Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Banter String

George BM

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to be honest, though...

My interest in the NFL started to wane about 10 or so years ago. Being out of the Philly area for so long and developing an ever-greater love for soccer has meant that I've lost touch with the kind of fandom I was part of when I was growing up/just out of college. My family is still all in the area, so I rely on them to keep me feeling like part of the proverbial flock. :lol:

I'll always identify as a Philly fan, though - I was born and bred into it - and it'll never leave me, for better or worse! :lol:

47 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Everyone has to respect Brady. While Peyton Manning is by far the best of the regular season, Brady does his best when it matters. No denying that. 

It's uncanny honestly. That trait divides the elite quarterbacks decisively. You have the Romo's, Jim Kelly's, and even Matt Ryan (although he might get another chance) and then you have the Brady's, Elway's, P Manning, Big Ben and where you can never count them out when it counts. They have some sort of hard wiring where their best game comes out during duress and pressure. There were a lot of great QB's who never won the big game like Fouts, Marino, and dudes like Moon and McNair but you can't hang their lack of SB success on their shoulders. Their teams lacked the full complement (defense usually) to win. Clutch QB's can do amazing things. And for that I put Brady at the top of the list. Last years SB was nothing short of shocking when it comes to clutch play. 

Now with all this being said...I can't stand the patriots and I hope to god the Eagles shut down Brady. That's the only way they win. Eagles cannot win a shootout or come back from a big deficit. Belichick may be the greatest of all time with halftime adjustments and doing the exact things necessary to stop a hot team in their tracks. It's almost like mind control and stuff.  

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

It's uncanny honestly. That trait divides the elite quarterbacks decisively. You have the Romo's, Jim Kelly's, and even Matt Ryan (although he might get another chance) and then you have the Brady's, Elway's, P Manning, Big Ben and where you can never count them out when it counts. They have some sort of hard wiring where their best game comes out during duress and pressure. There were a lot of great QB's who never won the big game like Fouts, Marino, and dudes like Moon and McNair but you can't hang their lack of SB success on their shoulders. Their teams lacked the full complement (defense usually) to win. Clutch QB's can do amazing things. And for that I put Brady at the top of the list. Last years SB was nothing short of shocking when it comes to clutch play. 

Now with all this being said...I can't stand the patriots and I hope to god the Eagles shut down Brady. That's the only way they win. Eagles cannot win a shootout or come back from a big deficit. Belichick may be the greatest of all time with halftime adjustments and doing the exact things necessary to stop a hot team in their tracks. It's almost like mind control and stuff.  

Brees is well known for having that "second gear" as well. It's just, unfortunately, he's never had the compliment he needed on the defensive side. Still got a Super Bowl the one year we did have that compliment. Even this year, with a pretty good defense, we gave up a last second touchdown after Brees brought the team back to a lead from down 17-0.

Then there's the entire crew of make something out of nothing quarterbacks. The most dangerous and hard to beat of the them all....Wilson, Rodgers, Young, Tarkenton, Staubach, Newton etc.. Again, just a slapped together short list. We know the type and unless they are on your team they will make you see red way more often than you want to. lol

This Ravens fan is def voting for Philly. I can’t stand Brady because he’s a constant whiner. I have way more respect for Big Ben, Peyton Manning and other great QB’s compared to him. Should be 4-0 in playoffs vs him if Lee Evans could catch, Cundiff makes a FG or if we had anything that resembled a secondary in 2014. Blowing two 14 point leads was debilitating. I will agree Belichick is best coach I’ve ever seen and very well could be best of all-time. He’s a mastermind. Much props to him. He always gets his team up to play in the big games and is certainly the best at making halftime adjustments. He also nevers allows team to take foot off gas. I can respect that.

2 hours ago, Cobalt said:

Everyone has to respect Brady. While Peyton Manning is by far the best of the regular season, Brady does his best when it matters. No denying that. 

That is a massive over-statement, with all-due respect.  Brady's regular season #s (stats and winning %) take a back-seat to no one.  And that is with largely playing w/o elite WRs (and RBs) in his career.  Aside from Randy Moss for 2 years, what elite WR would you say he's had?  And BTW, that season with Moss, he put up 50 TDs and a 16-0 record.  He's made Porsche's -mostly - from spare parts and cast-offs (Amendola, Troy Brown, Edelman, etc.).  Pretty much can't stand him, but he's just super-human.  Every year, they give him a new cast of characters, but he just keeps on winning and winning.

TB12 is the best ever. Not a Pat's fan but the guy has been in 8 super bowls the last 16, years and won 5 (going for 6 now). He never has all star receivers either. He's just unreal. Favre and PM18 are my favorites but TB12 is without a doubt the GOAT.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I think Brady is one of the best ever, if not the best. He’s ridiculous and what he’s done through his career is remarkable. Numbers speak for themselves. With and without WR talent. He’s got a lot of fire and pushes everyone to play their best. It’s exactly what you want in QB. Constant whining to refs gets under my skin. Just shut up and play. Pretty sad when even commentators know when teams go into NE, they say, “Prepare to not get any calls your way.” That’s pretty ridiculous that’s even a thing. Respect his ability and talent. Don’t respect his constant whining.

15 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

I was planning on rooting for Philly in case the Vikes lost, but after reading and seeing all of the crap that the Philly fans pulled at the game, I’ll be rooting for NE.  If there was ever a fan base that deserves their reputation, it is Eagles fans.  Sorry, Mattie.

I didn't hear of this.  What did they do?

3 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

I was planning on rooting for Philly in case the Vikes lost, but after reading and seeing all of the crap that the Philly fans pulled at the game, I’ll be rooting for NE.  If there was ever a fan base that deserves their reputation, it is Eagles fans.  Sorry, Mattie.

3 hours ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

I didn't hear of this.  What did they do?

Was listening to sports talk all day. Sounded like some boorish behavior. Yelling vulgar insults and in some cases throwing empty beer cans at people. Defacing the Rocky statue the night before the game probably wasn't smart by some Vikings fans. That seemed to really irk some eagles fans...more than it did me anyways. 

As an eagles fan here is my take. There are definitely some eagles fans who act stupid every game. And the bad element feeds off the reputation and acts worse. But from years of my family having season tickets I can honestly attes that everyone in our section was well behaved and most other fans I run into don't act that way. 

Furthermore the reputation feeds itself. The media reports things when they happen at lots of places and just don't get press. I've been at games that I didn't think were that bad then the media made it sound awful because a few idiots got arrested acting stupid. 

Ive been harassed and treated badly as a visitor at other places too. I will say the redskibs fans are some of the most polite I've encountered and always made my visitor experience there a good one win or lose. But some other places like Giants stadium I've found to be just as uncivil as philly honestly. There is no excuse for boorish violent behavior but the rep is also exaggerated imo. There were a handful of arrests last night meanwhile about a million people had a night long block party without harmful or abusive acts of violence.  

So please don't take this as excusing the social degenerates that throw beer bottles and curse out children. I've seen the bad. There is no excuse to punch a horse or a cop or get so drunk you throw up all over a row of fans (and a bit on my wife) in the first quarter, or launch a flare across the stadium, or drag a dead deer carcass around south philly before a Tampa game...and I've witnessed all that stupidness. It's not made up.  But stupid stuff by a few drunk idiots happens at lots of other football games also and simply isn't made a big deal off. 

I do agree that the way some football fans in general behave is a problem. And there have been cases of serious injuries and not just in Philly. But having been to games in lots of places philly doesn't seem appreciably worse anymore than many other blue coller football cities.  

Things were worse back in the day. During the run of dreg years in the 60s-70s the cheap seats in the 700 level took on a nasty brawlers reputation and it was awful. As a kid I remember the vet and how bad it was. The link isn't that way and the team has done a lot to clean things up and make it a more family atmosphere. It's not perfect but its not the awful atmosphere sometimes portrayed by the media.  The truly stupid acts are very sporadic and not the norm anymore. I do apologize for the handful of idiots that don't know how to behave however.

thats just my 2 cents as a lifelong eagles fan who has been to about 30 home games and 10 or so road games. If anyone disagrees with me that's fine. Since these are just my personal experiences and perhaps not indicative of others. 

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Was listening to sports talk all day. Sounded like some boorish behavior. Yelling vulgar insults and in some cases throwing empty beer cans at people. Defacing the Rocky statue the night before the game probably wasn't smart by some Vikings fans. That seemed to really irk some eagles fans...more than it did me anyways. 

As an eagles fan here is my take. There are definitely some eagles fans who act stupid every game. And the bad element feeds off the reputation and acts worse. But from years of my family having season tickets I can honestly attes that everyone in our section was well behaved and most other fans I run into don't act that way. 

Furthermore the reputation feeds itself. The media reports things when they happen at lots of places and just don't get press. I've been at games that I didn't think were that bad then the media made it sound awful because a few idiots got arrested acting stupid. 

Ive been harassed and treated badly as a visitor at other places too. I will say the redskibs fans are some of the most polite I've encountered and always made my visitor experience there a good one win or lose. But some other places like Giants stadium I've found to be just as uncivil as philly honestly. There is no excuse for boorish violent behavior but the rep is also exaggerated imo. There were a handful of arrests last night meanwhile about a million people had a night long block party without harmful or abusive acts of violence.  

So please don't take this as excusing the social degenerates that throw beer bottles and curse out children. I've seen the bad. There is no excuse to punch a horse or a cop or get so drunk you throw up all over a row of fans (and a bit on my wife) in the first quarter, or launch a flare across the stadium, or drag a dead deer carcass around south philly before a Tampa game...and I've witnessed all that stupidness. It's not made up.  But stupid stuff by a few drunk idiots happens at lots of other football games also and simply isn't made a big deal off. 

I do agree that the way some football fans in general behave is a problem. And there have been cases of serious injuries and not just in Philly. But having been to games in lots of places philly doesn't seem appreciably worse anymore than many other blue coller football cities.  

Things were worse back in the day. During the run of dreg years in the 60s-70s the cheap seats in the 700 level took on a nasty brawlers reputation and it was awful. As a kid I remember the vet and how bad it was. The link isn't that way and the team has done a lot to clean things up and make it a more family atmosphere. It's not perfect but its not the awful atmosphere sometimes portrayed by the media.  The truly stupid acts are very sporadic and not the norm anymore. I do apologize for the handful of idiots that don't know how to behave however.

thats just my 2 cents as a lifelong eagles fan who has been to about 30 home games and 10 or so road games. If anyone disagrees with me that's fine. Since these are just my personal experiences and perhaps not indicative of others. 

There is video of full beer cans being thrown.  I’m glad that your section is calm, but it certainly seems from reading everything about the game that Philly fans have taken the “worst fans” moniker and wear it like a badge.  No way will I ever set foot in that stadium, which I guess is the point for some of them.

Here’s just one story from a board I frequent and trust:

wish I could report back a good experience at the game but man that was brutal. Beer bottles thrown at us, beer poured on us, probably 50 guys getting literally inches from my face screaming f* you you f*ing f*ggot get out of of my state/stadium. 

The entire tailgate fanbases yelling a**holes, f* you, f*ggots, get the f* out etc... everywhere we went.

We found a lot of Vikes fans in section MN tailgating and Philly fans were plowing through our crowd throwing beer at us. 

Getting hit with s* in our seats. 

Guy above me hitting me in the head over and over with his towel trying to egg me into a fight. 

Pretty much every eagles fan in the seats around me trying to picks fights..... 

We left at the beginning of the 4th along with 80% of the Vikes fans in the stadium. 

A 50 year old vikes fan lady, who was staying at our hotel, got jumped and kicked repeatedly in the stomach. They had a half dozen cops in our hotel lobby as the rioting was going on right outside in center city.

It was chaos man... Never seen anything like it in professional sports.

9 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

True.  I've seen lots of idiots at every stadium and sporting events.  As a Cowboys fan, my best visitor experience was in Baltimore.  Went there in 2000 (during the Ravens peak) and watched the Cowboys get blanked (and possibly not ever crossing mid-field), it was the worst you could imagine.  However, the fans didn't heckle; heck, we spent the game sharing / passing back-and-forth bags of peanuts through the section.  It made a miserable game, a bit of fun.

Now, Philly fans cheering as Michael Irvin lay motionless on the Vet turf, having to have his facemask removed from his helmet and eventually being carted off the field and into retirement.... I know there are good and bad in every crowd, but that was an awful loud cheer.

Another.  This is not normal or something that should be tolerated by the NFL.

I live in Philly and went to the game donning my purple. It was the worst fan experience of my life. There's a difference between good-natured ribbing and treating someone as subhuman for wearing another team's jersey. 

Philly really is a great city and has a lot of great people in it. In fact, 75% of the fans I ran into were more than kind. The issue is that save for 1 or 2 people, they all stand by and watch as the 25% treat you as human trash. We had 1 or 2 people scold their friends on our behalf and they were greatly appreciated. If the 75% were more like those 1 or 2, people outside Philly would realize it's a wonderful, historical city with lots of great food, alcohol, and culture. As a transplant who has fallen in love with those aspects of the city, it really angers me that even I was told to, "Go home you f--king fa---t," on numerous occasions.

The city of Philadelphia, the Eagles, the NFL, someone needs to encourage the good people of Philadelphia to not tolerate the idiocy of the rest of their fan base. It's unacceptable and a shame. I've been telling people at work all day it's their responsibility to get the nasty part of their base inline and not just say "Sorry".

ETA: We even had 7-year-olds calling us "A--holes" with their parents egging them on.

4 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Another.  This is not normal or something that should be tolerated by the NFL.

I live in Philly and went to the game donning my purple. It was the worst fan experience of my life. There's a difference between good-natured ribbing and treating someone as subhuman for wearing another team's jersey. 

Philly really is a great city and has a lot of great people in it. In fact, 75% of the fans I ran into were more than kind. The issue is that save for 1 or 2 people, they all stand by and watch as the 25% treat you as human trash. We had 1 or 2 people scold their friends on our behalf and they were greatly appreciated. If the 75% were more like those 1 or 2, people outside Philly would realize it's a wonderful, historical city with lots of great food, alcohol, and culture. As a transplant who has fallen in love with those aspects of the city, it really angers me that even I was told to, "Go home you f--king fa---t," on numerous occasions.

The city of Philadelphia, the Eagles, the NFL, someone needs to encourage the good people of Philadelphia to not tolerate the idiocy of the rest of their fan base. It's unacceptable and a shame. I've been telling people at work all day it's their responsibility to get the nasty part of their base inline and not just say "Sorry".

ETA: We even had 7-year-olds calling us "A--holes" with their parents egging them on.

That IS ugly. Reminds me of the scene in Talladega Nights where the boys started ripping the grandfather at the dinner table and Ricky Bobby and his wife encouraged them on.......

@MN Transplant

Wow.. that's crazy. People can't let themselves, or especially their kids get worked up like that. It's just like getting worked up over a bad winter, or worse. Something that isn't under your control. Saw a couple videos about Vikings fans walking in the parking lot around Lincoln Financial Field, and it seemed they were walking in another world. Crazy stuff. Philly really needs to crack down on that stuff. In no way should fans of the visiting team feel like they're inhuman at an Eagles game. Glad most of the folks there were pleasant, but the way you said it, it seems like those folks were the silent majority and never intervened.

8 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

There is video of full beer cans being thrown.  I’m glad that your section is calm, but it certainly seems from reading everything about the game that Philly fans have taken the “worst fans” moniker and wear it like a badge.  No way will I ever set foot in that stadium, which I guess is the point for some of them.

Here’s just one story from a board I frequent and trust:

wish I could report back a good experience at the game but man that was brutal. Beer bottles thrown at us, beer poured on us, probably 50 guys getting literally inches from my face screaming f* you you f*ing f*ggot get out of of my state/stadium. 

The entire tailgate fanbases yelling a**holes, f* you, f*ggots, get the f* out etc... everywhere we went.

We found a lot of Vikes fans in section MN tailgating and Philly fans were plowing through our crowd throwing beer at us. 

Getting hit with s* in our seats. 

Guy above me hitting me in the head over and over with his towel trying to egg me into a fight. 

Pretty much every eagles fan in the seats around me trying to picks fights..... 

We left at the beginning of the 4th along with 80% of the Vikes fans in the stadium. 

A 50 year old vikes fan lady, who was staying at our hotel, got jumped and kicked repeatedly in the stomach. They had a half dozen cops in our hotel lobby as the rioting was going on right outside in center city.

It was chaos man... Never seen anything like it in professional sports.

10 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

True.  I've seen lots of idiots at every stadium and sporting events.  As a Cowboys fan, my best visitor experience was in Baltimore.  Went there in 2000 (during the Ravens peak) and watched the Cowboys get blanked (and possibly not ever crossing mid-field), it was the worst you could imagine.  However, the fans didn't heckle; heck, we spent the game sharing / passing back-and-forth bags of peanuts through the section.  It made a miserable game, a bit of fun.

Now, Philly fans cheering as Michael Irvin lay motionless on the Vet turf, having to have his facemask removed from his helmet and eventually being carted off the field and into retirement.... I know there are good and bad in every crowd, but that was an awful loud cheer.

I was at that game. If my memory serves me deon sanders was acting like a fool dancing around like he was doing a prayer dance healing or something and that started the jeering. It kind of ended up being taken as cheering Irvin. I certainly didn't want to see him injured like that. He has actually never had anything but good stuff to say about Philly then and now. 

The rest of this stuff I can't defend. I can say I never experienced that kind of widespread behavior and I've been to many championship games win and losses. But I wasn't there yesterday. I'm still not feeling well enough. I had a party at my house instead. But I've heard from people there and they made it sound like the reports of bad behavior were blown out of proportion. 

But...I'm not there. And so I cannot pretend to know what's going on. I only have second hand accounts and those may be biased since their not hanging around Vikings fans. I have been to games with friends who are redskins fans and they weren't treated that way.  Maybe it's somewhere in the middle but that still doesn't change the awful experience for those fans. For that I'm sorry. I don't know what else to say.  

49 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I had to download Adblock and switch to Safari on my phone. They really need to fix this.

Thanks! Already use Safari (on my IPhone). I’ll try the Adblock. It literally just happened out of the blue...and only when I’m on our site. So random and weird.

I agree more should say something.  Our section would when a non regular got tickets and acted stupid. But sometimes on the street it's hard. Honestly some of those drunk idiots will just as quickly start a fight with another eagles fan. Most of the arrests I heard were actually between eagles fans. Not saying they aren't worse to opponents. But so you say something then end up spending the night in jail instead of watching the game when they punch you. I think that's why too many just walk by unless its really out of hand and physically threatening. I thought the last 10-15 years the climate was way better. What I'm hearing here sounds more like my memories from the 80s and 90s at the vet than my recent experiences at the link. But if they did revert to previous bad form that is extremely unfortunate and regrettable. And again I'm sorry. I don't wish that on anyone over a football game.  

51 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I was at that game. If my memory serves me deon sanders was acting like a fool dancing around like he was doing a prayer dance healing or something and that started the jeering. It kind of ended up being taken as cheering Irvin. I certainly didn't want to see him injured like that. He has actually never had anything but good stuff to say about Philly then and now. 

The rest of this stuff I can't defend. I can say I never experienced that kind of widespread behavior and I've been to many championship games win and losses. But I wasn't there yesterday. I'm still not feeling well enough. I had a party at my house instead. But I've heard from people there and they made it sound like the reports of bad behavior were blown out of proportion. 

But...I'm not there. And so I cannot pretend to know what's going on. I only have second hand accounts and those may be biased since their not hanging around Vikings fans. I have been to games with friends who are redskins fans and they weren't treated that way.  Maybe it's somewhere in the middle but that still doesn't change the awful experience for those fans. For that I'm sorry. I don't know what else to say.  

I don't think anyone is blaming you....

1 hour ago, Maestrobjwa said:

This time two years ago folks :)

12549018_1122156764463358_5934277278602899918_n.jpg

Can't believe it's been 2 years. Still kicking myself because I slept through the heaviest rates during the night. Measured 24" of snow depth, but that was without a snowboard, clearing it every 6 hours, and was after an hour of the storm being over. Probably got closer to 27" (judging by the reports near me). Hope we get another storm like it within the next decade or so 

13 minutes ago, 87storms said:

the terps lost.  if the wizards also lose tonight, then that's a low point, and we're clearly going to only go up from here in regards to snow chances.  i actually have no idea what i'm talking about.

The Wizards can't seem to beat teams they are supposed to beat

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived