Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Banter String

George BM

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Been fighting something myself since Sunday. Not the flu but bad enough where I have been miserable for a few days.

same, started sunday.  it's not the flu, but at minimum a cold.  my coworker's husband was just diagnosed with the flu.  some bad stuff going around.

We have been crying for moisture. I, have been begging for the rain/snow line. We have all been begging for the Gulf Moisture. We are about to be handed The Holy Grail of weather systems - The Southern Stream.

Its coming.

One way or another, its coming, at least 2 heavy storms in a row, loaded for Bear with torrential moisture.

We better start praying HARD  that there is just enough cold air...........

I really would not mind 9 inches of regular rain. We need the rain here, we are slightly dry.

But, I want enough cold air that Chill can get a few feet of pow, and the usual suspects up in Maryland get a lot of snow, and the mountains get lots and lots of snow. They are supposed to have a lot of snow by this point in the winter. They have the Climo, they are in the correct locations for lots of snow.

We had best start praying HARD AS HELL for enough cold air for at least those places to get all snow. Do a snow dance, start doing sacrifices en masse, do whatever it takes. Next two storms will be loaded with gulf moisture. Someone's gonna be a Winnah. Let's be that guy.

2 minutes ago, Jebman said:

We have been crying for moisture. I, have been begging for the rain/snow line. We have all been begging for the Gulf Moisture.

Its coming.

One way or another, its coming, at least 2 heavy storms in a row, loaded for Bear with torrential moisture.

We better start praying HARD  that there is just enough cold air...........

I did an epic Jebwalk on Dec 8th..Xmas lights and the whole deal. Thank God I did. Hard to swallow that our best event might have occurred last fall..technically speaking.  But this winter is headed toward disaster.  Every event has either vaporized or just failed and nothing has changed.  Getting close to sticking a fork in it.

the cold is still going around my office.  i had to take off mon/tues and work only part time today.  not as bad as what i had last january, but yea...colds suck.

Been fighting something myself since Sunday. Not the flu but bad enough where I have been miserable for a few days.

Feel better you two!

1 minute ago, Paleocene said:

PSU, you're exactly right. Can't have less than 0". 

OK so I like charts.  So I made one. I downloaded the data from here: http://www.weather.gov/media/lwx/climate/dcasnow.pdf.  That dataset goes way back to 1888, and measurement locations changed; infer what you want about climate, and the meaning of the differing measurement locations. Any mistakes are my own... I can upload the XLS if anyone wants it. 

Replying here because this is getting OT.  Thanks for posting that.  How did you convert it to Excel?  I played around with it, but copying and pasting wasn't working.

3 minutes ago, cae said:

Replying here because this is getting OT.  Thanks for posting that.  How did you convert it to Excel?  I played around with it, but copying and pasting wasn't working.

Yeah I don't want to clog up the thread much more. I was having the same issue - usually you can just copy/paste from pdfs but this one wasn't cooperating -  but google came to the rescue. I just uploaded the PDF to this website: https://pdftables.com/ and it worked like a charm

I’ve accepted that things simply aren’t breaking our way this year. I’m OK with that, especially since once February hits you can really start to see spring on the horizon.

My main disappointment is my older daughter getting screwed out of playing in the snow two years in a row now. Me? Whatever. But to see her want snow so badly yet not getting it for two straight years at this age hurts me deep down, to be quite honest.

I played around with historical snowfall data a bit.  Looking at just the last 50 years, a gamma distribution seemed to give a reasonably good fit to the data.  Based on that, here's the probability of getting at least "X" inches of snow in a given year (at bwi) as a function of "X".  Please take this with a grain of salt.

TRxTsox.png

Most PDFs will allow you convert to excel. It may not come in very pretty but it will convert. Should be under File somewhere

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived