Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Banter String

George BM

On 6/29/2012 at 5:59 AM, mappy said:

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC

510 AM EDT FRI JUN 29 2012

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

0506 AM HAIL 2 E COCKEYSVILLE 39.48N 76.60W

06/29/2012 E0.75 INCH BALTIMORE MD TRAINED SPOTTER

PEA TO PENNY SIZED HAIL

Go me :D

Congrats on your first storm spotter report! :thumbsup:

On 6/29/2012 at 10:07 PM, Bob Chill said:

Honestly, this reminds me of July 09 but in a much bigger scale. We had 60+mph gust in Rockville/Aspen Hill and the radar looks very similar. Only bigger.

Fun times down here as well for sure.

On 6/30/2012 at 2:24 AM, Ian said:

this is one of those times i guess we gotta hope their reasoning for not mod risking right now come together. i love storms but i think i could go with a miss tomorrow.

#FakeIan

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, C.A.P.E. said:

^Sadly I am only into the NFL. Hard habit to break.

Oh yeah, it is Championship Sunday. If that is your thing nothing wrong with it. Been a hockey fan a long time and Blackhawk fan since 90/91. BUT, I'll watch ANY hockey I can get on TV lol. There is end of 1st, 0-0 still. And I cracked open another diet Dew to go with the game :)

1 hour ago, RDM said:

PSU -  You and I exchanged notes some time ago about finishing your degree.  Go for it!  Do it now and don't look back.  No doubt I'm not aware of your particular family situation.  And you're obviously thinking about them too.  Just think of this...  how will you feel 20 years from now if you don't finish it? 

Up until my sophomore year at Wright State U. my full intentions were to become a pro met.  It was what I wanted to do since the age of 5 or 6, other than be a fireman like my dad, which all young boys want to be.  Half way through my sophomore year I spent the night shift with a pro met at the NSW office at Dayton Airport.  The Met who allowed me to shadow him was nice, but he told me several things that did not paint a rosy picture.  At that time nearly all NWS work was 12 on, 12 off 4 days a week.  (that's ok - often worked 12 hour days in my career including one 65 hour stint - not advisable)  Then he said I had to get your MS - (that was ok as I planned to transfer to PSU).  Then the kicker...  and this was circa 1982.  He told me the NWS was closing 50+ weather stations in the coming years as part of a large computer consolidation program (maybe Wes remembers that...).  Most the positions being impacted were going to be cut through retirements.  So the job outlook was not so great.  Since I could not see myself on TV, thought I better find something else for a career.  So I became an engineer. 

Even though I didn't go the Met route, my career took me to various posts overseas where I was able to experience some of the "best" Mother Nature can muster, wrt the weather.  From 3 meter snows in the Swiss Alps, to monsoon rains in Delhi to incredible thunderstorms in Bkk, to 60 foot snows in Japan and skiing down a snow capped Mt. Fuji,... I've been very fortunate.  However, I've never stopped wondering - what if....   Would love to have the creds to spend a winter month in the Mt. Washington station.  But that's likely never to happen.  You are still young enough you can do this.  With the following you have in the forum, you could make weather a full time gig.  Go public, start your own web site and incorporate. (it's very easy to start a S-Corp or LLC).  No doubt others in the forum would be very supporting and help promote you for all you've given the forum.  No doubt as well you've be heads and shoulders about our oft referenced famous JB (or infamous - haha). 

Speaking of my dad, he's a good example of never too late.  My dad was an electronic technician for his work - retired from Wright Patterson AFB.  Was also a volunteer fireman for over 50 years and in the first graduating class of paramedics in the state of Ohio.  He did all that with an 8th grade education.  Went away from home at the age of 15 to work, and then joined the AF at 17.  But he always regretted not finishing High School.   So in his early 70's he got his GED.  One of the proudest moments of his life!  Just a little analogy about it never being too late.

Please forgive the long winded note.  I really hope you find the way to finish up those last few classes.  Then if you do go pro and go online, I'll be among the first to subscribe and proudly so.  Take care, Rob

Thank you for the encouragement and for sharing those experiences. It is something I have considered. But there are lots of factors.  You brought up family and even though I'm not that young I started a family a bit late. I didn't meet the love of my life until more recently. I knew she was the one when she was excited to drive into a blizzard and get stuck, even helping me dig our car off the freeway. We have a 3 year old and another on the way in May. That isn't the primary factor but it does matter. 

Additionally I'm not sure what I should be doing. Besides weather my other passion is political issues such as social justice, education and equity.  To that end I work at a title 1 school in Baltimore teaching government and economics. I also coach a policy debate team and that can take up a lot of time. Sometimes as much as my primary job. I have in the past been the union chapter committee president but stepped down to take on other things.

But those career choices have lead me to involvement in several things I care about a lot. I've been involved in efforts to reform education policy.  I've been a part of social justice reform efforts in Baltimore and several other things from women's rights to reasonable gun control efforts (im not trying to ban guns). I also donate a lot of time to other charitable efforts when I can. I even started a protest here in Carroll County a couple years ago regarding some stuff I didn't like going on here and effected real policy changes.  

While those things are mostly on the side my career choice lets me have those opportunities in addition to the satisfaction I get from teaching. Between my primary teaching job, summer work, grading tests and projects for the city, and curriculum writing I manage to cobble together a decent living. And those things are flexible enough to allow me to get involved in all the things I do on the side as well as find adequate family time. It's a good and satisfying life and I'm not sure I want to give it up. 

On top of that I like what I do now in the forum. The free exchange of thought and information. Not sure how to think of suddenly charging for my thoughts. My thoughts aren't worth that much honestly. I probably will go back and get a met degree at some point even if it's just for my own satisfaction but it may not be until later.   

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived