Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter String

George BM

1 minute ago, yoda said:

The Wizards can't seem to beat the teams they should... and then take leads in to halftime that are double digits and then proceed to blow them

Makes me mad too but I'd much rather be losing like that due to lack of mental focus instead of lack of talent. The NBA season is very long. The 2 most important ingredients down the stretch are healthy players and a hot streak. I think the wizards will settle into the hot streak. Never know about health. 

Toronto always seems to fade late and I expect this year to be no different. DeRozan and Lowry are pretty amazing though but the raptors just have a way of fading late in the season. Cavs are NOT as good as last year. Wizards should be a 3-4 seed and or a 2 seed if the quit losing dumb games They would already be a 2-3 seed if they won the games they were supposed to win but the NBA plays at such high level that you have to come out and swing for the fences every single night or you'll get beat. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Makes me mad too but I'd much rather be losing like that due to lack of mental focus instead of lack of talent. The NBA season is very long. The 2 most important ingredients down the stretch are healthy players and a hot streak. I think the wizards will settle into the hot streak. Never know about health. 

Toronto always seems to fade late and I expect this year to be no different. DeRozan and Lowry are pretty amazing though but the raptors just have a way of fading late in the season. Cavs are NOT as good as last year. Wizards should be a 3-4 seed and or a 2 seed if the quit losing dumb games They would already be a 2-3 seed if they won the games they were supposed to win but the NBA plays at such high level that you have to come out and swing for the fences every single night or you'll get beat. 

to @yoda as well..the wizards need more guys that are able to attack the basket.  they play a lot of hot potato and otto does as well because a lot of the players outside of wall/beal need to be setup.  what's frustrating to me is that john wall has been here 8 years and front office still doesn't know what type of team to put around him (uptempo, halfcourt, three point shooters...).  which is it??  also, with hand checking basically not allowed anymore compared to the 80s/90s, you're better off having 4 guys on the floor who can get to the basket.  i'd probably start wall, beal, and oubre and maybe put otto at the 4 where there's a better likelihood of otto being able to take his man off the dribble.  they could also use a rim protector.  i'm not sure gortat is really producing at the level this team needs.

25 minutes ago, 87storms said:

i'm not sure gortat is really producing at the level this team needs.

Nope. If he misses his first 2 easy jump hooks or put backs then he's going to have a bad shooting night.  I've seen it over and over. Conversely, when he hits his 8 foot jumper followed by a nice pick and roll in the first 4 minutes he has a good game. The big man position is so hard to fill and way too many teams chasing too few good ones. Could you imagine if the wizards had Embiid or Gobert or someone like that?

Oubre will start next year. I wish he would start this year. For a young guy he does all those little things like eyes in the back of the head with passing lanes and put back/rebound position among others. And he's becoming an accomplished 3 point shooter on top of it. All Oubre needs in minutes. 

The one thing I really love about the wizards is they built this this mostly through the draft instead of shopping FA. And they have done a good job at keeping a core group. I'd much prefer a legacy team and not a hit and run bought talent show. 

13 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Nope. If he misses his first 2 easy jump hooks or put backs then he's going to have a bad shooting night.  I've seen it over and over. Conversely, when he hits his 8 foot jumper followed by a nice pick and roll in the first 4 minutes he has a good game. The big man position is so hard to fill and way too many teams chasing too few good ones. Could you imagine if the wizards had Embiid or Gobert or someone like that?

Oubre will start next year. I wish he would start this year. For a young guy he does all those little things like eyes in the back of the head with passing lanes and put back/rebound position among others. And he's becoming an accomplished 3 point shooter on top of it. All Oubre needs in minutes. 

The one thing I really love about the wizards is they built this this mostly through the draft instead of shopping FA. And they have done a good job at keeping a core group. I'd much prefer a legacy team and not a hit and run bought talent show. 

true.  i was a little hesitant on the otto signing because they could use a low post presence instead, and oubre is waiting in the wings.  gortat is durable, but he's getting up there in basketball years, so they need to consider other options.  overall, i think leonsis has them going in the right direction, but hopefully he doesn't become overly loyal at the expense of team chemistry and building a contender.

It was a ****ty setup, ****ty setups produce ****ty endings, ****ty posts, and a couple of fake out runs to fool ****ty forecasters. Nothing we're not used too or haven't seen before.

I'm not going to let a 1-3" event make or break my winter.  These events produce more hype than snow even when they verify.

I have a good feeling that we'll have another threat to track by this weekend

This has NOT been a bad winter. I see why people complain due to short term busts, but let me quote roughly what Psu said a couple weeks back.

"Pattern is missing a storm by 500 miles. Luck is missing a storm by 50 miles".

I'm sure you can all agree that we've had plenty to track this winter. We've already had more accumulating events than all of last winter. In fact, we are miles ahead of last winter.

February for DCA had a big fat friggin' "T" for the entire month of February! In fact, we were still close to a decent snow event during the Feb 9th event. Areas to the NNE had a good 8"+ event out of that. We can't pick what winter storms we want to get. We can only experience what they give us. I feel good about getting a typical Nina snowfall total this season for all airports. That being 5-10" at DCA, and 10-15" at BWI/Dulles. Who knows, we may even get a major storm in between. 

To conclude this little tangent, the thing I've especially learned this month, and that many have probably learned, is that patience is a big factor in this game. We are overdue for a Moderate El Nino, and so who knows? Our patience might pay off in the next 3 years. Until then, we work with what we have. 

I have a good feeling that we'll have another "threat" to track by this weekend...

This has BEEN a bad winter. I see why people complain due to short, middle, and long-term busts, but let me quote roughly what Ji said a couple weeks back.

"winter cancel."

I'm sure you can all agree that we've had plenty of traces to track this winter. We've already had more dustings than all of last winter. In fact, we are centimeters ahead of last winter.

February for DCA had a big fat friggin' "T" for the entire month of February! In fact, we were still close, but failed as usual, to a decent snow event last year and this year. Areas to the NNE had a good 8"+ event out of that. God those northerners ALWAYS GET OUR SNOW. We can'T pick what rainstorms we get. We can only experience the 33 and rain =they give us. I feel horrible about getting a typical Nina snowfall total this season for all airports. That being 0-5" at DCA, and 5-10" at BWI/Dulles. Who knows, we may even get a major storm in between. That asteroid might hit too. 

To conclude this little tangent, the thing I've especially learned this month, and that many have probably learned, is that patience is a big factor in this game. We don't have it, and hence we whine. We are overdue for a Moderate El Nino, and so who knows? Our patience might (but it won't) pay off in the next 50 years. Until then, we work with what we have, shoveling brine and tears in the Panic Room. Or we work on building that Appalachian lake. 

love you Cobalt.

3 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I have a good feeling that we'll have another "threat" to track by this weekend...

This has BEEN a bad winter. I see why people complain due to short, middle, and long-term busts, but let me quote roughly what Ji said a couple weeks back.

"winter cancel."

I'm sure you can all agree that we've had plenty of traces to track this winter. We've already had more dustings than all of last winter. In fact, we are centimeters ahead of last winter.

February for DCA had a big fat friggin' "T" for the entire month of February! In fact, we were still close, but failed as usual, to a decent snow event last year and this year. Areas to the NNE had a good 8"+ event out of that. God those northerners ALWAYS GET OUR SNOW. We can'T pick what rainstorms we get. We can only experience the 33 and rain =they give us. I feel horrible about getting a typical Nina snowfall total this season for all airports. That being 0-5" at DCA, and 5-10" at BWI/Dulles. Who knows, we may even get a major storm in between. That asteroid might hit too. 

To conclude this little tangent, the thing I've especially learned this month, and that many have probably learned, is that patience is a big factor in this game. We don't have it, and hence we whine. We are overdue for a Moderate El Nino, and so who knows? Our patience might (but it won't) pay off in the next 50 years. Until then, we work with what we have, shoveling brine and tears in the Panic Room. Or we work on building that Appalachian lake. 

love you Cobalt.

Almost didn't notice the changes when I first glanced at your post :lol:

31 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

I have a good feeling that we'll have another threat to track by this weekend

This has NOT been a bad winter. I see why people complain due to short term busts, but let me quote roughly what Psu said a couple weeks back.

"Pattern is missing a storm by 500 miles. Luck is missing a storm by 50 miles".

I'm sure you can all agree that we've had plenty to track this winter. We've already had more accumulating events than all of last winter. In fact, we are miles ahead of last winter.

February for DCA had a big fat friggin' "T" for the entire month of February! In fact, we were still close to a decent snow event during the Feb 9th event. Areas to the NNE had a good 8"+ event out of that. We can't pick what winter storms we want to get. We can only experience what they give us. I feel good about getting a typical Nina snowfall total this season for all airports. That being 5-10" at DCA, and 10-15" at BWI/Dulles. Who knows, we may even get a major storm in between. 

To conclude this little tangent, the thing I've especially learned this month, and that many have probably learned, is that patience is a big factor in this game. We are overdue for a Moderate El Nino, and so who knows? Our patience might pay off in the next 3 years. Until then, we work with what we have. 

Well said!

@mattie g and @C.A.P.E. and @everyoneelsewhomaygiveahoot

Yesterday I was fortunate enough to go to a craft beer trade show with my boss from my other job down in Bmore. Got to try quite a few brews I'd never had before. Brewers Art GPT is a really good Belgian tripel, and I also really liked the brews out of Monument City, and Raven Beers (which is now part of DuClaw) has always been a go to for me. Good times,

But the best part of the afternoon was winning the raffle to the Caps game at Navy stadium in March. Rock the red!

Oh, and CAPE and any others on the good side of the bay, if you're around this weekend we are planning on going to RAR on Saturday. I'll buy the first round. May have to do lunch and dinner at that lobster joint across the street too. That jalapeño angry lobstah roll is legit!

20 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Yesterday I was fortunate enough to go to a craft beer trade show with my boss from my other job down in Bmore. Got to try quite a few brews I'd never had before. Brewers Art GPT is a really good Belgian tripel, and I also really liked the brews out of Monument City, and Raven Beers (which is now part of DuClaw) has always been a go to for me. Good times,

But the best part of the afternoon was winning the raffle to the Caps game at Navy stadium in March. Rock the red!

Oh, and CAPE and any others on the good side of the bay, if you're around this weekend we are planning on going to RAR on Saturday. I'll buy the first round. May have to do lunch and dinner at that lobster joint across the street too. That jalapeño angry lobstah roll is legit!

Wow sounds like a fun time. And congrats! 

RAR is a cool joint with great brews. I have only been there once. Cambridge has some really nice little gems hidden among the crap areas lol. Its coming along. I dont think I will be able to make it on Saturday unfortunately. Damn. If you go have a great time.

Stoked Wood Fired Eatery is a nice place. I have heard really good things about Rock Lobstah, but not been there yet.

24 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Wow sounds like a fun time. And congrats! 

RAR is a cool joint with great brews. I have only been there once. Cambridge has some really nice little gems hidden among the crap areas lol. Its coming along. I dont think I will be able to make it on Saturday unfortunately. Damn. If you go have a great time.

Stoked Wood Fired Eatery is a nice place. I have heard really good things about Rock Lobstah, but not been there yet.

I'm sorry that you won't be around. We've been to rar a few times, and the lobster place once, but never tried the Stoked Wood Fired place. May have to try that out this trip. And, yes, Cambridge is up and coming. Neat town especially along the water.

2 hours ago, Subtropics said:

As a lower 100s level season ticket holder, I expect more for the price my father is paying. The product on the court right now is a JOKE! The window has about closed too with the bucks and philly looking young and freakishly talented.

#FIRE ERNIE!

he's made some good moves/picks, but he's also made bad ones (and probably more so).  he seems to be good at putting together a playoff team as he's been able to get the wiz to the playoffs with 3 different roster revamps and i think 2 of them were completely different, but he just hasn't been able to get them to the next level and it doesn't even seem like he knows what type of team to put around wall (that's the most frustrating part).  this season and offseason will be key for him and the wiz future as this might be his last opportunity here.

4 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

I miss the old local on the 8s :(

I know there were multiple iterations before this one, but this one basically was a fixture of my childhood. I always hear the line before these came on saying "and now, your local on the 8s" in my head.

I downloaded the old Mannheim songs TWC used to play during the local weather updates during Christmas time. 

21 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I downloaded the old Mannheim songs TWC used to play during the local weather updates during Christmas time. 

Absolutely loved the Christmas music. Too bad we didn't have a big Christmas storm during that time. My fondest memory by far is waiting for the local on the 8s to see the radar to see how close the rain/snow line was on Jan 26th 2011.

3 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Nice! Gotta love the chance to try beers you’ve never had before! I’ve uad a Monument City Beer or two, I think, but I can’t quite recall.

Now...I have had more than a few RARs. My buddy’s brother-in-law hits up a lot of their releases, and I’ll either pay him for them or trade with Aslins. Some really good beers, for sure.

5 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I was on the road all day but I heard the snow event went to hell?

Yup, which means clskinsfan will probably continue to complain about this winter while he will continue to get snow through late March while we have mixing issues. Not trying to be rude, but he gets snow way better than us common folk farther East, especially in marginal situations, and so a few storms that jackpot areas to the South of us should not be the end of times, especially for his neck of the woods. Seems like areas to the extreme NW did get their first decent snowfall of the year, which is good. 

You'll have a lot more customers in the Panic Room come tomorrow morning. 

12 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Yeah, but a good day nonetheless. Bob let his collie loose and she went straight to work rounding up the herd. We've all been coralled and are better for it.

Many of us needed to be slapped upside the head. Me included. Bob did a great thing. That said, just 10 days or so until our next fail? ;)

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived