Weathernoob335
January Discobs Thread

George BM

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Warrior Bigfoot said:

Are you frozen-over there? 

I haven't checked in the past two days. Yesterday, my Dad had a significant fall and needed a lot of stitches. I am hoping to get out later and check ice conditions and might try to photograph the moon rise.

As of Saturday, the local ponds (one that is a couple acres big) were completely iced over and snow covered. The inlets along the Patapsco River had slushy ice and some large chunks of ice on the beach. The mouth of Rock Creek and Stoney Creek were completely ice free (they are pretty wide) but I noticed while going over the Rock Creek Bridge it was completely iced over and snow covered. 

I have heard a ton of gunfire today, at least 100 shots, waterfowl hunting must be pretty good?

29 minutes ago, ThePhotoGuy said:

I haven't checked in the past two days. Yesterday, my Dad had a significant fall and needed a lot of stitches. I am hoping to get out later and check ice conditions and might try to photograph the moon rise.

As of Saturday, the local ponds (one that is a couple acres big) were completely iced over and snow covered. The inlets along the Patapsco River had slushy ice and some large chunks of ice on the beach. The mouth of Rock Creek and Stoney Creek were completely ice free (they are pretty wide) but I noticed while going over the Rock Creek Bridge it was completely iced over and snow covered. 

I have heard a ton of gunfire today, at least 100 shots, waterfowl hunting must be pretty good?

Hope your dad gets well soon

and not too much hunting up this way, we buy the blind license every year to prevent them from using the water along our shore. 

4 hours ago, Warrior Bigfoot said:

Hope your dad gets well soon

and not too much hunting up this way, we buy the blind license every year to prevent them from using the water along our shore. 

Thanks. I was able to get out for a few. There has been a decent buildup of ice in this channel along Rock Creek/Patapsco River today. It was a balmy 20 degrees when I took this photo.

p2696914947-3.jpg

Another great walking night. Digging the full moon and the half inch of snow has barely melted. Creek is frozen thick. Low sun angle and sub freezing highs can really prolong a minor snowfall. Wind had some teeth. Wouldn't want to be walking around in a candy apple red speedo. We're having a real winter in these parts even without deep snow. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Another great walking night. Digging the full moon and the half inch of snow has barely melted. Creek is frozen thick. Low sun angle and sub freezing highs can really prolong a minor snowfall. Wind had some teeth. Wouldn't want to be walking around in a candy apple red speedo. We're having a real winter in these parts even without deep snow. 

Imagine if you were walking down in Woodbridge where it's even colder. You would be frozen solid

At 7 am when I report it was 1.2 degrees with a DP of -4.8 degrees, wind was W at 6 mph, WC of -10.4 degrees. It is now 0.8 degrees at 8:15 with the DP same and wind W at 5 mph, WC -9.5. The wind makes it feel colder but if it had completely died down we would have been closer to that DP. BTW that 1.2 shattered record low of 10 from 2002 and the high of 20.8 broke 1999's 30 for low max. Already broke tomorrows low with the 0.8 reading, old mark is 10 in 2001 until report time.

Low of 4.6°F this morning here in Clarksburg, 0.2°F cooler than yesterday.  Here's the running tally for this impressive cold snap:

25Dec H/L: 36.6°F/27.1°F; 26Dec: 28.2°F/15.1°F; 27Dec: 23.9°F/9.8°F; 28Dec: 18.7°F/9.5°F; 29Dec: 25.5°F/14.6°F; 30Dec: 29.8°F/11.1°F; 31Dec: 17.7°F/4.8°F; 01Jan 19.1°F/4.7°F

22 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Wow BWI actually had an intrahour low of 3 this morning. That is legit, especially with essentially no snow cover.

Our lake by work in Gaithersburg is completely frozen shut with the exception of one area with a continuous congregation of geese.  Even during the cold year of '13 - '15 it never froze this shut.  

31 minutes ago, astarck said:

As of 5:30pm today, my backyard weather station has been below freezing continuously for a week. I can’t say I thought that would be possible here. It will be interesting to see if tomorrow breaks the streak.

I doubted the EPS a few weeks ago when it showed DCA less than freezing for that long.  It’s been an impressive stretch to say the least.  Friday and Saturday will be the coldest of the season so far.  

• H2O unpinned this topic
  • H2O pinned this topic

Archived