Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter String

George BM

3 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

It is too bad what happened with the old board, but I can distinctly remember my favorite quote in my years on Eastern/American.  It was somewhere around Dec. 10th 2009 and Ji declared “this winter is a disgrace”.

Are there archives of this stuff? 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

re 09/10...would be cool to see some of those older threads from eastern.  looks like there's no archives anymore, at least that i've seen.

re that cold/flu...had that bastard 2 years ago.  still have managed to avoid it this year, though something is brewing (or allergies - too soon?).

in other news, the wizards winning and will we trend towards a snowstorm/event in the same night?  that would work.

1 minute ago, 87storms said:

re 09/10...would be cool to see some of those older threads from eastern.  looks like there's no archives anymore, at least that i've seen.

re that cold/flu...had that bastard 2 years ago.  still have managed to avoid this year, though something is brewing (or allergies - too soon?).

in other news, the wizards winning and will we trend toward a snowstorm/event in the same night?  that would work.

I still have the radio show with my own hysteria in the background. lol

1 hour ago, 87storms said:

i forgot i listened into part of that one.  we had gotten nam'd bigtime right before the storm, maybe even the same night of the show.

Maybe I could pull some clips to upload.

This may have been the December one, but I'm not certain.  I'll try to put together a bunch of mini clips as 1 file.  Any tips how to do this without requiring a download to listen?

snowmageddonradioshowclip1.mp4

9 hours ago, Cobalt said:

Are there archives of this stuff? 

Someone who knows better can correct me, but my understanding is that when the prior board (Eastern) dissolved the owner sold the server to someone else who put it back online, mostly just as an archive.  That lasted for a while and then the person passed away.  Pretty sure that marks the end of the story.

10 hours ago, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

Maybe I could pull some clips to upload.

This may have been the December one, but I'm not certain.  I'll try to put together a bunch of mini clips as 1 file.  Any tips how to do this without requiring a download to listen?

snowmageddonradioshowclip1.mp4

not sure of the rules behind that (if there's any), but youtube might be the easiest since not everyone would have spotify, apple music, etc.

11 hours ago, H2O said:

I think I speak on behalf of most in the MA forum

Ji, shut up

Years ago I used to wonder what the heck is Ji's issue.  Then, I learned to realize that he is simply a foil or that little devil guy on your shoulder that always tells you what you don't want to hear.  I have learned to fully appreciated Ji and almost to value you his input as it makes me laugh now rather than get perturbed.  That being said, there can be and is only one Ji.  When we have a boatload of mini-Ji's the ship sinks!!  Allow Ji to be Ji!!  Like or dislike as you so desire.....Put him on ignore if you choose....But don't try to become Ji!  Too many Ji's spoil the pot!!

27 minutes ago, WeathermanB said:

Although i kinda have a more snow bias, i'm looking forward into a rain/snow storm where it starts out as rain on a school morning then i arrive at the school and it starts snowing.

Then we get a early dismissal.

Then the snow stops by mid-afternoon.

I've been a smart a$$, just my personality, and I'm sorry that's not really fair given I know your young and I was probably no better. But please take this as constructive advice. 

Most of your posts belong in banter. Discussing your feelings or pure speculation about snow is banter. And definitely discussing opinions on how you snow may effect your particular school and what you want in that regard is banter. Especially when that snow is 5 days away. 

Analysis of guidance and patterns and trends as well as how those indicate our ground truth weather might turn out belongs in the main discussion threads. I'm not sure though how much of that you are capable of yet. And please don't take that as an insult. You will get there. But as big a weenie as I was too at your age anything I would have posted before I was 20 would have been total garbage. I mean that sincerely. And 75% of what I said from 20-25 would have been pretty useless also.  Given the availability of information now you might get there way before I did but for now most of these posts belong in banter. 

Let me preface this by saying we are going to see ALOT of snow in February up and down the I95 corridor from DCA-BOS. The setup is nearly a lock now.

With that said though, which models should we be using? I understand a blend is good and figuring out model biases is also a useful tool. But from what I've read here over the past few months, we should ignore the NAM because it is junk, the SREFs are garbage, the GFS has been unreliable, the Euro isnt the king anymore, the NAVGEM isnt useful, the LR ens are a crapshoot, CRAS is garbage, CMC has performed horribly, etc etc. There seems to be alot of negativity geared towards guidance this year moreso than years past. Have the models really declined in value or is this just a function of me reading posts where people are tossing model solutions because they dont show what they want to see? Just curious.

Ralph, the only reason guidance is getting hammered is because long range threats haven't crossed the med or short range often if at all. The angst (imho) is just frustration that things haven't worked out. Ops are best inside of 4 days. Nothing has vaporized inside of 3 days because nothing has made it that far. Right now all guidance agrees on the next 7 days. Variations embedded in the progression but the same general idea is pretty lasered in right now. If fri pans out then op guidance will suddenly look and perform great at long range again. Lol

46 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I've been a smart a$$, just my personality, and I'm sorry that's not really fair given I know your young and I was probably no better. But please take this as constructive advice. 

Most of your posts belong in banter. Discussing your feelings or pure speculation about snow is banter. And definitely discussing opinions on how you snow may effect your particular school and what you want in that regard is banter. Especially when that snow is 5 days away. 

Analysis of guidance and patterns and trends as well as how those indicate our ground truth weather might turn out belongs in the main discussion threads. I'm not sure though how much of that you are capable of yet. And please don't take that as an insult. You will get there. But as big a weenie as I was too at your age anything I would have posted before I was 20 would have been total garbage. I mean that sincerely. And 75% of what I said from 20-25 would have been pretty useless also.  Given the availability of information now you might get there way before I did but for now most of these posts belong in banter. 

And you could of said "that post belongs in banter, in case you didn't know. That statement is pure speculation"

It's that simple. 2 sentences, not 3 whole paragraphs explaining how i should be better. 

5 minutes ago, WeathermanB said:

And you could of said "that post belongs in banter, in case you didn't know. That statement is pure speculation"

It's that simple. 2 sentences, not 3 whole paragraphs explaining how i should be better. 

I dont care how old (young) you are, you come off as a bit of a jerk here. Post less.

Short enough?

4 minutes ago, WeathermanB said:

Perhaps I'm trying to effect change in more then just one post. If you don't know "why" your posts belong in banter it won't help you going forward with other posts. People here are trying to help you. You can either accept that help and get better or this is probably going to end with you getting 5 posted or given a timeout the next time we have a threat and things get tense and you piss off the wrong moderator. 

2 minutes ago, WeathermanB said:

I post evidence when i'm not on the banter strings. But occasionally i do make mistakes, thanks for the feedback. But seriously, the overreactions? they need to stop.

Overreaction is just your perception. Take the advice because it's good advice. You're only as good as your post history here but you can't grade your own posts. 

7 minutes ago, Wonderdog said:

Why does precipitation seem to straddle the 540 line on some occasions with these storms?

Because in the winter the boundary between subtropical air and polar air is likely to also divide the above freezing and below freezing column. And the 540 thickness often is a rough estimate of that also. Where that boundary and the baroclinicity with it is tends to be the focus of synoptic systems. 90% of our storms are baroclinic and develop along temperate gradients due to the potential energy inherent there and all it takes is to get flow of air crossing the boundary and you suddenly get lift and ... there we go. The overrunning of the boundary is going to enhance lift so in simplest terms it makes sense that precip will focus there. 

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived