Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Discobs Thread

George BM

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, jonjon said:

While the extreme low during the period was a modest -13 F by Valley standards, a new high quality research station in the Canaan Valley Wildlife Refuge located in a frost hollow, recorded two separate mornings of -25 F and -24 F on 1/3 and 1/7/18 respectively.

Great post. Do you know if that new station is online anywhere?

23 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

AA County on a 2 hour delay for um, I have no idea why.  Fog?

If it is anything up there like here, it is the ice on the ground and impossible to drive. I just called in for late (if I can get out later) for only the 2nd time in 30 years for weather. I have 35.0/33.1 as a temp, but there is a SOLID 1/4 inch of ice on the ground/roads. Neighbor and I put 100lbs of ice melt on our shared driveway only to get to the state road which was just as bad. The vehicle and deck are just wet, anything touching the ground frozen solid. Excellent write up Jon, thanks. Awesome pic, thanks for sharing NPZ and my record books look like yours WVclimo, full of 2014 and 2018 for first 8 days, mine go back to 1979.

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

AA County on a 2 hour delay for um, I have no idea why.  Fog?

I did slip a tire on the way in to work; but not until I was in PGCo.

AACo roads were crunching with new salt. PG not so much.

Did have fog most of the way too, but not school-closing fog.

Temp was 29 but still falling when I left

Pretty dense fog at home, and the car was fairly iced up and the driveway was the slightest bit slippery, but I drove in today and aside from traffic on 395 at 6:05 am, it was perfectly fine. Very thick fog in the city though.

Fairfax County secondary roads has a nice crust of new salt on them. At this rate, you'll probably be able to float on the surface of the Chesapeake a day or two after the next rain washes all the salt away.

I don't mean to sound like @mattie g but I literally have no idea why Calvert County schools closed. We never got below freezing and its been nothing but rain the entire time. I'm looking at the puddles out front. It works out good for us though since my oldest is sick anyway. I generally agree with most school closings (even when others don't) but this one has even me scratching my head.

1 hour ago, mappy said:

whelp, the below 32 streak ended last night for 30 minutes. at 1045 i hit 32 for the first time since Christmas morning, then promptly went below 32 again at 1115. 

duration: 14 days 15 hours ~45 minutes 

Really exceptional run of below freezing temperatures, for sure. I topped out at 31.1°F last night at the 11 o’clock hour. Just went above freezing here at 9 o’clock and I am sitting at 33°F. I’ll calculate my hours when I get into work later. A Really exceptional run of below freezing temperatures, for sure.

5 minutes ago, das said:

Really exceptional run of below freezing temperatures, for sure. I topped out at 31.1°F last night at the 11 o’clock hour. Just went above freezing here at 9 o’clock and I am sitting at 33°F. I’ll calculate my hours when I get into work later. A Really exceptional run of below freezing temperatures, for sure.

I'm a little annoyed it ended due to 30 minutes of 32.2° temp last night :lol:

32 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

I don't mean to sound like @mattie g but I literally have no idea why Calvert County schools closed. We never got below freezing and its been nothing but rain the entire time. I'm looking at the puddles out front. It works out good for us though since my oldest is sick anyway. I generally agree with most school closings (even when others don't) but this one has even me scratching my head.

You make it seem as if sounding like me is a bad thing!

3 hours ago, wxdude64 said:

If it is anything up there like here, it is the ice on the ground and impossible to drive. I just called in for late (if I can get out later) for only the 2nd time in 30 years for weather. I have 35.0/33.1 as a temp, but there is a SOLID 1/4 inch of ice on the ground/roads. Neighbor and I put 100lbs of ice melt on our shared driveway only to get to the state road which was just as bad. The vehicle and deck are just wet, anything touching the ground frozen solid. Excellent write up Jon, thanks. Awesome pic, thanks for sharing NPZ and my record books look like yours WVclimo, full of 2014 and 2018 for first 8 days, mine go back to 1979.

Was a little over two hours late getting to work, got here at 8:35. 

1 hour ago, das said:

Here in Clarksburg, we were below freezing for 14 days, 22 hours; from 10:30am Dec 25th to 8:30am Jan 9th.  An incredible 358 hours.  Here's the tally for the stretch:

25Dec H/L: 36.6°F/27.1°F; 26Dec: 28.2°F/15.1°F; 27Dec: 23.9°F/9.8°F; 28Dec: 18.7°F/9.5°F; 29Dec: 25.5°F/14.6°F; 30Dec: 29.8°F/11.1°F; 31Dec: 17.7°F/4.8°F; 01Jan: 19.1°F/4.7°F; 02Jan: 22.2°F/5.6°F; 03Jan: 29.1°F/15.1°F; 04Jan: 25.3°F/11.4°F; 05Jan: 14.1°F/4.1°F; 06Jan: 15.1°F/0.4°F; 07Jan: 21.2°F/12.7°F; 08Jan: 31.1°F/13.8°F; 09Jan: 3x.x°F/2x.x°F

2 hours ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

MY sidewalk and driveway were an ice rink this morning in northern Calvert and I got to 30.  Today a 2 hour delay would have sufficed as once the sun came out,  the ice melted quickly.

4 hours ago, North Balti Zen said:

My side street was a skating rink, and the sidewalks on my drive in down Charles were also. Not really much on the trees/foliage, all surface - reverse of what we usually see with ice around here thanks to the absurd cold ground...

In Canton this morning, the sidewalks were super dangerous to walk on and the cars iced up over night. The center of the streets seemed okay but saw at least one car who could not get out of a diagonal parking space due to ice. Also, when we tried to back a car out of the garage onto an alley, we could see the rear of the car almost sliding into the wall across the alley.

• H2O unpinned this topic
  • H2O pinned this topic

Archived