joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

Looks like the frontal boundary coming is adding a little lift and picking up a bit more moisture from the lake. Snow rates have increased here. 

WUNIDS_map?station=BUF&brand=wui&num=10&

Yes snow pounding pretty good in WS again... will we make 7” which is warning criteria when last night the forecast was for flurries ending by midnight? 

4 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

Yes snow pounding pretty good in WS again... will we make 7” which is warning criteria when last night the forecast was for flurries ending by midnight? 

I remember a quote from an old coworker years back who used to say all the time " I've cleared 7" of clear to partly cloudy off my driveway many times"...so true!!!

8 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Northern portion of the band is strengthening. At least 1" per hour near airport. Still snowing good here too.

Snow stopped up at North Campus, and the sun is out. But nice surprise, a few inches here, and when I left for work this morning, about 4.5" since yesterday afternoon in NE Buffalo, with snow still coming down.

Just now, WNash said:

Snow stopped up at North Campus, and the sun is out. But nice surprise, a few inches here, and when I left for work this morning, about 4.5" since yesterday afternoon in NE Buffalo, with snow still coming down.

Just south of you has the highest rates north of the city so far for the event. Probably at Cleveland drive out across airport. 

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

Just south of you has the highest rates north of the city so far for the event. Probably at Cleveland drive out across airport. 

Yeah, I'm looking at my security camera and it's coming down pretty good at home. We're a few blocks north of Kensington, so not far from the best stuff.

21 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

Officially 6.3” at KBUF as of 5pm. Finished with 7.1” here. Awesome surprise event.

Hopefully this weekend warming over performs because next week has another SW event potential.

Expect to see a few
scattered showers develop in the vicinity of the warm front across
the region on Sunday into Sunday night along with ample cloud cover,
although it will not likely be a washout with plenty of dry time.
South of Lake Ontario, this would mainly be rain, with a mix of
either rain, freezing rain or snow for eastern Lake Ontario. An
approaching cold front Monday night, tied to the ejecting trough
moving from the central plains to the eastern Great Lakes, will
usher in widespread, soaking rain showers. There will be ample
moisture to work with as the trough taps into a rich subtropical
moisture source from the Gulf of Mexico. Cooler air will rush back
into the region with blustery southwest to west winds behind the
cold front passage, bringing a return to more seasonable
temperatures for mid-week along the potential for more lake effect
snows.

How is no one on her talking about this? The NWS just issued a special weather statement for 1/2" to 1" an our snowfall rates for all of Erie and Genesee counties through this afternoon. We are looking at decent snowfall not all being forecast. This is crazy to think that if we duplicated yesterday's totals we'd see a foot of unforecasted snowfall.

23 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

How is no one on her talking about this? The NWS just issued a special weather statement for 1/2" to 1" an our snowfall rates for all of Erie and Genesee counties through this afternoon. We are looking at decent snowfall not all being forecast. This is crazy to think that if we duplicated yesterday's totals we'd see a foot of unforecasted snowfall.

I’ll take credit for this...I leave town for work in winter, it snows. Told my wife when I left Monday it would be clear all week, certainly NO chance she would have to shovel. Just got a nasty text that she’s shoveled 3 times already and I don’t know jack sh$&t about the weather. 

28 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

you need 12+ potential to get anyone excited around here it seems. The potential for large storms from LE makes people a little spoiled I think lol.

KBUF as expected... ^_^

As expected...increasing low level moisture has once again allowed
areas of low-topped lake effect snow to redevelop rather nicely
east/northeast of both lakes this morning...as sufficiently
cold air and a deep enough snow growth region both remain intact
beneath a capping inversion running only around 3-4 kft.

Based on past/current radar trends and surface observations...we
will likely see light to moderate snow continue downwind of the
lakes through the majority of today...with the activity off Lake
Erie then tending to weaken late today/early this evening as low
level warming helps to gradually erode away the supporting snow
growth layer. With this in mind...have hoisted another Winter
Weather Advisory for the Lake Erie lake snows...which will be
likely to produce 3-5 inches across northern Erie and far western
Genesee counties before winding down late this afternoon/early this
evening. Meanwhile east of Lake Ontario total daytime accumulations
of 4-6 inches still look to be a good bet...thereby warranting
continued Winter Weather Advisories there as well.

31 minutes ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

I’ll take credit for this...I leave town for work in winter, it snows. Told my wife when I left Monday it would be clear all week, certainly NO chance she would have to shovel. Just got a nasty text that she’s shoveled 3 times already and I don’t know jack sh$&t about the weather. 

You need to leave more often. :lol:

23 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Off topic but if you guys had to pick a vacation to go to in March early/mid march would you choose St Lucia, Hawaii, or Iceland? 

I did St Lucia for my wedding two years ago.  It was pretty awesome.  We did the sandals Grande St lucian which I thought was very nice and is of course all inclusive.  That said, other people have told me about better options on the island but overall i was very happy with our stay.

Hawaii is great but expensive af and can be very touristy and hard to get around.  

Iceland is on my bucketlist for sure but seems like the last place you'll want to go after a long cold winter.  You love the heat.  If I ever do iceland it will be during the next solar maximum when the Auroras will be almost a guarantee.  

Archived