Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Banter String

George BM

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, 87storms said:

13/14 was a classic and fringe legendary winter here.  anyone thinks otherwise needs to seriously consider moving north or northwest.  winter lasted for almost 4 months solid that season.

Yeah, that might be the best winter we ever see.  It had everything.  Started early Dec. and lasted until late March.  No real torch patterns, no long periods between events.  Multiple Dec events, big Feb storm.  The only downside was the unfortunate Christmas warm-up, and lack of real extended cold period(s).

14 minutes ago, 87storms said:

13/14 was a classic and fringe legendary winter here.  anyone thinks otherwise needs to seriously consider moving north or northwest.  winter lasted for almost 4 months solid that season.

11 minutes ago, 87storms said:

the blizzard of 2016 is at least tied for first for me.  96 was so dam good though, but 16 probably has it beat.  first storm i've seen here that i'm not convinced i'll see another one like it.

Just the entire 13-14 through 15-16 streak might not be a streak we see in even my lifetime. It was IAD's snowiest 3 year period on record, and we had at least 1 big snow each and every year (lesser 2015, but we still had 2 great events in Late Feb and early March). If we're paying for that with the lack of snow now, I guess it was worth it. 

22 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Just the entire 13-14 through 15-16 streak might not be a streak we see in even my lifetime. It was IAD's snowiest 3 year period on record, and we had at least 1 big snow each and every year (lesser 2015, but we still had 2 great events in Late Feb and early March). If we're paying for that with the lack of snow now, I guess it was worth it. 

it was a great run for sure.  09/10 was the mothership winter here, but we're paying for 13-16 right now.

13 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Agree with the others. The Flu is legit this year. Abandon neighbors. 

Yeah I got hit particularly bad, so severe in the past 10 days that I actually enjoyed upper 60s weather in mid January.

Don't stand in the express line at the local supermarket when a lady next to you is coughing like the Reaper is about to take her.

Maybe now I will finally grow up and quit wearing soaked t-shirts at 3am in 2 degree weather.

On 1/22/2018 at 10:15 PM, Cobalt said:

Can't believe it's been 2 years. Still kicking myself because I slept through the heaviest rates during the night. Measured 24" of snow depth, but that was without a snowboard, clearing it every 6 hours, and was after an hour of the storm being over. Probably got closer to 27" (judging by the reports near me). Hope we get another storm like it within the next decade or so 

We got 27 inches here. I was happily digging teratons of snow day after day after blissful day! My neighbors were all lined up, demanding that Jebman dig them out. Many asked for Jebman Standards. I was askin' myself, Just how many of these folks read the same weather board I am on? I had my work absolutely cut out for me but I was loving every minute of it!!!!!!

There was NO shortage of snow to dig THAT January.

15 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Look on the bright side. Constant exposure to viruses and bacteria builds up a healthy immune system.

Agreed! I have two girlfriends here at work with kids under 2, who are constantly sick. Then they, the moms, also get sick. I told them, it gets better. I recall the first couple years of mini-map's life where I felt like all we did was get sick. But now I can probably count on one hand the amount of times we have all been sick in the last year. There is def something to be said for getting everything when the kiddos are young and building up that immune system. 

11 hours ago, WeathermanB said:

Ravioli ravioli gimme the snow i deservioli

Word to the wise: do not go into a long range thread, in a subforum that doesn't include Dover, Delaware, and say a winter that was really quite amazing for THIS region, sucked. It won't bode well for you in the long run. 

Feel free to post it in banter however. 

1 hour ago, Mdecoy said:

Would put zero confidence in an long range GFS stuff.

It consistently showed a huge rain storm this weekend for quite awhile and then poof. Gone. The truth that no one wants to admit because it disrupts the hobby; the majority of the snow storms we get, are ones that don't appear on the models until a few days out.

Who isn't admitting that?  I've read dozens of posts saying this year isn't a good pattern for specific long range threats. I've said it at least a few times. Bob has. Others...so who isn't admitting it?

16 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Look on the bright side. Constant exposure to viruses and bacteria builds up a healthy immune system.

32 minutes ago, mappy said:

Agreed! I have two girlfriends here at work with kids under 2, who are constantly sick. Then they, the moms, also get sick. I told them, it gets better. I recall the first couple years of mini-map's life where I felt like all we did was get sick. But now I can probably count on one hand the amount of times we have all been sick in the last year. There is def something to be said for getting everything when the kiddos are young and building up that immune system.

I agree with this in principle, but I draw the line at the flu. No f**king way in hell do I want my 4-month-old to be exposed to it.

There's also a limitation to how much a little kid can take. It's one thing to have a cold here and there (and that's probably beneficial in the long run), but being *constantly* sick isn't good for a child's mental and/or physical development.

9 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Who isn't admitting that?  I've read dozens of posts saying this year isn't a good pattern for specific long range threats. I've said it at least a few times. Bob has. Others...so who isn't admitting it?

Everybody by Mdecoy. He's willing to say what others won't, goddammit!

1 hour ago, mappy said:

Word to the wise: do not go into a long range thread, in a subforum that doesn't include Dover, Delaware, and say a winter that was really quite amazing for THIS region, sucked. It won't bode well for you in the long run. 

Feel free to post it in banter however. 

He is a nut. Even for Dover that winter was a great one. To each their own I suppose. Not everyone likes persistent cold and above average snowfall.

And btw, Dover is in central DE, and part of this subforum...unless something has changed.

45 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

True, people have said its a bad year for long range threats, but people continue to analyze long range. We have an entire thread dedicated to it. If the 200 something hour GFS showed a major snowstorm for us right now, no question people would be posting about it.

Truth is, it is utterly pointless. You could spend 10 hours doing a scientific writeup on 10 days from now, examining all kinds of this, that and the other thing, and tomorrow it could be totally irrelevant.

That isn't just this year, its every year. 

Like I said, it is a truth that no one wants to admit, because it kills the hobby/profession in a sense. But look at many of our major snowstorms and you will find that they were not showing up 10 days or sometimes even 5 days previously.

EDIT: And I am not putting down people's knowledge or expertise, people like you really know their stuff.

11 minutes ago, Mdecoy said:

True, people have said its a bad year for long range threats, but people continue to analyze long range. We have an entire thread dedicated to it. If the 200 something hour GFS showed a major snowstorm for us right now, no question people would be posting about it.

Truth is, it is utterly pointless. You could spend 10 hours doing a scientific writeup on 10 days from now, examining all kinds of this, that and the other thing, and tomorrow it could be totally irrelevant.

Like I said, it is a truth that no one wants to admit, because it kills the hobby/profession in a sense. But look at many of our major snowstorms and you will find that they were not showing up 10 days or sometimes even 5 days previously.

EDIT: And I am not putting down people's knowledge or expertise, people like you really know their stuff.

Models should only be allowed to go out 120 hours for the general public.

12 hours ago, Cobalt said:

And the summer of 2014 too..... just a sweet stretch of weather that entire year.  Probably unmatched.

1 hour ago, Mdecoy said:

People are analyzing the pattern in the long range thread. There have been several fantasy storms and it barely gets a passing mention. It's ok to talk about what the pattern is likely to be like and what kind of opportunities could present in it. I don't see many or any doing analysis of specific storms in the long range. I think most are handling tgings well right now. 

1 hour ago, Interstate said:

Models should only be allowed to go out 120 hours for the general public.

1 hour ago, Mdecoy said:

Totally agree!

Yes let's protect people from themselves because a few people don't know what their doing. Let's ban the sale of hammers because some moron broke his thumb. Big brother much?

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived