Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Discobs Thread

George BM

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, WVclimo said:

Another record falls at MRB !  Here is a list of new marks set this during this cold snap:

1/6: max temp of 17 (previous low-max was 18 in 1988)

1/5: max temp of 16 (previous low-max was 19 in 1968)

1/3: low temp of 0 (previous record low was 4 in 1971)

1/1: max temp of 22 (previous low-max was 26 in 1977)

12/31: max temp of 18 (previous low-max was 19 in 1962)

Next one that is in jeopardy is the record low for tomorrow morning, +1 set in 2014.

MRB got down to at least -2.  Sixth record that's been set since last Sunday.  Currently -1 here.

Only made it to +2, darn it.  dp came up some over night and is only at -1 now.  That's probably why.  Still the coldest night of the year here and coldest since returning from overseas in 2009.

If we get anything tomorrow, even if temps are above freezing, the ground is so deeply frozen whatever comes will freeze on contact.  Going to be interesting... 

7 minutes ago, SlowerLowerDE said:

Low of 0 one hour ago.  Already up to 4.  The sun is strong this morning.  Still no mail deliveries here since the storm.  No UPS service either.  Hope to see things back to normal tomorrow.  We finally got our road plowed yesterday.  I am ready for the torch.

LOL Sussex County can’t handle this deep winter. 

Got down to just 3 here and now up to 8. Looks nice out without the wind.

Some questions for the hydrologists in the forum because I'm wondering about rain after a long freeze.  Obviously the ground is frozen, and my guess is that only the surface will thaw this week, so if it rains next weekend, how much of that would actually soak in and be of benefit? Wouldn't the majority of any rain just runoff after a freeze like this? 

16 hours ago, wxdude64 said:

Currently 11.5/-6.8 after a 15.2 degree high. A run for below zero seems likely with the winds laying down and the low DP's. I'll need to get below -4 to beat 2014. The 15.2 crushes the old low max for tomorrow of 21 from 1988, course we have to get to the 7am reporting time.....

Low was -2.8 degrees, so no record low, but the low max holds. Currently a balmy 5.1 degrees at 9:30 am.

9 hours ago, dailylurker said:

I love locust. I've got about a couple cords of some really dry locust. I'll be burning that towards the end of January.  Right now I'm burning 2 year seasoned chestnut oak (white oak family). I think it's just as good as locust. Locust sparks a lot. White oak and hickory are my favorite. I've got lots of black cherry for late Feb through spring. It's not as hit burning so it's easier to control when it's not that cold out. I burn soft wood like popular and silver maple when it's just cool and damp out. I cut all my own wood. I've got all the toys lol

Down to 4 on my backyard thermometer.

Burning 3 year oak here. Plus some No.2 HHO. If we didn't have the furnace, the stove would've eaten most of a cord the past 10 days.

I reported a low of -3 earlier, but it snuck down to -4.0 after I left for church. Looking at the car thermometer on the way, I had a feeling it might.

From Wakefield NWS

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 PM THIS EVENING/...
Quite a record breaking morning thanks to the arctic high
centered over the NC coastal plain. Records not only fell but
were smashed at RIC/ECG and SBY. Although not official, the temp
at NWS AKQ dropped to a bone chilling -14 degrees just after
sunrise. This also smashes the record for AKQ which was -8 set
on 1/21/1985. It will go down as one of the coldest mornings in
several decades.

15 hours ago, das said:

The C&O Canal has had skaters and hockey teams playing on it all week, all the way down to (relatively warm) Georgetown. It’s smooth and over 6” everywhere. I’ll be on it with friends and family tomorrow afternoon after church. Anyone feel free to stop by and say hello. We’ll be the 10-15 person group on the ice with a big bonfire skating around 600m south of Lockhouse 27 (parking at the Monocacy Aqueduct parking lot). My name is David so say hi to the group and one of us (me) will answer!

Bringing this to the top of the thread. Swing by and say hi!

Sitting at a balmy 13.5°F in Clarksburg at the noon hour as I pack up my skates to head out. 

• H2O unpinned this topic
  • H2O pinned this topic

Archived