Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From a met on another board..It’s a kicker not a phaser hence the right turn..

Correct. The only question I have at this time is whether the kicker is accurately depicted. It's coming down from an area near the pole which isn't the best sampled area. If its slower/weaker, there is more time for the storm to thrive. If faster/stronger the models say it will kick our system east and game over.

Looks good to me Tim, as I still think its coming a lot further West than what the globals are showing and I'll remain steadfast with my thoughts from days ago.  I just can't see the SLP riding the CF then all of a sudden jump the system to the PF which makes absolutely no sense at all.  Lots of convective feedback going on as well as there are 3 streams phasing up over the Northeast so it should be an exciting system to track anyway.  I will be posting lots of Images for posterity like satellite, radars and many many more. Even if we're not affected directly we'll still feel the effects from the upper Level Low over the area with a resurgence of some of the coldest air since the 80's!

Just now, CNY-WXFREAK said:

Looks good to me Tim, as I still think its coming a lot further West than what the globals are showing and I'll remain steadfast with my thoughts from days ago.  I just can't see the SLP riding the CF then all of a sudden jump the system to the PF which makes absolutely no sense at all.  Lots of convective feedback going on as well as there are 3 streams phasing up over the Northeast so it should be an exciting system to track anyway.  I will be posting lots of Images for posterity like satellite, radars and many many more. Even if we're not affected directly we'll still feel the effects from the upper Level Low over the area with a resurgence of some of the coldest air since the 80's!

You know to your point CNY there have been plenty of these EC storms that are shown way out in time for a few runs then everything shifts far to the east only to have the storm back where the original track was. To me the big piece of this is the NLP...if it catches up to 5he SLP they would in effect phase and draw the storm westward...i'm with you on this one.

7 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

Reanalysis of the 1/25/2000

Don't think its that close to the upper level features but its similar in many ways and obviously its not gonna be exactly the same as no two are alike!

Big diff is 1/25/00 was neg tilt already in the SE...I haven't seen any credible NWP showing that for this thing.  Maybe that changes but positive tilt trough axes don't bode well for coast huggers.

20 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Big diff is 1/25/00 was neg tilt already in the SE...I haven't seen any credible NWP showing that for this thing.  Maybe that changes but positive tilt trough axes don't bode well for coast huggers.

I don't see a positively tilted trough but that's just me, and you may be right but I guess we'll see. This thing has been doing nothing but trending West as its easily noticeable from the heights across the NE the past few runs. 540 thickness went from MD to BGM so much so that mixing has been introduced along the coastal areas, before heights collapse. That's a big difference and its still trending. Its Monday Night and the event doesn't begin till late Thursday. I've seen storms come out of nowhere in that period of time, lol.

A lot is riding on the Northern stream energy, and imo, its not being sampled properly as its still in an area in Northern reaches of Canada where data is sparse at best. Once the ensambles stop trending west, as well as the operationals, then I'll most likely throw in the towel but not till then as there is a boatload of time left for this one yet but we'll know for sure in about 2.5 days though :lol:.

3" in the last hr 1.25 hrs. Not bad as it's still S+ but vis has come up just a bit. Satellite looks good but I have no radar to back it up and I won't even try to look at WSYR as I get more and more disgusted when I look at their radar knowing what it was like just a few short years ago and what its like now!

13 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

I don't see a positively tilted trough but that's just me, and you may be right but I guess we'll see. This thing has been doing nothing but trending West as its easily noticeable from the heights across the NE the past few runs. 540 thickness went from MD to BGM so much so that mixing has been introduced along the coastal areas, before heights collapse. That's a big difference and its still trending. Its Monday Night and the event doesn't begin till late Thursday. I've seen storms come out of nowhere in that period of time, lol.

A lot is riding on the Northern stream energy, and imo, its not being sampled properly as its still in an area in Northern reaches of Canada where data is sparse at best. Once the ensambles stop trending west, as well as the operationals, then I'll most likely throw in the towel but not till then as there is a boatload of time left for this one yet but we'll know for sure in about 2.5 days though :lol:.

It's positive tilt heading into the east coast...that's what I'm referring to. Of course offshore it's not as phasing happens.

Once again, I'm not expecting a direct hit to our immediate area but areas much further S&E of us should pay close attention such as the Poconos and the Catskills including the Capitol district as things can, and probably will change, either for the better or for the worse and in this case, worse being further OTS and better further West. As soon as that energy currently up in Canada gets better sampled, in the coming days, things can change but I doubt it'll be as drastic as some may be thinking.

I do know one thing, if this happens to do what I think it has the potential to do, then I'll be on the road headed for my crib in Staten Island that's for damn sure, as its been a long while since I've seen a true Nor'easter with temps in the upper teens to low 20's the closer one gets to the coast. There's a long way to go though before there's a definite answer to this forecast, that's for sure.

I was down in nyc/nj for every event in the 09-11 time frame lol I was also 50 miles north of Sandy’s landfall in southern jersey followed by a foot snowstorm a week later in early November!!! I was down there for 93, 96, every PD storm And most other notable nor Easter’s in the past 20 years, only thing I miss from down there, really lol

Well that was nice while it lasted. a quick 4" fell in just over 2 hrs, so not bad as my point and click said 2-4" for tonight so all in all a good forecast for the area but I don't see amounts getting over 8" up in Oswego but I guess things can refire up there closer to the coast.

Still looking good SE of Lake Ontario on backside of this weeks storm. Should be a solid several inches it appears. 0z GFS and GEM refuse to come in closer with slp but that's a problem for NE forum not up here. Next Friday and Sat will be super cold again with more crystal meth snow I suspect.

Archived