Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Banter String

George BM

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Here is how I recall JI that year. He complained when the first coastal early December only gave him 3" and called that winter a joke. 

In January he was canceling winter and calling it a huge disappointment. 

He had an epic meltdown before the 2nd feb storm developed right over him. Then he complained after that he only got like 12" when MD got 20". 

He complained when the late feb storm missed.

He declared the winter was somewhat ruined when the early march threat fell apart and that it ended up disappointing again. 

I remember the days when calling out Ji for anything was a no-no.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Here is how I recall JI that year. He complained when the first coastal early December only gave him 3" and called that winter a joke. 

In January he was canceling winter and calling it a huge disappointment. 

He had an epic meltdown before the 2nd feb storm developed right over him. Then he complained after that he only got like 12" when MD got 20". 

He complained when the late feb storm missed.

He declared the winter was somewhat ruined when the early march threat fell apart and that it ended up disappointing again. 

that.. seems unhealthy. 

1 minute ago, Jandurin said:

Also don't take things personally maybe.

Don't take this personally either.

I want to post lyrics from the you're so vain you probably think this post is about you but that might backfire :(

well unfortunately, when people make generalizing posts without specifying who they are talking about, it is easy for others to feel they are being talked down to in a way that they don't necessary deserve. Making assumptions suck and isn't fair. While calling people out directly is never fun, sometimes... like this case, it was probably best to do that so others didn't feel they were being swept up into this "stop complaining all the time" mess. 

1 hour ago, mappy said:

I think the moral of the story is we just need an area wide warning event so everyone can be happy again. 

Except for Ji, not sure he will ever be happy. 

Just saw a pann tweet chatting up the thurs/Friday thing so maybe things will turn for the better. On that note I’m gonna back outta here and into that thread lol

The cold we've experienced this winter has left me hungry for snow.  I think I'll keep my positive attitude through about 2/15, but if I don't get 2" or more in a single event by then, I'll be pretty much ready for spring.

This winter won't leave a bad taste in my mouth like last winter though, which was just way to warm then ended with a disappointing sleet-bomb as some sort of cruel joke.

1 hour ago, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

I remember the days when calling out Ji for anything was a no-no.

I'm not attacking him. I simply listed what he said. If repeating him is a problem the problem isn't mine. 

For the record I like JI. He is funny. And most of the time I get it and it's entertaining. Once in a while he goes too far. But lately the issue was we had 8 or 9 Ji's and it became too much. A little bit of JI is funny. A whole lot of JI 24/7 becomes toxic. 

Some of the backlash I feel is off in a tangent from what the issue really was, to me at least. I can't speak for others. 

I wasn't saying people shouldn't complain. Or say anything for that matter. I just thought it should be in the banter and panic threads that are specifically for that. That's all. I don't mind all that stuff but the reasons we have designated threads for banter, seasonal, panic, long range, and shirt range threats is so the conversation isn't one big hot mess that is unreadable. If it's ok to tell the global warming people to post in the climate change thread why does asking people to post banter and panic in those threads meet with such backlash?  It seems everyone can have what they want if we do that. Otherwise the one big thread becomes a mess. Unfortunately I kind of get the feeling "a mess" is what some want because their frustrated and that's their way of coping. 

I think my rant I unleashed in mdecoy was taken the wrong way. My issue wasn't his complaining. It was that he was basing his complains on BS and that he does it every year. Even good ones. He is just miserable. And so I decided to push back on his view of climo with some facts. I didn't mean that to imply you can't complain or feel any way you want. But no you can't pretend an 18" and 22" winter at DCA is a bad year. That's just crazy. 

Being completely honest....I'm pretty worried about mitchnick. Any chance anyone here has his cell # or something? It's way too out of character for him to be absent right now and it makes me a little uncomfortable. 

I don't know him IRL but it sure feels like I do after 10 years of this game. Don't like this one bit. 

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Being completely honest....I'm pretty worried about mitchnick. Any chance anyone here has his cell # or something? It's way too out of character for him to be absent right now and it makes me a little uncomfortable. 

i reached out to @stormtracker who said he'd touch base with him. 

12 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I don't know him IRL but it sure feels like I do after 10 years of this game. Don't like this one bit. 

Yeah, I agree. Even the flu shouldn’t have had him out this long unless it was really rough.  Does he post on AmPolitics? 

20 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Yeah, I agree. Even the flu shouldn’t have had him out this long unless it was really rough.  Does he post on AmPolitics? 

he has not visted ampol, under mitchnick, since nov 2016

edit: he posted Jan 8th on ampol

34 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I am very worried as well and inquired a few times but nothing... I really hope his is ok and every day that we hear nothing I get a little more concerned.  

33 minutes ago, mappy said:

i reached out to @stormtracker who said he'd touch base with him. 

Thank you... hopefully we hear something soon.  

I've been thinking about what's going on in the threads and why it's been contentious. I think it's related to this:

In the past, Matt (zwyts/deckpic), Ian, and even Wes (usedtobe) posted a lot more in the analyses threads. That's three more people providing tons of posts so the ratio of analysis posts to complaining posts was better. Now, with psuhoffman and Bob Chill writing the majority of the actual model posts--- without the inclusion of what used to be prodigious amounts of Matt/Ian/Wes posts-- the complaining posts make up a higher ratio. Yesterday, it was like one complaining post for every serious post. It's just not a good reading experience.

In my opinion, and this is just an opinion, if the two heaviest lifters doing the model analysis would prefer the main thread to run a certain way-- less whining infecting the threads---they should probably be listened to. It's not censorship or even group-think, in my opinion. It's just actually courtesy to the ones doing the most analysis. 

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived