• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Discobs Thread

George BM

Pretty impressive driving around the Eastern Shore today. Looked like Canada. Wind was blowing snow across the road and drifting everywhere. Once I got out towards Herlock it started getting good. They had a nice storm on the Lower Shore. The ice cover on the waterways was awesome. It looked like the arctic. 

12 and dropping

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Bob can probably steer you in the right direction for MoCo, but didn't das say something about the C & O canal? That might be pretty close to you.

The C&O Canal has had skaters and hockey teams playing on it all week, all the way down to (relatively warm) Georgetown. It’s smooth and over 6” everywhere. I’ll be on it with friends and family tomorrow afternoon after church. Anyone feel free to stop by and say hello. We’ll be the 10-15 person group on the ice with a big bonfire skating around 600m south of Lockhouse 27 (parking at the Monocacy Aqueduct parking lot). My name is David so say hi to the group and one of us (me) will answer!

Gotta work on this some more but after Sunday DCA will have averaged <20F for a week(7days)

i think it's 1982 and one other year that happened but need to dig more 

We will snap out of this one quicker and more dramatically than the epic years but for what it has been  this is extraordinary.

Been at 9°F for the past three hours here in Clarksburg. Temps should drop quickly once winds fully decouple later tonight. The further east you are, the later that will happen. 

Edited to add:  High today was 15.1°F, a full degree higher than yesterday. 

25Dec H/L: 36.6°F/27.1°F; 26Dec: 28.2°F/15.1°F; 27Dec: 23.9°F/9.8°F; 28Dec: 18.7°F/9.5°F; 29Dec: 25.5°F/14.6°F; 30Dec: 29.8°F/11.1°F; 31Dec: 17.7°F/4.8°F; 01Jan: 19.1°F/4.7°F; 02Jan: 22.2°F/5.6°F; 03Jan: 29.1°F/15.1°F; 04Jan: 25.3°F/11.4°F; 05Jan: 14.1°F/4.1°F; 06Jan: 15.1°F/xx°F

1 minute ago, das said:

Been at 9°F for the past three hours here in Clarksburg. Temps should drop quickly once winds fully decouple later tonight. The further east you are, the later that will happen. 

Yep, if you look at current temps in VA, SE of Richmond were the wind has gone calm they are at or slightly below zero already. To the E and up to SE of DC where the winds are still 10-15 mph in low to mid teens.

Down to 3.9 here at 11 pm.

32 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

Yep, if you look at current temps in VA, SE of Richmond were the wind has gone calm they are at or slightly below zero already. To the E and up to SE of DC where the winds are still 10-15 mph in low to mid teens.

Down to 3.9 here at 11 pm.

Not to mention, RIC only received 2" of snow from this past storm, where here in PG SE of RIC, we have 8" snow pack on the ground. Crazy cold here!! Low last night was -4.   Currently already down to -2.

5 minutes ago, Tenman Johnson said:

12midnight obs

9F

nw 12

wc -6

Been special and last two days just frigid, bitter at times.

I totally agree on the "bitter at times"!! Crazy when it is colder here than it is in Wisconsin!! My daughter's in laws from Wisconsin came to visit for the holidays. I told them they brought the cold with them and forgot to bring it back with them when they left January 2nd!!  

1 hour ago, ATreglown said:

1/-9 , hoped we do not over power the grids like last night and power shuts down. Ready tonight though, kept the generator battery on a low charge all night. Ready!!!

My house stays 75 degrees regardless. I've had my woodstove roaring for a solid 2 weeks. I've burned a cord of oak in those 2 weeks. This kind of cold eats some wood.

Down to 6 degrees in my backyard and 81 degrees in my lower level. 76 upstairs. Woodstove is reading 600f.

Down to 9 here with -2 dp that's still dropping.  Not yet calm out, but getting there.  Am hoping to get below 0.  We're just far enough outside the Tyson's UHI to miss the "protection" of all that concrete (yuk).  If we hit the negative numbers, will be a first since I moved here in 85, albeit I spent 14 of these years OCONUS.

Was outside today about 5 hours taking down Christmas lights.  Bundled up and layered up and stayed warm, but it was a bit nippy when the gusts came through.  Felt good to be out in it and enjoyed the "Jeb Walk Effect" although I was just walking in circles and walking up and down the ladder.  Felt great to be out in it right up until dusk, but I feel it.  Being outside in the cold that long burns a lot of calories.  Something I need to do more of...  haha  

Great to hear about all the fun on the frozen canal.  Brings back memories of winter time in Ohio.  In the 60's and 70's.  Skating, ice fishing, and just doing what kids did back then.  Great memories...

7 hours ago, astarck said:

Maybe as or more impressive with this cold are DCA's lows especially with UHI. How often do we get 8 (incl. tomorrow) days in a row or 12 out of 13 days with lows below 20?

12/27     19
12/28     16
12/29     19
12/30     22
12/31     16
1/1         13
1/2         13
1/3         13
1/4         16
1/5         13
1/6         11
1/7         ??

Feb 2015 in NYC (which has an insane UHI - like it can be 20+ degrees cooler just a few miles outside Manhattan) averaged 16 for the monthly low.  Persistent northerly wind can mitigate the UHI effects.

19 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

My house stays 75 degrees regardless. I've had my woodstove roaring for a solid 2 weeks. I've burned a cord of oak in those 2 weeks. This kind of cold eats some wood.

Down to 6 degrees in my backyard and 81 degrees in my lower level. 76 upstairs. Woodstove is reading 600f.

Hard to beat good dry oak for burning, which is why it's the typical standard for firewood.  That said, there is one that IMO is better.  Try some Locust if you have any around, specifically Black Locust.  Black Locust burns just about as hot as Oak, but I've found it to burn much longer.  There's a lot of Locust in the area, especially over towards the Blue Ridge.  Look along the edge of clearings because Locust does not like shade.

Locust is as dense or more dense than Oak and it is much harder.  About the only harder commonly found wood in N. America is Osage Orange, but forget that stuff for burning.  It's nearly impossible to split because of the grain, even with a hydraulic splitter.  I have a splitter I build for my senior engineering project in college 33 years ago - still have it behind the shed.  Splits wood going in both directions and will work 3-4 guys to death.  Dry Oak splits well, but Locus is a splitter's dream, which is why they use it for split rail fences.  Normally only have to go about an inch into a Locust log before it splits the rest of the way, often with a nice "pop" that just sounds cool. 

Another feature of Locust is that it grows straight, is very tall, and has a small canopy.  So there's a lot of wood in one tree and not a lot of small branches that always take so much time to chop up and dispose of with an Oak.  Give it a shot if you can find it.  Don't think you'll be disappointed. 

Tonight was a most delightful winter evening, especially with that slight northerly breeze. It was a bracing 9 degrees, with a nice -9 degree dewpoint. I enjoyed my jebwalk over the occasional snowdrift.

I am truly saddened as I realize it will soon be hot outside in the coming days. Unlike us with our sparse snowpack, other ppl living well to the east and southeast will have much to regret as their deep snowpack will soon be a thing of the past. I know if I had 9 inches of snow here in Dale City, I would have fallen much in love with it by now. Its going to eclipse 60 degrees in just a few days, along with steady rainfall. I HATE winter thaws, but I take much comfort in knowing that the next few months will have much snow and even more refreshing cold, cold far deeper and far more profound, than what we have been treated to in the past week or so.

39 minutes ago, RDM said:

Hard to beat good dry oak for burning, which is why it's the typical standard for firewood.  That said, there is one that IMO is better.  Try some Locust if you have any around, specifically Black Locust.  Black Locust burns just about as hot as Oak, but I've found it to burn much longer.  There's a lot of Locust in the area, especially over towards the Blue Ridge.  Look along the edge of clearings because Locust does not like shade.

Locust is as dense or more dense than Oak and it is much harder.  About the only harder commonly found wood in N. America is Osage Orange, but forget that stuff for burning.  It's nearly impossible to split because of the grain, even with a hydraulic splitter.  I have a splitter I build for my senior engineering project in college 33 years ago - still have it behind the shed.  Splits wood going in both directions and will work 3-4 guys to death.  Dry Oak splits well, but Locus is a splitter's dream, which is why they use it for split rail fences.  Normally only have to go about an inch into a Locust log before it splits the rest of the way, often with a nice "pop" that just sounds cool. 

Another feature of Locust is that it grows straight, is very tall, and has a small canopy.  So there's a lot of wood in one tree and not a lot of small branches that always take so much time to chop up and dispose of with an Oak.  Give it a shot if you can find it.  Don't think you'll be disappointed. 

I love locust. I've got about a couple cords of some really dry locust. I'll be burning that towards the end of January.  Right now I'm burning 2 year seasoned chestnut oak (white oak family). I think it's just as good as locust. Locust sparks a lot. White oak and hickory are my favorite. I've got lots of black cherry for late Feb through spring. It's not as hit burning so it's easier to control when it's not that cold out. I burn soft wood like popular and silver maple when it's just cool and damp out. I cut all my own wood. I've got all the toys lol

Down to 4 on my backyard thermometer.

I can well imagine the incredible times the Eastern Shore is enjoying. Refreshing cold that rivals much farther north. Deep snow. Strong winds have been blowing that snow all over the place day after day after day. Residents getting treated to having to shovel, then reshovel and reshovel their walks and driveways out again and again and again and again and again and again and again due to persistent drifting. Thats a real treat. That's a bit rare here in Dale City. I wish I had to reshovel my driveway 97 billion times in one winter, with -10 degrees amid a nice, refreshing 35 mph north wind.

This is one thing about this windy cool wonderful jebwalk weather that kind of bummed me out: The thought what could have been had we gotten about 8 inches of pow and then all these winds. Roads would have been drifted shut all over Prince William, and the only person qualified to dig everyone out would have been me. Everyone else would have had a massive heart attack. Many would have ended up far worse than Beck Weathers on Everest, with severe frostbite. I love to dig snow. The more drifting the better, the stronger the north wind the better, and the colder it is the better. Dangerous wind chills are my specialty. I can out jebwalk and out shovel snow anyone, even ppl from Alaska.

They have NOTHING at all on The Jebman. I dont spend all day on a couch eating and watching TV, I am too busy worshiping my jebwalk, in the presence of cooling winter breezes and worshiping the sparse snowdrifts that were all we managed from that yuge hyped up so-called winter storm, because some greedy folks on the Eastern Shore hogged all of the damn snow.

I wish I had one foot of snow, zero temperatures, constant 35 mph north winds and the cool spell would never end til July.

I would be in Heaven. 

One last point: There will be NO below zero for me tonight. Ha ha there is not enough snow cover in Dale City, even in this chilly airmass. Norfolk with a foot of fresh pow will easily hit - 5 degrees. Hell Va Beach probably will too. Dale City BEATEN DOWN by a maritime climate lmao!

• H2O unpinned this topic
  • H2O pinned this topic

Archived