Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 4th Coastal

showmethesnow

7 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

dont think we like the UK, looks pretty far out to sea at 72 but tough to tell on these maps.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ukmo2.php?nh=1&ech=60&carte=1021

Its about 100 miles or east of the CMC and east of its run last night.  It has been jumping around a bunch though.  The CMC scary as it is has probably been the most consistent

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I am loving this because I am off this week and was planning on heading out to Canaan to play in the snow. This is exactly the same situation as Jan last year, when I was planning the same trip and changed my plans and went to Rehoboth instead. Maybe Deja vu!

Gfs gives me an inch -the cmc 20 inches. 

1 minute ago, ers-wxman1 said:

That would yield a weaker storm without the NS feeding in. But if it’s our only shot I’m on board ;-). 

Yea I don't care if the storm is 950 or 980 I just want snow. I think the initial vort that phases in over the southeast with the stj wave (showme labeled it B ) is initially a northern stream vort but it becomes disconnected from the flow somewhat.  It's then phasing with the next northern stream system diving down but that's happening right on top of us and kicking it OTS. The snowy runs a few days ago were diving that in to our west. I'm not sure that's really an option anymore. Now we might be better off if that trended north just enough to allow this to come up more before any phase or push east happens. Don't really see that either just speculating. It's so darn close on the 3k nam and ggem now though. 

(Ugh don't do it don't do it, stay strong) 

3 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Its about 100 miles or east of the CMC and east of its run last night.  It has been jumping around a bunch though.  The CMC scary as it is has probably been the most consistent

Does persistence and model accuracy have anything in common with the CMC at this range. Would love to think so, but I am not familiar with its scores in terms of verification. As a weenie I would love to se it come true. I also feel the SSTs will play a role in a more Westard track but I agree, and I am torn as well,  with a sling shoot way East once the storm gets to a lattitide of OC. MD   

1 minute ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I can tell you this much.  It was the only model that never waivered on the SE snow event back on 12/8 from 4 days out.

Wow,  thats amazing !! Sometimes a certain model can latch on and fine the needle in the weather haystack :-)  must be a physics thing    

2 minutes ago, Wonderdog said:

Are the GEFS still useful at this range?

Yes, it will give you some idea if there is a lot of short range spread. Gefs likes to move like a pack at shorter ranges and I'm not a fan of that but if the 12z run shows a decent amount of spread then it keeps you guessing. 

13 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I think the GFS has been most consistent.  The CMC and Euro had been trending west.  My guess is that we get something in between what the CMC and GFS are showing, which would be similar to what the Euro is showing.

2 minutes ago, Wonderdog said:

Are the GEFS still useful at this range?

Yes.  They've been out-verifying the op up to within about 48 hours from the event.  Their output lacks the op's resolution, but we're not at the point yet where that's much of a concern.

I feel the OTS storms are the worst ones to swallow in this area. It takes so much to get everything just right here. Clippers missing north—meh. Rain/snow-meh—comes with the territory. 

But when you have the arctic cold which is a flat rarity—(we could be in the old 39 high/25 night temps.) and you have a monster just off the coast—which in and of itself is hard to get (double b Lows).  It’s just a very tough thing to watch for snow lovers. 

Just now, Wonderdog said:

Is the GFS bias to being not far enough north and west true?

In general yes.  It very infrequently forecasts significant east coast storms well beyond 48-60 hours.  I would say 80% of the time it is too far south and east and we even see notably progressive models sometimes tracking inside the GFS

11 minutes ago, Ji said:

youve invested the least into this storm. Your a wise old man lol

It's never really looked good since the euro close off run. It's sucked me back in enough to be planning a trip to Cambridge thurs. 

If the 95 corridor backs in to an event I'll be shocked. Pleasantly shocked of course but shocked nonetheless.

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic

Archived