Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Banter String

George BM

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, C.A.P.E. said:

At least it looks like my decision to wash the jeep this morning before the cold moved in was a good one. Heavy rain washed most of the salt off the roads, and with the Euro collapse there is likely no threat this week worthy of more brine/salt, and then a nice warm up. I might go shine the tires now. Might be a solid couple weeks where I can keep some legit bling on the ride.

Got some new cooper tires on mine and kinda disappointed I haven’t really been able to test them out yet. So far so good in the rain though which in this area is probably more important than snow  anyway.

14 minutes ago, 87storms said:

Got some new cooper tires on mine and kinda disappointed I haven’t really been able to test them out yet. So far so good in the rain though which in this area is probably more important than snow  anyway.

Mine is an SRT8 so its not going to cut through snow like a trail rated GC lol. That said, it has a snow mode like standard GCs, and when I was in Rehoboth for the blizzard it held its own. I run Yokohama Paradas, which is one of a few UHP all-seasons available for these rigs, outside of the awful (and awfully expensive) OE Pirelli run flats.

18 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Unfortunately, I think there are only a hand full of people that genuinely feel the same way. We all love snow of course and it does weird things to us. IMO, there are maybe four kinds of winter posters and it's almost like there are levels that you can upgrade or downgrade.

1. The (bad) Weenie--those are the posters who only go into the threads to get confirmation that snow is coming, and when there is a bad period or bad luck they're first to jump ship in spectacular fashion. I won't name names but those folks (God love em) are spotted from a mile away. That was all of us when we first started around here or elsewhere. 

2. The Thirsty Poster--these are posters who aren't much different from the (bad) weenie. They're still here solely for confirmation that snow is coming. Unlike the (bad) weenie however, they're desperate for the white stuff no matter what. We're probably all capable of getting here temporarily during an awful season (see last year) but these folks salivate when seeing a GFS blizzard at 384 and become despondent when it doesn't happen. They're the ones that take it personally when it doesn't snow, but they're so hooked they're going to track all the way until the first spring torch verifies. 

3. The Casual Observer--these are posters who could contribute something (or nothing), but because there are enough good to great posts that come in during the winter they realize not much needs to be said from them. They're the read more, post less types. When they post, whether it's in the obs or tracking or even banter threads, you see that they're contributing something or trying to be thoughtful even if the analysis is off. They feel the sting of a fail, but it impacts them less or they don't broadcast it to the world. 

4.  The Enlightened Ones--the hand full. These are usually the people that are mets (which brings a broader perspective) or posters that have been here a very long time and understand the region. They're weenies too, and will hurt if we have a catastrophic winter, but they are generally the last to hug a threat and first to cut bait when the odds say to. The problem with being an enlightened one is that everyone pays attention to you. Your posts have immense value, and along with it, you can lead people to the promised land or stick a knife in their weenie heart when talking about a threat. 

You forgot the wisecrackers.  The ones who can lighten the mood with a good quip or wreck a thread with excessive OT attempts at humor.  It's a difficult balancing act.

21 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Mine is an SRT8 so its not going to cut through snow like a trail rated GC lol. That said, it has a snow mode like standard GCs, and when I was in Rehoboth for the blizzard it held its own. I run Yokohama Paradas, which is one of a few UHP all-seasons available for these rigs, outside of the awful (and awfully expensive) OE Pirelli run flats.

I like those cherokees and also like the look of the older ones when lifted. Mine is a 2014 jk (right before winter of 2013 so good timing on that part I guess).  I haven’t done much off roading but my bro in law does (kinda) and I got his used procomps and they just did not work with my Jeep at all. 2 balances didn’t fix it. Really happy with the cooper discoverers so far. Mine is a daily driver so I wanted something that could at least handle our once every several years blizzard lol.

15 minutes ago, 87storms said:

I like those cherokees and also like the look of the older ones when lifted. Mine is a 2014 jk (right before winter of 2013 so good timing on that part I guess).  I haven’t done much off roading but my bro in law does (kinda) and I got his used procomps and they just did not work with my Jeep at all. 2 balances didn’t fix it. Really happy with the cooper discoverers so far. Mine is a daily driver so I wanted something that could at least handle our once every several years blizzard lol.

Those Coopers are a nice tire. Mine is a DD too- 2012 with 88k miles on it. These SRTs are AWD and do much better in the snow with a winter tire, but I cant be bothered with the extra expense and effort. A good all-season will get me through most  all of our winters here. If I lived in NE it might be a different deal.

I ran 2 sets of Yokohama geolanders on my suburban and got 55k out of each set. Loved them but I had to put new tires a year before I planned on getting a new truck so I went with the relatively inexpensive general grabber hts. I actually liked those more. Very quiet at speed and excellent wet traction. 

Not sure what I'm going to do on my Ram. Still has oem goodyears and they suck. Tread is good but wet traction blows. I never liked any goodyear tire and the ones I have now remind me why. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I ran 2 sets of Yokohama geolanders on my suburban and got 55k out of each set. Loved them but I had to put new tires a year before I planned on getting a new truck so I went with the relatively inexpensive general grabber hts. I actually liked those more. Very quiet at speed and excellent wet traction. 

Not sure what I'm going to do on my Ram. Still has oem goodyears and they suck. Tread is good but wet traction blows. I never liked any goodyear tire and the ones I have now remind me why. 

Mine came with Goodyear wranglers stock. Definitely not the best. The procomps were definitely more aggressive but I don’t think I’ll ever go used tires again. Vibrated like crazy too. I had them on too long and really hope my ball joints didn’t get too jacked up but my bro in law also did my brakes and didn’t see anything weird. So far I like the coopers. Little thin but smooth driving and handle the slick spots well. And after this tire talk I definitely want a storm now.

1 hour ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Those Coopers are a nice tire. Mine is a DD too- 2012 with 88k miles on it. These SRTs are AWD and do much better in the snow with a winter tire, but I cant be bothered with the extra expense and effort. A good all-season will get me through most  all of our winters here. If I lived in NE it might be a different deal.

Yea gotta ask yourself how much youll be going off-roading or how much you’ll need to plow through the deepest of snow. I think if I keep my Jeep forever ill get a lift and maybe 35s (money pit lol) but definitely not now.  I did have to get spacers tho. Did not like the stock stance of the wranglers. Those procomps were really wide for a daily and I think thats also a reason why it would oversteer on those road grooves.

7 minutes ago, 87storms said:

And after this tire talk I definitely want a storm now.

You and me both man. My Ram has limited slip front and rear diffs. I'm dying to try it out in deep snow. My suburban was really good. I drove it up my unplowed street after the first Feb 2010 storm. 4 wheel low and foot to the floor got me out. Also drove from rockville to Columbia during the height of Dec 2009 for a wedding. I was hauling the groom and all the liquor. Very important cargo. I have never seen so much snow on the interstates. 95 north was an obstacle course of stuck cars. I blasted through it all no problem. My favorite Jeb drive of all time. 

10 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

You and me both man. My Ram has limited slip front and rear diffs. I'm dying to try it out in deep snow. My suburban was really good. I drove it up my unplowed street after the first Feb 2010 storm. 4 wheel low and foot to the floor got me out. Also drove from rockville to Columbia during the height of Dec 2009 for a wedding. I was hauling the groom and all the liquor. Very important cargo. I have never seen so much snow on the interstates. 95 north was an obstacle course of stuck cars. I blasted through it all no problem. My favorite Jeb drive of all time. 

Lol nice. Weddings are awesome. And those suburbans are tanks. I’m not surprised it crushed. I remember the deform band in 09 just piled that morning. That storm was a bit of a slow starter but got going fast and furious once the coastal took over.

2 hours ago, cae said:

You forgot the wisecrackers.  The ones who can lighten the mood with a good quip or wreck a thread with excessive OT attempts at humor.  It's a difficult balancing act.

also forgot the Hindenburg observers who like to watch things blow up and watch people lose their sheets when the weather throws the middle finger at their live or die by their weather lives.

Nice truck conversation.  I got a new Tacoma in April after trading in my '03 with 245K on it.  I've been looking forward to trying out the 4WD in some snow, but after following CAPE and WxWatcher a couple weeks ago, I might try to go down to Assateague one of these weekends and try it out on the beach.  It doesn't hurt that there's a snowy owl that's taken up residence down there for the past month. 

Good afternoon and evening here.  Had the kerosene heater on in the garage and shot some pool with the game on, finished off the keg of bourbon pumpkin ale, and now just waiting for the chicken to finish on the grill out back to serve with some mashed potatoes, asparagus, and a couple more drinks.  Later, I hope to finish off the night with a slug of whiskey and good Jeb walk. 

I was made for weekends.

1 hour ago, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

The medication I'm on is making me miserable.  Is there anyone I can talk to here to put an end to the manic depression fallacy crap? https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-11188-89/trazodone-oral/trazodone-oral/details#

eta: "I know myself"

Trazodone is used a lot primarily for its sedative qualities.  The problem is that it has side effects that can linger into the next day.  There are better tolerated medications out there.  You should definitely talk to your physician about tolerability issues.

MDstorm

1 minute ago, MDstorm said:

Trazodone is used a lot primarily for its sedative qualities.  The problem is that it has side effects that can linger into the next day.  There are better tolerated medications out there.  You should definitely talk to your physician about tolerability issues.

MDstorm

This has not been fun for me.

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived