• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

This was discussed earlier, but was there some sort of meteorological phenomenon last night that caused an atomic thunder clap?  So many people in my office from the West Seneca to Lockport we’re talking about getting woken up by the huge boom. Maybe some frictional convergence off the frozen lake causing extreme cloud charge???

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

This was discussed earlier, but was there some sort of meteorological phenomenon last night that caused an atomic thunder clap?  So many people in my office from the West Seneca to Lockport we’re talking about getting woken up by the huge boom. Maybe some frictional convergence off the frozen lake causing extreme cloud charge???

IMG_5624.PNG

IMG_5625.PNG

IMG_5626.PNG

Thats an interesting write-up and one I had not heard before.  I've also wondered if elevated convection has stronger cloud to ground lightning strikes as a higher cloud base might require more charge before it can "jump the gap" to ground.  Much like positive lightning strikes from the top of thunder clouds are more powerful than normal strikes.  Perhaps this combined with the mentioned refractive enhancement created the "atomic booms" heard in your area the other day.  

23 hours ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

IMG_5624.PNG

IMG_5625.PNG

IMG_5626.PNG

As BuffaloWeather has previously discussed, the February 2nd system is our next real chance at a decent snow event and with it now being 1 week away it is starting to have that look and path that our storm a few weeks ago had. The front pushes through WNY and the LP rides up giving most of WNY and CNY another decent event. 6z shows this perfectly. 

6 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

12Z even further west. Has a high end winter storm warning for our entire area. 

Canadian a complete miss for all but eastern NY (but still shows a good storm).  Long way to go on this one.  That said, I'm out of town for work next Thu and Fri, so BUF should just go ahead and hoist WS Warnings right now for 8-16" region-wide.  

43 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Euro definitely isn’t the Gfs lol pretty much a strung out mess, maybe couple inches down in the Mid Atlantic ..It does have few inches or so on Monday/Tuesday, maybe 3”-5” kroc-kbuf, idk hard to predict ivt..

Yeah, GFS is a big dog for all, Canadian hit for eastern areas, and Euro looks like non-event everywhere.  Will be interesting to see which way this trends next couple days.  

Archived