• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
JAN 4th Coastal

H2O

It seems to me that most of the time you can get a pretty good idea if the low pressure is going to come west by just following the heights along the coast, comparing the current and last runs. If there are height rises the low will usually come west or at least not go further east.  This can be picked up fairly early in the run. Probably common knowledge to most here.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Maestrobjwa said:

Would be kinda funny...if the GFS wins, this would be two in a row, wouldn't it? (wasn't it the first to sniff out last week's no-storm?)

Cmc was still a solid delmarva hit and similar qpf as the euro. Gfs refuses to push the western edge. If the delmarva gets a good hit then the gfs failed bigly. My guess is the euro mostly holds and any shift west or east will be mild. 

I know the air is really dry, but I don’t understand why the western side of the low has no precip shield?  And why are the precip gradients so sharp?  When a powerful low like this tracks closer to the coast, it snows alll the way over in WV and Ohio sometimes. Is that just because the mountains? I need help understanding why the precip shield is so small. 

9 minutes ago, NovaTarHeel said:

I know the air is really dry, but I don’t understand why the western side of the low has no precip shield?  And why are the precip gradients so sharp?  When a powerful low like this tracks closer to the coast, it snows alll the way over in WV and Ohio sometimes. Is that just because the mountains? I need help understanding why the precip shield is so small. 

A handful of reasons but one is no upper level support on the west side. Storm is getting kicked instead of phased. Part of the reason the low is well east of the coast. A partial phase helps moisture transport westward. The storms your thinking of are very different. They have hp parked over top with midlevel winds out of the NE or east. Ocean moisture is transported well inland among other things like upper level dynamics and good jet placement.

Another is dry midlevel air coming from the northwest. Look at this panel. 850 winds are out of the Nw or west. And the air is very dry too. 

Lastly, the storm is further east than we like to see. We usually want them right off obx and not 150-200 miles. Proximity is working against us as well. If the storm took a classic up the coast to the benchmark we would get hit solid. 

gfs_mslp_pwata_us_10.png

30 minutes ago, yoda said:

Looks like 00z UKIE has around 0.1 QPF still at DCA

Good call. Ukie qpf is similar to 18z GGEM.  (00z GGEM is not out yet on meteocentre, but I think it's also about the same.)  If anything, the Ukie is slightly better. 

lNuzLnA.png

8 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Trimmed the delmarva a good bit. The large area of .4 is now .2. Beaches still get it pretty good. SBY would get close to 6" with good ratios. SoMD jack for west of the bay. Point lookout gets .2

Can't say I'm surprised or let down. 12z today likely marked the best case scenario.

Yup.  Things pulled east.  Perhaps 3-5" at the beaches.  Basically nothing along I-95 until you get to NYC---maybe an inch or so.    SNE does a little better, but not much---looks like 2-5 " from NW to SE across that area.  Eastern Maine and Nova Scotia are the winners on this Euro run. :(

MDstorm

21 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Actually seeing the capture of the low by a shortwave and developing closed 500 mb low early in the process. Seeing this occur at 39-42 hours off of the N Florida coast. 

Agreed. While it's still may be a Longshot, it's still Bears watching. The storm develops very close to the Southeast Florida coast. So a little tick West at 6 Z. Quite the vigorous looking storm on the model. Still Bears watching in my opinion.

Just now, losetoa6 said:

Yep...and it's not long range.  Both nams lookin better early as 30 hours . Hey...This storm hasn't formed yet so it will be fun to see this thru the home stretch 

Looking over last nights runs and this morning I don't think it is as dire as some may think. At least if their expectations are in check on how much snow DC/BALT may receive (1-2 inches). Early evolution of the storm off of Florida and it's initial track up to OBX have steadily improved. The phasing in the south and the look at 500's has improved. The ground truth may not be reflecting it (snow maps) but we have for the most part seen improvements over the last few runs at 500's. Would still like to see the globals forming a closed low at 500's early in the process though. May all come down to what we see with the trailing NS energy (kicker). Get a deep drop farther to the west then shown now and we probably get our snow.

2 minutes ago, PennQuakerGirl said:

So the margin is pretty razor thin, huh? 

Short of seeing the models try to kick out a double barreled/elongated low again around OBX the precip will have a sharp cutoff. So it will be razor thin from the haves and have nots. So every little bit helps to adjust that track/precip westward. From what I have seen from the recent runs I actually somewhat expect that we will see another shift west on the 12Z runs. Now whether it is enough to get DC/Balt in play I guess we will see.

***(And actually the 06Z RGEM does have an elongated low and looks as if it may be considering trying to redevelop a secondary right off of OBX. Doesn't get it done here but that may be something to watch for in later runs as that would be a game changer)***

11 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I personally am excited ...snow/ no snow to track this system the next couple days because simply put.. it's super rare to get a winter season  low of this  strength at our latitude ...sub 970 . 93' is the last I believe . 960 mb over Salisbury . Look out on the backside..winds and cold will be epic 

The infrared satellite pictures will probably be one for the text books. It’s a shame though that it won’t likely go down as the Cobalt 2018 storm locally. Maybe we still get scraped though.

23 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I personally am excited ...snow/ no snow to track this system the next couple days because simply put.. it's super rare to get a winter season  low of this  strength at our latitude ...sub 970 . 93' is the last I believe . 960 mb over Salisbury . Look out on the backside..winds and cold will be epic 

I geezed last night and fell asleep at 9. Looks Like I picked the right night to do it. Lol

Anyway,  by way of comparison,  1/25/00 was a 980 off the NJ coast. It'll be a shame if we get a total whiff like the Gfs is still showing.  I think that the gfs is a better model than often given credit, so a total whiff remains on the table in my mind.

The low off Florida is just now getting going. See Unysis sutface maps. Tonight's 0z run will have everything the models need to know wrt Florida low and northern stream. So although 12z may see final directional moves (east or west), 0z will be the run to live or die by imho.

You can see the players on the field on this water vapor loop: 1) Northern stream moving south out of Canada entering the Dakotas; 2) Southern stream around Kansas; 3) Clouds gathering over Florida with the surface low.

http://weather.unisys.com/satellite/sat_wv.php?inv=0&t=l3&region=us

Moisture convergence map proves models correct with progged storm development off SE coast of Florida. 

http://weather.unisys.com/surface/sfc_con.php?image=qc&inv=0&t=cur&expanddiv=hide_bar

9 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

This storm is very trackable still imo.

Yeah, might as well keep tracking as RGEM, and NAM to some degree, giving false hope. I'll watch a few more runs to see what happens. Knew when I woke up and saw only 54 posts since I went to bed that it probably wasn't good news.

• H2O unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF locked this topic

Archived