Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Banter String

George BM

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Cobalt, gently I say to you, he's allowed to express disappointment on what he has had so far.

Yup. He even said "my" meaning in his backyard. It has been pretty awful out there, so I don't blame him for his view. 

28 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

It could change, but as of right now it's an unmitigated disaster.

You ain’t missing much. This was another railing topper here. The difference is that it was cold enough to stick on most surfaces. Hopefully we get even a minor shovelable event at some point.

1 minute ago, jnis said:

Plenty of reasons :)   I’m going to make this a Ferris Beuller day! The question is what am I not going to do... well except for sledding lol.

Now you're talking. Might I suggest Red Shedman or Flying Dog?

We are going to turn this subforum's name to the "Stepford Subforum" by the end of this miserable winter!

4 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Now you're talking. Might I suggest Red Shedman or Flying Dog?

We are going to turn this subforum's name to the "Stepford Subforum" by the end of this miserable winter!

Lol... Flying Dog would be awesome! I just have to convince my wife... she wants to go grocery shopping :( 

Seriously, we might go to an early movie then maybe stop at Flying Dog. Great suggestion.

39 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Cobalt, gently I say to you, he's allowed to express disappointment on what he has had so far.

I know this. It's very funky that areas to the East have 5x as much snow as him, if not more. What I'm trying to say is that all of our events have happened when cold air isn't of short supply, and so I see why he feels like he's getting screwed. I'd bet $25 or more that he ends up with more snow than Salisbury by the end of the year. Will send money via Paypal if wrong on April 1st (or later depending on how long this winter goes).

Just now, Cobalt said:

I know this. It's very funky that areas to the East have 5x as much snow as him, if not more. What I'm trying to say is that all of our events have happened when cold air isn't of short supply, and so I see why he feels like he's getting screwed. I'd bet $25 or more that he ends up with more snow than Salisbury by the end of the year. Will send money via Paypal if wrong on April 1st (or later depending on how long this winter goes. 

but you didn't say ANY of that with your post. you mocked him by saying "Things I learned: winter is over". 

13 minutes ago, mappy said:

but you didn't say ANY of that with your post. you mocked him by saying "Things I learned: winter is over". 

Yeah, and I apologize for that statement sounding rude, but these winters where folks to the East haven't had to worry about mixing issues are basically unicorn winters. He'll get the last laugh when we all taint and he get's his 8-12" somewhere between now and this time in February.

26 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

I know this. It's very funky that areas to the East have 5x as much snow as him, if not more. What I'm trying to say is that all of our events have happened when cold air isn't of short supply, and so I see why he feels like he's getting screwed. I'd bet $25 or more that he ends up with more snow than Salisbury by the end of the year. Will send money via Paypal if wrong on April 1st (or later depending on how long this winter goes).

I eagerly accept.

25 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Yeah, and I apologize for that statement sounding rude, but these winters where folks to the East haven't had to worry about mixing issues are basically unicorn winters. He'll get the last laugh when we all taint and he get's his 8-12" somewhere between now and this time in February.

Actually, this is the 2nd consecutive winter.  May turn around, may not.  I lean strongly to the latter.

3 hours ago, mattie g said:

2) Nearly every kid that comes to school without winter clothing does so of his/her own volition....

This winter, the wife and I have had ongoing challenge of "spot the teenager in short pants".  Sunday that we went below zero, I spotted him at Home Depot. Last week saw 2 at bus stops. (Prime warm-blooded-teenager viewing location). Used to be easy with our neighbor, (a great kid who helped take care of our dogs), often wearing shorts in sub-freezing weather, walking the dog. But he's gone on to college now (Frostburg). Try it, it's fun, and it makes you feel warmer. Or not.

We used to rationalize that these boys are just returning from basketball practice; or just gone running. But we kid ourselves. Youngsters just do not get cold easily. I was one once.

See also the photo Bastardi recently posted of the Kentucky wrestlers shoveling snow in their wrestling garb. They did put on boots at least.

17 hours ago, motsco said:

B.C. is the man, there are others in this place as well,  yoda , 007 aka the reaper, stormtracker, psu , and many others,  that h20 guy is always fun,  mappy, the dancing banana guy ,  there others but the names don’t come to mind.  

i try to show my thanks for letting me post by donating 20$ a year to the forum. not much but better then nothing. i think most rookies like my self should have to pay to play.  

and um ...... o Sht this isn’t the panic room is it...   :P

He heard that the banana was giving folks seizures like they were epileptic anime fans, so now he's just a hat with the theme of our winter.

4 hours ago, mattie g said:

This is honestly among the lamest of excuses I could possibly come up with for reasons to cancel school when there's a half inch of snow on the ground. This isn't necessarily directed at you though, because I've heard it elsewhere.

I've addressed it in this thread before, but a quick roundup:

1) There are resources out there that will provide for free/at a very low cost winter clothing for those who need or want it.

2) Nearly every kid that comes to school without winter clothing does so of his/her own volition.

3) It's often colder when it isn't snowing, so if people are so worried about kids not having cold-weather gear, why not cancel school for *every* other cold day that we have?

Sure.  I can remember many a day that I waited for the bus with snow swirling around.

My larger point was less about the winter clothes and more about the safety issues getting to school.  I do actually believe that's a concern, at least in Baltimore and other cities with poor walking conditions and low snow budgets.  I think the ease of sharing mishaps on social media only amplifies the school district's sensitivity to that.

For what it's worth, I already pointed out that I don't think an inch of snow should stop people from going to school.  The reality is just that it does.

58 minutes ago, H2O said:

good to see Ji only lasting a day on his promise to be a better poster

Somehow, this reminded me of the Jack Nicholson line in "As Good as it Gets", where he says "you make me want to be a better person!"  We need someone who can make Ji say, "you make me want to be a better poster!" :lol:

1 minute ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Somehow, this reminded me of the Jack Nicholson line in "As Good as it Gets", where he says "you make me want to be a better person!"  We need someone who can make Ji say, "you make me want to be a better poster!" :lol:

Somehow he pulls it off.  He can basically say anything yet it doesn’t bother me.  Like in that cold and snow lovers only thread.  Started in 2014 and Ji proclaimed it was dumb.  For some reason those simple words were funny

5 hours ago, GramaxRefugee said:

This winter, the wife and I have had ongoing challenge of "spot the teenager in short pants".  Sunday that we went below zero, I spotted him at Home Depot. Last week saw 2 at bus stops. (Prime warm-blooded-teenager viewing location). Used to be easy with our neighbor, (a great kid who helped take care of our dogs), often wearing shorts in sub-freezing weather, walking the dog. But he's gone on to college now (Frostburg). Try it, it's fun, and it makes you feel warmer. Or not.

We used to rationalize that these boys are just returning from basketball practice; or just gone running. But we kid ourselves. Youngsters just do not get cold easily. I was one once.

See also the photo Bastardi recently posted of the Kentucky wrestlers shoveling snow in their wrestling garb. They did put on boots at least.

There is one like this at my daughters bus stop. In cold weather I drive them up so they can wait in the car. There is this one boy who we always wait to see what he is wearing. We have seen shorts and short sleeved shirts in below freezing weather. 

34 minutes ago, 87storms said:

we're gonna have a warning level snow before the month is out. the SA winter lager i'm drinking right now says it.

I love me some SA Winter Lager.  One of the truest pleasures is shoveling a snow-pile and dropping a 6-pack in to chill, then taking breaks from shoveling and enjoying an ice-cold one.  Often times, my neighbor comes out to share.  Not much better than an afternoon spent out working in the snow and sipping on Winter Lager.  It's been 2 years since I've been able to do it.  Saddening.

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived