.  You don't have that on the weekend snows. (just a personal preference). 

Either way, that was two years ago, its been a while...  My youngest kid is a year and a half and hasn't been out to play in snow yet. 

Thought I'd post a really pretty map forecast map showing to jet streaks, one over Florida and one south and east of us.  The left front of a cyclonically curing jet streak is favorable for upper level divergence and lifting.  Now look at the northern of the two wind maxes.  It's anticyclonically curving and the upper level divergence with a anticyclinically jet is located along the right rear quadrant of the jet streak.   Essentially we have two jet streaks in an ideal location to help maximize upper level divergence and lifting.  Throw in a warm ocean and you've got an ideal environment for a rapidly deepening low.   Unfortunately,  the northern of the two jet streaks is farther south than you usually see for us getting a big storm.  Latent heat from all the convection offshore will try to push it north but its location may help explain why the models are having trouble getting the low to come north as quick as we'd like.  It also may help explain why the precipitation has a hard time getting to us.  We're on the wrong side of that jet streak.  Now that I've posted the image, the NAM probably has come in wet. 

jet streak_Jan_4.png

1 minute ago, evaporativecooler said:

No. I'm bored to tears right now at work and this is the only thing I can keep up on my PC that's both entertaining and related enough to what I do that I won't get dirty looks for slouching. 

Yeah, this banter threat is actually entertaining. If we aren't gonna get snow, at least we can have some fun, right?

4 minutes ago, usedtobe said:

Thought I'd post a really pretty map forecast map showing to jet streaks, one over Florida and one south and east of us.  The left front of a cyclonically curing jet streak is favorable for upper level divergence and lifting.  Now look at the northern of the two wind maxes.  It's anticyclonically curving and the upper level divergence with a anticyclinically jet is located along the right rear quadrant of the jet streak.   Essentially we have two jet streaks in an ideal location to help maximize upper level divergence and lifting.  Throw in a warm ocean and you've got an ideal environment for a rapidly deepening low.   Unfortunately,  the northern of the two jet streaks is farther south than you usually see for us getting a big storm.  Latent heat from all the convection offshore will try to push it north but its location may help explain why the models are having trouble getting the low to come north as quick as we'd like.  It also may help explain why the precipitation has a hard time getting to us.  We're on the wrong side of that jet streak.  Now that I've posted the image, the NAM probably has come in wet. 

Thanks Wes, great post.  We normally want that northern jet streak over SNE? 

8 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

You really joining the RGEM's boat? I'll remember this post. You can forecast all you want, but if you have a bias of wanting more snow, it's not that reliable. I would know too. I'm in the same boat. I'm a high school student who wants snow. That is a major red flag imo. NAM looks East too

Not joining the RGEM's boat. Are you gonna join the downcasting community? I wouldn't..

next...

• H2O unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF locked this topic

Archived