Dano62
January Discobs Thread

George BM

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

19 here currently.

Thought I would see 20 or so today, but maybe not.

I was just thinking how today wound up colder than forecast.  looks like 21 will be my high for the day...forecast was 24.  Too bad we couldnt get a nice slug of WAA moisture tomorrow.

6 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

I was just thinking how today wound up colder than forecast.  looks like 21 will be my high for the day...forecast was 24.  Too bad we couldnt get a nice slug of WAA moisture tomorrow.

Yeah the cold is going to be pretty stubborn to exit. A few days ago the forecast high for tomorrow here was 42...now its 35. It is too bad tomorrow looks like really weak sauce. Could have been a tad more interesting. Not to downplay the impact of a light coating of freezing rain/drizzle on super cold ground near rush hour..

2 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

-2 for the low ( 2nd low below 0 this season)

High of 19 . 

Drove to Atlanta, Ga Friday using i81 . The only real snow cover was in my own yard besides a couple dusting patches in the East Tennessee and NC mountains the whole drive . Pretty unusual.  Forgot how Beautiful that drive was . Been 20 years since I've gone the rout . 

Story of the winter so far for us I-81'ers

image.thumb.jpeg.dd02a713ad5b810b5355b287d53fa52e.jpeg

7 minutes ago, WVclimo said:

Story of the winter so far for us I-81'ers

image.thumb.jpeg.dd02a713ad5b810b5355b287d53fa52e.jpeg

Yes it has lol. Hopefully we can score something over the next few weeks. My concern is we get a few weeks relax period and before we know it, it' Feb. 1st and we are still  sitting at 1 inch for the winter.

Woke up to -14F in Canaan.  Incredible to walk out into that air this AM.  So clean and refreshing.  Bright sun there today just glistening over the snow.  Then, I make the sad drive home and drive out of Heaven and back into desert hell.  That map posted above says everything about living in this cursed place.  Doesn't matter if it's showing snow cover or precip; always the same.  Dry, dry, dry.

6 hours ago, WVsnowlover said:

Current satellite image. Pretty much sums up the winter for us westerners so far.

FB_IMG_1515378450426.jpg

Yep, that was the photo I was slightly upset about earlier lol.

But you know, I found out about something that really makes me feel a lot better, a whole lot better.

Boston got storm surge from that badass storm a few days ago. The ocean water was like 1 to 4 feet deep. It inundated houses and cars. But you want to know the best thing about it? The ocean water FROZE.

https://watchers.news/2018/01/05/boston-breaks-the-highest-ever-recorded-tide-followed-by-frozen-floods/

Thats right, a total catastrophe. This is the kind of winter weather I like best. I would be the ONLY person able to walk on that ice. I would literally be the last man standing. I worship winter, no matter what, to the total and utter exclusion of everyone and everything else. I call subzero weather with 55 mph gusts HOME.

I absolutely ADORE and WORSHIP these kinds of winter weather catastrophes. This is exactly what I pray for every day. Those photographs, of feet of frozen ocean water around homes and yards and cars, are the ultimate expression of winter weather beauty. And, FEMA is completely BANKRUPT after this past fall. Thats the best part of all.

We gotta learn to help OURSELVES, because no one else is gonna do it. No exceptions, ever.

Don't you love this winter so far?

Let's see Boston deal with that ice.

14 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Did anyone skate today? Any meet ups? Most importantly, any pictures???

Sure did. It was glorious; 19°F, the ice was 8 inches thick and a beautiful defused sunlight shining through the overrunning cirrus.  First picture is some of us chilling by a roaring fire and the second is of me and my twin sister. 

3341BFE0-395A-4C00-B89F-1D6E563B29DC.thumb.jpeg.6e4ccc661eadfbdde565bd1b9a706fa1.jpeg

BF273053-0665-40E3-A7BA-4FE2849D754C.thumb.jpeg.57223a2ed61bc5767cd20948e537f0d4.jpeg

Surprised by the 12.7°F low here in Clarksburg this morning. Very nice.

Here is the running tally for the cold snap so far: 

25Dec H/L: 36.6°F/27.1°F; 26Dec: 28.2°F/15.1°F; 27Dec: 23.9°F/9.8°F; 28Dec: 18.7°F/9.5°F; 29Dec: 25.5°F/14.6°F; 30Dec: 29.8°F/11.1°F; 31Dec: 17.7°F/4.8°F; 01Jan: 19.1°F/4.7°F; 02Jan: 22.2°F/5.6°F; 03Jan: 29.1°F/15.1°F; 04Jan: 25.3°F/11.4°F; 05Jan: 14.1°F/4.1°F; 06Jan: 15.1°F/0.4°F; 07Jan: 21.2°F/12.7°F; 08Jan: xx°F/xx°F

Amazing stretch of cold coming to an end.  Even the snow today seems really "warm" with it in the low 30s.  I've recorded three lows below minus 10 (-11, -16 and -19) over the last couple of weeks.  We've certainly seen snowier periods, but apparently the coldest 13 day stretch in Canaan Valley's history -- see below.

The last 13-days ( 12-26-17 through 1-7-18) are the coldest 13 days ever recorded in Canaan Valley, WV’s official National Weather Service 73-year climate record (based on preliminary data).  What was noteworthy of this brutally cold period was not that any one day had extremely low temperatures, but that this period experienced such consistently, much below average readings.   The warmest temperature recorded during the 13 days was 24 F with one day staying below zero F all 24-hours.

The average high temperature for the period was 12.0 F with the average daily minimum temperature being -2.9 F.  That yields a 13-day average temperature of 4.6 F, a whopping 2.5  degrees lower than the next coldest 13-day period in any other year. Ten of the 13 subject morning’s recorded sub-zero F minimum temperatures. The average temperature during this cold snap was equivalent to average January temperatures found at sea-level around the frigid northernmost shores of Lake Superior in Canada, 1,400 miles north in central Canada.

While the extreme low during the period was a modest -13 F by Valley standards, a new high quality research station in the Canaan Valley Wildlife Refuge located in a frost hollow, recorded two separate mornings of -25 F and -24 F on 1/3 and 1/7/18 respectively. 

The research temperature station is only 125 miles due west of Washington/Regan National Airport (DCA) as the crow flies. Canaan Valley’s official National Weather Service COOP weather station has recorded minimum temperatures in the 20’s F in all 3 summer months (June, July, August).  Canaan’s valley floor has an average growing season shorter than that found in Fairbanks, Alaska in the cold interior of that state.  It is the highest, large valley floor in eastern North America with an average valley bottom elevation of 3,250 feet.  It’s bath-tub like shape also helps trap cold air forming overnight extremely efficiently during clear, calm, dry weather conditions.

This frigid pattern is coming to an abrupt end this week.  Temperature should soar well into the 50’s F on several days by week’s end.

Some data courtesy of David Lesher.

Bob Leffler

• H2O unpinned this topic
  • H2O pinned this topic

Archived