Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Banter String

George BM

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, H2O said:

I've almost given up.  Between getting yelled at when posts are cleaned up to just not wanting to take the time to deal with adults, I'll repeat that, ADULTS acting like babies over the one (uno, 1, primo) thing they have zero control over.  Weather.

I love snow, I love weather, I've been here since 2007.  But this place is now a drag.  No one listens, its the same thing repeated every storm threat and the juice isn't worth the squeeze.  Allegiance to Randy is what keeps me here.   

Don't blame you. Seems that we have so many self centered A-holes anymore on these boards that don't give a crap about anyone else, that they are sucking any and all enjoyment to be had from reading the threads. If/until they can actually grow up and behave like somewhat responsible adults things will not get better and all the moderation in the world will not change that. I am to the point I dread even opening the threads in the morning to see what fresh Hell they have visited on us. 

But all that aside. You have done a wonderful job moderating as you have always been reasonable and evenhanded with your duties. I would hate to see you go but if you did I could fully understand why. Heck, if the boards don't start improving soon I might just join you.

1 hour ago, H2O said:

I've almost given up.  Between getting yelled at when posts are cleaned up to just not wanting to take the time to deal with adults, I'll repeat that, ADULTS acting like babies over the one (uno, 1, primo) thing they have zero control over.  Weather.

I love snow, I love weather, I've been here since 2007.  But this place is now a drag.  No one listens, its the same thing repeated every storm threat and the juice isn't worth the squeeze.  Allegiance to Randy is what keeps me here.   

H20... some people do it to troll you.  You have to understand that while there are many on this board who really value the quality of discussion.. there are others that really just dont care. And furthermore, they probably think it is funny that someone would actually take the time to "word police" a forum.  

So people push the envelope.. because they know it will piss you and mappy off.. I was in the category for many years.. then I realized that I was just being an A-hole.. and I try to keep the bs in banter.  So dont get too upset over it.. it is just the internet.  The weenies and the nut jobs are part of what makes this place what it is... 

2 hours ago, mattie g said:

We always hope that new blood refreshes and rejuvenates a team, project, company, or even a forum, but it seems like the most recent additions to this forum aren't of the requisite quality to keep things particularly enjoyable. And the feeling that we've been screwed for the last couple years really doesn't help.

Thankfully, for those who aren't mods (whether scrub mods or not), we can ignore plenty of the crap that's stinking up the place right now.

You have to admit, though, that this place is not very inviting to outsiders.  I'm on the side of cutting some slack because otherwise it is really going to be like 50 of us talking among ourselves like a gigantic group text.

6 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

You have to admit, though, that this place is not very inviting to outsiders.  I'm on the side of cutting some slack because otherwise it is really going to be like 50 of us talking among ourselves like a gigantic group text.

I agree with you 100%. It's got to be tough for the (good) folks who haven't been around for a while to wiggle their way into the conversation. I had a tough time when I first started on eastern back in the day, but I stuck with it (even after Randy five-posted me at one point after what I thought was a facetious comment :lol:), and here I am all these years later still wasting my time virtually chasing snow.

I'm happy with what we will get. Just enough to make things look like winter without the heavy lifting of shoveling. I'll be perfectly happy with using a broom to sweep away the snow rather than trying to lift 10lbs to 15lbs of snow with each scoop of the shovel. Give me one good storm to make my kid happy (6+ inches) but I'm fine with 1" events the rest of the winter.  :D  

I guess I'm just getting old. lol I hear a faint voice. Perhaps it is Florida calling. :P

3 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

I am all for new posters.  Don't ever have a problem with someone coming in to add value and info.  That's rare tho.  Many waltz in and are like the guy at a party who tries to horn in on every convo and acts like an expert.  

All I've ever asked is that new people get a lay of the land before posting a ton.  If you are chill you will be fine, if not...expect a harsh greeting.  Add value and all is good in my book.

H2O when my girls were younger I had a hard time with all the little kid stuff that little kids do to annoy you. I am going to tell you a saying that one of their Pediatricians said to me.

Pick your battles. Some are just not worth getting into.

I have lived with this saying the past 13+ years and am now teaching it to my daughters. I have severe anxiety and it has gotten so much better changing my way of thinking when it comes to others. I am not saying to not call out if something is wrong. Just weigh the decision to see if you will get the desired outcome. Hope that makes sense. :)

3 hours ago, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

For the super ambitious folks...http://www.stormcenter.com/wxcsummit/live.html

eta: I look forward to watching these every January! :wub:

Everyone being so critical of the NAM is what triggered the 3km upgrade!  They are about to discuss why it's being discontinued. 

23 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

H2O when my girls were younger I had a hard time with all the little kid stuff that little kids do to annoy you. I am going to tell you a saying that one of their Pediatricians said to me.

Pick your battles. Some are just not worth getting into.

I have lived with this saying the past 13+ years and am now teaching it to my daughters. I have severe anxiety and it has gotten so much better changing my way of thinking when it comes to others. I am not saying to not call out if something is wrong. Just weigh the decision to see if you will get the desired outcome. Hope that makes sense. :)

So true. I've raised 4. Well, not finished yet...2 in college and 2 in middle school. Gotta let the little things go. Don't buy expensive furniture and put fresh paint on the walls. Just let it go and let kids be kids. Now...after 15 years in our house...we getting some nice work done on the house and buying some nice things. Painting over crayons and dirty hand prints or whatever is easy and fun. Watching crayons and dirty hand prints going onto freshly painted walls is not fun. Spilling koolaid on a beat up old sectional sofa? Whatever. Spilling koolaid on a $3k couch and brand new carpet? Come here kid, let me wrap my hands around your neck for just a minute or 10. 

Cold out? Fighting me tooth and nail about not wanted to wear a jacket? Fine, go freeze and we'll talk later. Then there's my boy... Gasoline and matches? Oh hell no.... Hammers and airsoft guns? Yea, go play in the yard. 

3 hours ago, PDIII said:

H20... some people do it to troll you.  You have to understand that while there are many on this board who really value the quality of discussion.. there are others that really just dont care. And furthermore, they probably think it is funny that someone would actually take the time to "word police" a forum.  

So people push the envelope.. because they know it will piss you and mappy off.. I was in the category for many years.. then I realized that I was just being an A-hole.. and I try to keep the bs in banter.  So dont get too upset over it.. it is just the internet.  The weenies and the nut jobs are part of what makes this place what it is... 

I know what trolling is.  I can deal with the trolling.  i didn't want my post to be a pity post.

But here is the thing.  I've seen just about every type, style of poster.  The know it all, the never wrong, the whiner, the bragger, the troll.  Those people can screw up any weather event and often do.  You did it and we had some battles.  Glad you learned.  I wish more would learn but we have long time regulars that feel they can do/say whatever they want and its all fine and dandy.  It isn't.  It gets old. It gets sucky.

The main issue boils down to how people choose to behave.  No one here will mind the funny post placed in the appropriate thread.  What is the single most frustrating thing is watching how grown people, 20+ years of age absolutely lose their minds and then act like spoiled 5 yr olds because something doesn't happen the way they THINK it should.  Maybe some of these people haven't gone through or faced hardships in life.  These hardships would teach most people that whatever falls or doesn't fall from the sky isn't the most important thing in life.  Life, love, friends, family, health, happiness are the things that matter.  Without those weather means jack squat.

I have gained so much perspective since I joined all these years ago.  I have seen my fair share of hardships, ones I wish on no one here.  Be blessed if you haven't dealt with death and sudden loss. my tolerance for people who can't seem to understand that lack of snow isn't end all be all has slowly been reduced over time.  These people seem unwilling to learn and change.  Its like they feel entitled to behave that way because its like people who go to sporting events and get hammered.  Their ticket makes them feel they are allowed to say terrible things no matter who is around them.

So here we are again.  Same issues we've had to deal with other times.  What's made this more annoying than usual is hearing from so many how bad its become.  Bob's post highlights that and I thank him for saying some things that so desperately needed to be said.  It has more weight coming from him cause he is far more respected here.  his value to the MA forum is without measure.  I'm just a clown who was asked to help out by Stormtracker cause he is a friend and knows I can be fair regardless what many here might think.  This place has been wonderful for me to learn and share a hobby with those who have similar likes.  i have made a ton of friends here online and off.  Some of these friends will be lifelong and I will always be there for them.

I want others to get from this place what I have been able to.  Good discussion and some fun.  We have gotten away from a lot of that.  As Bob stated, it would be nice if everyone took stock and reflected on what role they see themselves as having here.  You(general) want to clown?  Banter.  you want to whine and complain? I prefer you go somewhere else but seek the appropriate thread. You want to add posts to disco and LR threads? Make them good or ask questions where I'm sure someone will help.

We have good mets and others with a ton of knowledge.  I want them to post and give insight.  Not be run off.

Now that I've ranted and said far more than I should I fully expect to be trolled.

12 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

So true. I've raised 4. Well, not finished yet...2 in college and 2 in middle school. Gotta let the little things go. Don't buy expensive furniture and put fresh paint on the walls. Just let it go and let kids be kids. Now...after 15 years in our house...we getting some nice work done on the house and buying some nice things. Painting over crayons and dirty hand prints or whatever is easy and fun. Watching crayons and dirty hand prints going onto freshly painted walls is not fun. Spilling koolaid on a beat up old sectional sofa? Whatever. Spilling koolaid on a $3k couch and brand new carpet? Come here kid, let me wrap my hands around your neck for just a minute or 10. 

Cold out? Fighting me tooth and nail about not wanted to wear a jacket? Fine, go freeze and we'll talk later. Then there's my boy... Gasoline and matches? Oh hell no.... Hammers and airsoft guns? Yea, go play in the yard. 

Lol! So true. My wife wants new carpet and with  having a 7 and 3 year old I keep telling her she's crazy. Ive been able to put it off for a few years but eventually I'm going to lose that battle..lol 

Also it's amazing how you worry about everything with the first child  and not much at all with the second. 

12 minutes ago, Mdecoy said:

Its not that love, family, friendships aren't more important, its that those areas of my life are a complete and total disaster, and when I can look at snow as being the one bright spot in a miserable existence and that doesn't work, its just enough to melt down.

if you are relying on snow to make you feel better, i suggest you move to place where it snows more.

or... work on that miserable existence first (which i think you should). 

15 minutes ago, Mdecoy said:

Its not that love, family, friendships aren't more important, its that those areas of my life are a complete and total disaster, and when I can look at snow as being the one bright spot in a miserable existence and that doesn't work, its just enough to melt down.

Think Mappy said this, but snow is only around 75% of the year. Love, family, and friends can be around for 100% if you work on it. I get that family-issues might make that part impossible, but the rest is kinda up to you. Don't want to tell you how to live your life though.

Best of luck man, we all want snow here. 

the wizards forums are having meltdowns today as well.

a snowstorm and some key wins will solve everything.

it's ok to be disappointed if neither happens, but i think if you get too up or down then you're giving yourself too much credit over something you have no control over aside from the butterfly effect.  it's all about the ride.

2 minutes ago, 87storms said:

the wizards forums are having meltdowns today as well.

a snowstorm and some key wins will solve everything.

it's ok to be disappointed if neither happens, but i think if you get too up or down then you're giving yourself too much credit over something you have no control over aside from the butterfly effect.  it's all about the ride.

The Wizards can't seem to beat the teams they should... and then take leads in to halftime that are double digits and then proceed to blow them

14 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Think Mappy said this, but snow is only around 75% of the year. Love, family, and friends can be around for 100% if you work on it. I get that family-issues might make that part impossible, but the rest is kinda up to you. Don't want to tell you how to live your life though.

Best of luck man, we all want snow here. 

Thanks!

I tried, most people let you down. I don't really believe in long lasting friendship and love anymore. Its temporary. People change, things go wrong, life goes on. I guess if you are really lucky. Maybe.

tracking snow in this area really isn't smart either if you just want disappointment and letdown.

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived