Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Banter String

George BM

2 minutes ago, 87storms said:

i'll only post once here so not to clutter up the thread, but i was catching up on the 2016 youtube vids (because that's what i do when our winters are lame lol) and saw one of her pre-storm forecasts and was thinking to myself, "she's really good".  haven't seen any other reporting from her, but i thought she was spot on and that model they used showed the bmore to dc quasi/light dryslot period during the storm almost perfectly.

that said, i definitely take longterm tv forecasts with a grain of salt, but it's also easy to forget that most of the population doesn't have an interest in uber analysis for storms (for us it's a hobby).

will reply here in banter

I've been watching her for years and she is really level headed and seems to stick to the bigger models vs RPM junk. She also doesn't hype. Yesterday snow for example, she mentioned it briefly a week ago in her 7day. I even posted about how she mentioned it. Nothing more than a casual "something to keep an eye on" forecast, and look it snowed! I think that is all she was doing for the weekend. Said it was worth watching, nothing more, nothing less just a heads up type thing, because, well that's her job as an on-air met. 

I wasn't at all trying to say she's the go-to for forecasts, it was just a casual mention. I get what others think about it and that's fine. I watch because, well I like listening to the news while getting ready in the morning, and I personally like Ava. We have a lot of back/forth interaction on twitter, and she has mentioned me and my reports on-air quite a few times during events. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, mappy said:

Pann is awful, and doesn't handle being critiqued very well.

Burke is busy biking across MD for charities, selling #FaithInTheFlakes shirts and snow rulers these days. Can't seem to land a job anywhere... hmmm. 

Justin actually does weather forecasting for some of the MD county schools I believe. At least that's what he did. He's a eh forecaster as he drives hype too much for my liking. I have a lot of friends, who aren't mets, who follow him and I'll disagree with him and they'll counter with, "He's got more experience and he's seen stuff like that before. He might have a better idea." That's a favorite of mine because it's the equivalent of saying, "I'm going to take hitting lessons from Chris Davis over Mike Trout because he has more experience." Sure he's got more experience, but that doesn't mean his he's just going to automatically be right because he's older. And for the record, I ain't saying I'm a ton better, but I don't like hype. I did when I was a kid, but then I became a meteorologist and have become way more grounded. Live and learn everyday. That's what I love about the profession. 

18 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

He should've been fired for busting that horribly.  The day it started he was forecasting a foot of snow for Carroll County and we wound up with close to 30".  

Literally, not just in lead-up but as it was unfolding. He kept talking about 6-10 inches for Baltimore City when 12 was already on the ground on the way to 29. It was weird. Felt purposeful, and I couldn't figure out what his angle was.

1 minute ago, North Balti Zen said:

Literally, not just in lead-up but as it was unfolding. He kept talking about 6-10 inches for Baltimore City when 12 was already on the ground on the way to 29. It was weird. Felt purposeful, and I couldn't figure out what his angle was.

His angle has always been to be the guy who didn't hype it and can crow about the NWS et al busting too high. I know we're beating a dead horse but it's the banter thread in a terrible winter so there isn't anything else to talk about.

2 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Wasn't Tony Pann the one who said the blizzard of '16 was gonna end during Saturday AM for Baltimore?

He would have been close to correct, for the wrong reasons, had he said that for places east of I-95. That dry slot was missed by pretty much all forecasts.

24 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Justin actually does weather forecasting for some of the MD county schools I believe. At least that's what he did. He's a eh forecaster as he drives hype too much for my liking. I have a lot of friends, who aren't mets, who follow him and I'll disagree with him and they'll counter with, "He's got more experience and he's seen stuff like that before. He might have a better idea." That's a favorite of mine because it's the equivalent of saying, "I'm going to take hitting lessons from Chris Davis over Mike Trout because he has more experience." Sure he's got more experience, but that doesn't mean his he's just going to automatically be right because he's older. And for the record, I ain't saying I'm a ton better, but I don't like hype. I did when I was a kid, but then I became a meteorologist and have become way more grounded. Live and learn everyday. That's what I love about the profession. 

Yeah I think he still does. Visits schools a lot, which I do appreciate. STEM is really important and should be discussed. But he is a hype machine. 

1 minute ago, mappy said:

Yeah I think he still does. Visits schools a lot, which I do appreciate. STEM is really important and should be discussed. But he is a hype machine. 

Could not agree more. You know who I miss listening to for forecasts? John Collins for WBAL. My dad was good friends with him and I remember speaking to him the morning PDII started. I was so excited to be talking to an actual meteorologist. He always told me if I wanted to be a met, you had to work hard and do well in math and science. He was also someone who was very old school and never just went straight off model guidance. I learned what the term advection was because of him. An awesome learning experience that I carried with me to this day. 

4 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Could not agree more. You know who I miss listening to for forecasts? John Collins for WBAL. My dad was good friends with him and I remember speaking to him the morning PDII started. I was so excited to be talking to an actual meteorologist. He always told me if I wanted to be a met, you had to work hard and do well in math and science. He was also someone who was very old school and never just went straight off model guidance. I learned what the term advection was because of him. An awesome learning experience that I carried with me to this day. 

That's great! He always seemed like a good guy. I follow him on twitter, and he may even pop up in the next few months as backup help, Ava is expecting her second kid I believe in April... so he may be called in on the weekends or something to lend a hand. 

38 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

I second this.  He's a nice guy, good personality, people can relate to him and his forecasts.  I do think he does a good job explaining his points for the average person.  He also has a great passion for snow, just like the rest of us.  Problem is, just like you mentioned, it does pose some hype and there are people who relentlessly go with everything he says.  I haven't checked him out for a while, but he was a big CMC fan and whenever it showed a different scenario, he pointed out why it would happen as CMC described.

Either way, he is "selling" a product(s), and without the hype, it may hit the bank a bit. 

IMO and MO only...nobody can every top the golden years of Dave Schwartz (RIP). He was without a doubt the most amusing TV wx personality I've ever had the pleasure to watch. His style wasn't for everybody but his sense of humor worked perfectly with mine. 

I got away from TV weather once I figured it out enough on my own but Gordon Barnes will always hold a special place in my early wx enthusiast mind. My wife met Bob Ryan at an event in DC and apparently he was a conceited jerk. Just going off of second hand opinion because I wasn't there. Never liked him anyways. Nowadays I just stick to this forum and some twitter feeds. Seems to cover everything pretty well without spending time watching the depressing local news. 

11 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

IMO and MO only...nobody can every top the golden years of Dave Schwartz (RIP). He was without a doubt the most amusing TV wx personality I've ever had the pleasure to watch. His style wasn't for everybody but his sense of humor worked perfectly with mine. 

I got away from TV weather once I figured it out enough on my own but Gordon Barnes will always hold a special place in my early wx enthusiast mind. My wife met Bob Ryan at an event in DC and apparently he was a conceited jerk. Just going off of second hand opinion because I wasn't there. Never liked him anyways. Nowadays I just stick to this forum and some twitter feeds. Seems to cover everything pretty well without spending time watching the depressing local news. 

the banter Gordon Barnes and Glen Brenner had was awesome.  Brenner would troll Barnes all the time if a forecast busted.  I remember a broadcast where ti was supposed to snow and of course it didn't.  so Brenner came in dressed in Yukon gear with snowshoes talking about how hard it was to get into work due to the snow.  Total laughs.

13 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

YES. Dave was my go-to man during the 90s. Loved him. 

13 minutes ago, H2O said:

the banter Gordon Barnes and Glen Brenner had was awesome.  Brenner would troll Barnes all the time if a forecast busted.  I remember a broadcast where ti was supposed to snow and of course it didn't.  so Brenner came in dressed in Yukon gear with snowshoes talking about how hard it was to get into work due to the snow.  Total laughs.

Glen and Gordon were a franchise all on their own. Very sad to think about them now. TV news was different back then. Human interest and positive stories were always mixed in with the doom and gloom. I guess human interest and upbeat news is no longer desired by the public. 

2 hours ago, mappy said:

will reply here in banter

I've been watching her for years and she is really level headed and seems to stick to the bigger models vs RPM junk. She also doesn't hype. Yesterday snow for example, she mentioned it briefly a week ago in her 7day. I even posted about how she mentioned it. Nothing more than a casual "something to keep an eye on" forecast, and look it snowed! I think that is all she was doing for the weekend. Said it was worth watching, nothing more, nothing less just a heads up type thing, because, well that's her job as an on-air met. 

I wasn't at all trying to say she's the go-to for forecasts, it was just a casual mention. I get what others think about it and that's fine. I watch because, well I like listening to the news while getting ready in the morning, and I personally like Ava. We have a lot of back/forth interaction on twitter, and she has mentioned me and my reports on-air quite a few times during events. 

yea, just checked her bio too and she's got a met degree and living in colorado you experience a lot of variety, so she's clearly not a career changer who went to broadcasting school.  i don't mind seeing input from the various tv mets.  if anything, it's interesting to see the differences between their forecasts.  can't be any worse than a 84 hr nam or a radar infused tool like the hrrrrrrrr lol.

7 minutes ago, 87storms said:

yea, just checked her bio too and she's got a met degree and living in colorado you experience a lot of variety, so she's clearly not a career changer who went to broadcasting school.  i don't mind seeing input from the various tv mets.  if anything, it's interesting to see the differences between their forecasts.  can't be any worse than a 84 hr nam or a radar infused tool like the hrrrrrrrr lol.

LOL right. I do not believe i have ever seen her use the NAM or HRRR in any of her weather segments. 

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived