Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Off topic but if you guys had to pick a vacation to go to in March early/mid march would you choose St Lucia, Hawaii, or Iceland? 

Went to Hawaii about 10 years ago for a family wedding. We were on Maui but went all over the island. One of the best, most relaxing vacations I have ever had. I’d go back in a heartbeat, and March seems like an especially good time to go.

I saw some seriously cool stuff flying up the length of Lake Erie this afternoon.  Flying home from Chicago, we passed over Lake St. Clair and continued east to Lake Erie.  From there, my friendly Southwest pilot turned northeast up the middle of the lake.  As expected, the lake was frozen as far as the eye could see. But unlike other years I've flown over the lake when it's frozen, the ice appeared to be very thin.  Almost like black ice you see on a pond and know not to set foot on it.  

Here's where it gets really interesting...a huge open patch of water appeared on the north side of Long Point.  We flew over this for I'm guessing about a minute, when some sort of incredible cliff/waterfall/CGI scene appeared on the horizon.  At first, I thought it was the northeast end of the lake covered in lake effect clouds and snow.  But I quickly realized it was the abrupt end of the open water meeting the ice pack.  What was a very weak band of lake effect clouds really blew up at this water/ice interface.  The incredible view I think was caused by the shadow of the clouds hitting the ice. 

Some pictures to follow, although the don't really do the view justice.  First one is approach to the "wall".  

From a meteorological perspective, there seemed to be some interesting activity right at that water/ice transition zone.  

Erie Jan 18 3.JPG

Nice pics dude!

Go figure today was a bust.  They missed the call yesterday and then sure enough they go out on a limb and call for a repeat today which yeah it flared up... but did anyone see more than an inch from today's event?  Lame sauce... oh well gotta say at least it feels like a good old fashion winter this year.  Seems like it has snowed almost everyday the past few weeks even if it was only a dusting.  The January thaw and then right back at it... Might not be a massive snow year but we're still abover average so far so guess we really can't complain that much...

15 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

I did St Lucia for my wedding two years ago.  It was pretty awesome.  We did the sandals Grande St lucian which I thought was very nice and is of course all inclusive.  That said, other people have told me about better options on the island but overall i was very happy with our stay.

Hawaii is great but expensive af and can be very touristy and hard to get around.  

Iceland is on my bucketlist for sure but seems like the last place you'll want to go after a long cold winter.  You love the heat.  If I ever do iceland it will be during the next solar maximum when the Auroras will be almost a guarantee.  

This is great advice, thanks for this. I only have 7 days off so Hawaii is off the table, the flight and price are just too much for such a short time period. So it's between Iceland and St. Lucia. Both are pretty comparable in price. I am going to Miami in April so I wouldn't mind traveling to a cold destination. I am worried about going and not seeing the northern lights. However, I'm told Iceland is so beautiful in the winter but unable to travel to certain parts due to the ice and snow. I've had friends that went in March and in Summer and both loved it. I've been to a bunch of places in the Caribbean so far and have loved them all. 

15 hours ago, rochesterdave said:

I did Maui two years ago and loved it. The 4-5 star resorts aren’t bad (relatively). 250-350 night. The water is amazing. It’s as beautiful as everyone says and the wx is incredible (on resort side- it rains constantly at airport). 

Only downside is the flight. 2 layovers and 15 hrs...

Yeah since I only have 7 days it will be tough to make Hawaii worth it. 

13 hours ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Nice pics dude!

Go figure today was a bust.  They missed the call yesterday and then sure enough they go out on a limb and call for a repeat today which yeah it flared up... but did anyone see more than an inch from today's event?  Lame sauce... oh well gotta say at least it feels like a good old fashion winter this year.  Seems like it has snowed almost everyday the past few weeks even if it was only a dusting.  The January thaw and then right back at it... Might not be a massive snow year but we're still abover average so far so guess we really can't complain that much...

Every index goes the bad way the next few weeks. But climate says we are at peak mid winter the next few weeks. Should be a battle ground somewhere across the GL. 

15 hours ago, WNash said:

Went to Hawaii about 10 years ago for a family wedding. We were on Maui but went all over the island. One of the best, most relaxing vacations I have ever had. I’d go back in a heartbeat, and March seems like an especially good time to go.

How long did you go for? It seems you lose 1 day each way with travel alone. 

My wife and I went to Hawaii in 1990 for our honeymoon. Spent 10 days, which I think should probably be the minimum considering the time required to get there (unless you are particularly fond of actual travel time). We split our time between the big island and Maui. Would love to go back someday but I don't travel well. One regret we had was not visiting Kauai, that would probably be our first stop if we do go back. Haven't been to either of the other options but everyone I know who has been to Iceland has raved about it.

19 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

How long did you go for? It seems you lose 1 day each way with travel alone. 

We were gone for 8 days. Leaving early in the morning, we got to Hawaii later that same day, in the late afternoon. Then we left seven days later in the evening (around 8 or so) and got back late afternoon the next day.

Flying west, I didn't have much jet lag - we checked in and got some dinner and walked on the beach in the evening. Flying east, I was pretty tired after I came home, but we left late enough on the day of departure to be able to spend much of the day in the water and sun. That left five totally open days (as well as the evening of day one and most of the last day) to explore and take it easy. One of those days was the wedding and dinner, but we got a lot done in the week - besides sun and water: Haleakala sunrise, the road to Hana, the Maui Ocean Center, Lahaina, reef snorkling. Totally worth it, and I would do it again.

I only went to Hawaii for 7 Days. I did a ‘shut eye’ flight on the way home as I can sleep on a plane. I was still tired but it was worth it. 

I doubt I’ll ever go back- due to the distance. If I do, I’ll try and do a one night layover in San Franscisco or Seattle. 

This weather must be lame if we are talking about trips. 

1 hour ago, rochesterdave said:

I only went to Hawaii for 7 Days. I did a ‘shut eye’ flight on the way home as I can sleep on a plane. I was still tired but it was worth it. 

I doubt I’ll ever go back- due to the distance. If I do, I’ll try and do a one night layover in San Franscisco or Seattle. 

This weather must be lame if we are talking about trips. 

As lame as it gets for climo coldest part of winter. Next two weeks at least look very yawn worthy... this forum will see quite a break until early/mid February likley.

Anyone catch the front page of the Buffalo News today?  Have to say I had quite the optimistic laugh...

So a group at UB is claiming to have figured a method measuring fossilized leaf wax to determine how much lake effect snow fell 10,000 years ago.  They also claim they can see the difference between lake effect and synoptic snow in the thousand year old wax.  Not trying to discredit science but I think these folks are in way over their heads.... Thoughts?  

12 hours ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Anyone catch the front page of the Buffalo News today?  Have to say I had quite the optimistic laugh...

So a group at UB is claiming to have figured a method measuring fossilized leaf wax to determine how much lake effect snow fell 10,000 years ago.  They also claim they can see the difference between lake effect and synoptic snow in the thousand year old wax.  Not trying to discredit science but I think these folks are in way over their heads.... Thoughts?  

You’re being irrationally cynical. What if I told you that the UB group didn’t “figure out” the method of analyzing hydrogen isotopes from leaf wax, but are instead using a methodology that has been developed and refined by geochemists over the last twenty years? And what if I told you that the same method is actually used by petroleum geochemists in the extraction industry (http://www.academia.edu/35439672/Carbon_and_hydrogen_isotopic_compositions_of_n-alkanes_as_a_tool_in_petroleum_exploration)?

It’s vitally important to be skeptical in science, because new scientific claims must be tested empirically. The default assumption for a new claim should be that it is something to disprove. But that skepticism is a scientific skepticism. Sneering at scientific research because it sounds outlandish to non-scientists or because it has the potential to threaten dearly-held assumptions is the opposite of science.

13 hours ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Let’s see if they pick up on the November Mauling in 5873 BC. 125 inches in 24 hours at KBUF. 

Seriously though, very interesting research. 

Well, thats a wrap....it was an eventful half winter.  Interesting and intense, but short.  Did a final snowshoe today before we melt it down.

Final seasonal snowfall here probably will be under 100".  Might creep to near normal, ~ 125" but pattern is dead until mid/late Feb at best.  And by then, barring another big March snowstorm, will anyone really care?

Should prob create another thread...Spring has Sprung!

I’ll take my chances with “average” temps and slight chance of Above average precipitation, especially with February being Fulton’s snowiest month..Taking a quick gander at the CFS on wb (individual months) feb is slightly below average (2 m temps) and March being slightly above..

CPC

36C83F48-0C01-413C-B1DD-CAF7EA89650C.jpeg

849CCA18-7D20-4B94-A2F7-590391F5B16F.jpeg

Archived