SnowHabit
Jan 4th Coastal

showmethesnow

• WxUSAF pinned this topic
  • Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, MD Mad Man said:

We all need a little hope. Q: Are all of the chess pieces in play? Nothing is still out in the Pacific?

8 minutes ago, BlueDXer75 said:

When will the vort’s be better sampled, by the 12z run or the 0z run today/tonight?

Southern piece is already in play(Canadian/Us border) and the initial NS is just entering the Pacific NW. The followup NS stream energy is still south of the Aleutians and that won't be hitting land until 24-36 hours from now. That, in my mind, will probably be the key piece. Even on land that thing will be flying so how that interacts with the initial NS energy and the southern energy probably won't be decided till even later as just a few hours difference on speed and location could have very meaningful impacts to the final solution.

1 minute ago, showmethesnow said:

Southern piece is already in play(Canadian/Us border) and the initial NS is just entering the Pacific NW. The followup NS stream energy is still south of the Aleutians and that won't be hitting land until 24-36 hours from now. That, in my mind, will probably be the key piece. Even on land that thing will be flying so how that interacts with the initial NS energy and the southern energy probably won't be decided till even later as just a few hours difference on speed and location could have very meaningful impacts to the final solution.

Thanks for the explanation! Happy New Year 

8 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

New Srefs literally just out mow brings the .25" line over I95 and has the .5 line only about 30? miles east of that. There's your early model hope!

sref_namer_087_precip_p24 (1).gif

I’m glad we went ahead and made a thread. This should be a fun storm to track with all the moving parts etc even if we don’t get anything. 

5 minutes ago, mappy said:

I love y’all, but when you’re hanging your hopes on srefs, you may wanna have limited hopes. 

Euro and Canadian get snow to the western shore of the bay as well! 

Its early on but nam looks slightly better at 500mb. Further west with the energy. NS spreading up. It’s encouraging to see the nam continue to improve at h5 from run to run. 

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

The SREFs screwed us on Boxing Day, too. They insisted we'd get .5 liquid right up until the end after the other models bailed. Just FYI.

You're right. It's a terrible tool for a forecast if taken literally. It can be used wih extreme caution to spot trends though. 

This storm is fun if you don't have a preconceived thought on the outcome. I'm not smart enough to know why or how these slight changes are happening...heck even IF changes are happening but I know this thing had a crazy back that ass up scenario, a ukie hug the coast Bomb a congrats Africa run and what sure seems like a watch your back rehobeth vibe. I'm not expecting anything back here but that doesn't mean this hasn't been interesting as long as you can let go of the it's not happening you guys are silly mindset. My thoughts....Happy New Year folks...back to work tomorrow :(

1 minute ago, showmethesnow said:

Not sure I like where the NS is depicted. We are seeing it in front of the SS energy now at 36 hr. We really need to see it drop down behind the southern piece to get a good phase which is hard to do from where it is now. Maybe it will adjust at later panels.. 

Yeah, I thought the same at 39. NS is stightly NW of last run and not a good location right now.  Might change in future panels.  

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic

Archived