Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Banter String

George BM

1 hour ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Need to brag for a second. ^_^

Just got into UVA. Probably my #1 right now. Those who here who gave me college advice, thanks. Still haven't made up my mind though.

For those wondering where I applied,

Penn State (accepted)

JMU (accepted)

Villanova (accepted)

University of Minnesota (lol) (accepted)

UVA (accepted)

VT ?

W&M ?

UMD ?

UNC ?

Duke ?

If you don't "mind" staying in-state, then UVA has such a terrific academic reputation that I would suggest that you attend there over an out-of-state school. In state tuition isn't as much an advantage as it used to be, but man oh man, it'll still save so much money. The only school on there I could see going out of state for is Duke, but I don't think the difference is enough to be that much of an advantage when applying to grad schools or interviewing for a job. 

I'm saying this as someone who needed to get out of MD for at least awhile, so I didn't apply to any in-state schools. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, gymengineer said:

If you don't "mind" staying in-state, then UVA has such a terrific academic reputation that I would suggest that you attend there over an out-of-state school. In state tuition isn't as much an advantage as it used to be, but man oh man, it'll still save so much money. The only school on there I could see going out of state for is Duke, but I don't think the difference is enough to be that much of an advantage when applying to grad schools or interviewing for a job. 

I'm saying this as someone who needed to get out of MD for at least awhile, so I didn't apply to any in-state schools. 

i was the same way.  i had to get out...went to a school in nc for a year...somehow through debauchery still managed near a 3.0, but ended up coming back here and finished up at md.  everyone's circumstances are different.  money shouldn't drive every decision.  in some cases, it's just best to go out of state.

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

I told my daughters they could go to any school they wanted at long as it's in MD. lol. They did get into some good schools like JMU/Delaware/Mason/Penn St but even with "scholarships and financial aid" the annual bill was still $35-50k/yr for the out of state schools. That's insane. They are both in UMD, doing very well, and will graduate with very easy debt levels. I've paid as much as I can but I'm not going broke so they can go to parties every night. lol. Plus, I think having them invest in themselves and feeling the pressure of having to pay loans back will motivate them once they graduate. 

One of my close friends shelled out $160k for his oldest kid to go to Fordham. He's been regretting that decision for years. His other 2 kids went in state and they are doing fantastic. The oldest is still "finding" herself and working at a restaurant....after a $160k degree...oh the madness...pure madness. 

Its just nuts. I took a circuitous route- did 2 years at Community College then transferred to UMD. Worked part or full time the whole way. Other than a few grants early on I ended up paying completely out of pocket as I went. No loans. Took a while but I got a BS in Comp & Information Science with zero debt.

1 hour ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Yeah, went overboard on applying to places. I forgot one too, lol. Not really sure what I want to major in, but as you can probably tell from the colleges it’s probably in the Liberal Arts. Would be fun to take a met class if possible though.

Thanks everyone!

Congrats and good luck.

1 hour ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Its just nuts. I took a circuitous route- did 2 years at Community College then transferred to UMD. Worked part or full time the whole way. Other than a few grants early on I ended up paying completely out of pocket as I went. No loans. Took a while but I got a BS in Comp & Information Science with zero debt.

I did the same but for different reasons. I got into some good schools but chose Frostburg specifically because it was in the mountains and got a lot of snow. Ended up partying every night and not taking it seriously so my dad told me no more college and get a job immediately. I did but then went to junior college at night and got my associates then finished at UMD while working full time. Probably the greatest lesson my father could have done for me honeslty. I learned how to work hard, support myself, and get a degree even though I could have done it like most full time students. That work ethic has stuck with my me entire life and has payed huge dividends with opportunities. 

One thing I repeat over and over to my kids is no matter what job you get you need to be the hardest worker there. Always on time and volunteer for overtime every time you are asked. Do that and you don't have to worry about promotions because they will happen by default. Another lesson I repeat is that you are never "above" a job until you have  done it and mastered it. No matter what the job is. 

Definitely don’t mind an in-state school. Chose places within ~3 hours because I like it around here. Plus, I get to still be a part of this sub-forum

2 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

I did the same but for different reasons. I got into some good schools but chose Frostburg specifically because it was in the mountains and got a lot of snow. Ended up partying every night and not taking it seriously so my dad told me no more college and get a job immediately. I did but then went to junior college at night and got my associates then finished at UMD while working full time. Probably the greatest lesson my father could have done for me honeslty. I learned how to work hard, support myself, and get a degree even though I could have done it like most full time students. That work ethic has stuck with my me entire life and has payed huge dividends with opportunities. 

One thing I repeat over and over to my kids is no matter what job you get you need to be the hardest worker there. Always on time and volunteer for overtime every time you are asked. Do that and you don't have to worry about promotions because they will happen by default. Another lesson I repeat is that you are never "above" a job until you have  done it and mastered it. No matter what the job is. 

I literally just signed paperwork tonight for a college fund for my youngest (15 months old).  

I went to umbc strictly for the IT reputation and was an hour from home.  People say that’s too close to home, yet my parents never bothered me with visits, I never went home, even RA’d during winter and summer months on campus.  

Its all what you make of it but hopefully I can heavily influence my kids to stay in state as well.  It just makes it more efficient.  

Side note:  I took a few weather classes in college and actually see my professor at the gym.  He was excited I remembered him and his class 15 years later.  

14 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Need to brag for a second. ^_^

Just got into UVA. Probably my #1 right now. Those who here who gave me college advice, thanks. Still haven't made up my mind though.

For those wondering where I applied,

Penn State (accepted)

JMU (accepted)

Villanova (accepted)

University of Minnesota (lol) (accepted)

UVA (accepted)

VT ?

W&M ?

UMD ?

UNC ?

Duke ?

Congrats! Now that you've been accepted AND listened to advice while applying, DO listen again to those sharing their experiences and debt loads and plan accordingly. Best of luck as you continue forward!

2 minutes ago, yoda said:

Sorry about that... its a term borrowed from the SNE forum... like AWT.  I will try to dial it back if you dislike it

I don't necessarily dislike, i just don't... understand its meaning. where are you taking it? 

1 minute ago, yoda said:

We take as in we take the run.  Kind of like we like the run and hope that its right and we don't want it to go back to an ugly run where we would toss it

So you're taking your computer and running, and/or tossing based on a digital model output? 

do you see where I am having an issue with this? lol 

1 minute ago, mappy said:

So you're taking your computer and running, and/or tossing based on a digital model output? 

do you see where I am having an issue with this? lol 

:lol:

Yes, I see that.  And yes, that's basically it... taking the model and running with it because it shows the heaviest snow

1 minute ago, yoda said:

:lol:

Yes, I see that.  And yes, that's basically it... taking the model and running with it because it shows the heaviest snow

I'm just checking as I picture you unplugging your computer and taking it away to a safe location so it doesn't change. 

5 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

I've wanted to 'toss' my computer after having the rug pulled from underneath us before on a model run, does that count?

Yes, per Yoda's example, it does. 

4 minutes ago, H2O said:

When i take it I run with it right to the secret society.

2 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

RELEASE THE E-MAILS!!!!

These two posts are so good. #releasethememo

11 minutes ago, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

Why?

thanks, the bold helps.

its a reference  to the Nunes memo that is not being released but yet contains damaging details on the FBI, and a reference to missing texts messages mentioning secret society meetings between two previous FBI employees. Politics jokes. 

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived