Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Banter String

George BM

2 minutes ago, gymengineer said:

Right, this thread and panic room are the places to have meltdowns. I really hate when the analysis threads turn into a contest of who can be the most best Ji wannabe.

Recency bias brings out the worst. If you can't look at each event individually and objectively then you shouldnt even bother with the entire hobby. 

Personally, I very much enjoy the mental exercise. Others are just mental. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Recency bias brings out the worst. If you can't look at each event individually and objectively then you shouldnt even bother with the entire hobby. 

Personally, I very much enjoy the mental exercise. Others are just mental. 

Speak for yourself!

eta: the hobby wouldn't exist without recency bias

8 minutes ago, Mdecoy said:

That hype was so premature. I took  look at about 2pm in the model thread and couldn't believe people were going crazy over one euro run on a storm 7 days out. Some people will never learn.

5 days and no one was going crazy. We liked the run. That's all.  No one said it's gonna happen. We do this all the time. And every time myself and others are careful to analyze a run but also clearly keep expectations in check. Comparing the h5 to past storms doesn't mean we said that's going to happen. And this is supposed to be fun not blood sport. Yet every time someone (often you) does this slow your roll thing. Maybe your projecting. I just enjoy analyzing a run and it's more fun when it's a good run. That's all. I didn't read anyone say it's gonna snow.  What do you want in there. "Oh the euro shows snow. Next" ugh

5 days and no one was going crazy. We liked the run. That's all.  No one said it's gonna happen. We do this all the time. And every time myself and others are careful to analyze a run but also clearly keep expectations in check. Comparing the h5 to past storms doesn't mean we said that's going to happen. And this is supposed to be fun not blood sport. Yet every time someone (often you) does this slow your roll thing. Maybe your projecting. I just enjoy analyzing a run and it's more fun when it's a good run. That's all. I didn't read anyone say it's gonna snow.  What do you want in there. "Oh the euro shows snow. Next" ugh
Speak for yourself

I'm all in for a foot

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

When the 00z Euro tomorrow night takes the storm away, people will riot.

Nah, here’s how it will go:

Tonight 0z: MECS 

Tomorrow 12z: 1-3” offshore low

Tomorrow 0z: back to a clipper dusting 

Sunday 12z: dry fropa 

monday 0z; clipper dusting 

Monday 12z: one last tease at a major coastal with WSW snow

tuesday 0z: clipper dusting 

Tuesday 12z: clipper dusting 

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Unfortunately, I think there are only a hand full of people that genuinely feel the same way. We all love snow of course and it does weird things to us. IMO, there are maybe four kinds of winter posters and it's almost like there are levels that you can upgrade or downgrade.

1. The (bad) Weenie--those are the posters who only go into the threads to get confirmation that snow is coming, and when there is a bad period or bad luck they're first to jump ship in spectacular fashion. I won't name names but those folks (God love em) are spotted from a mile away. That was all of us when we first started around here or elsewhere. 

2. The Thirsty Poster--these are posters who aren't much different from the (bad) weenie. They're still here solely for confirmation that snow is coming. Unlike the (bad) weenie however, they're desperate for the white stuff no matter what. We're probably all capable of getting here temporarily during an awful season (see last year) but these folks salivate when seeing a GFS blizzard at 384 and become despondent when it doesn't happen. They're the ones that take it personally when it doesn't snow, but they're so hooked they're going to track all the way until the first spring torch verifies. 

3. The Casual Observer--these are posters who could contribute something (or nothing), but because there are enough good to great posts that come in during the winter they realize not much needs to be said from them. They're the read more, post less types. When they post, whether it's in the obs or tracking or even banter threads, you see that they're contributing something or trying to be thoughtful even if the analysis is off. They feel the sting of a fail, but it impacts them less or they don't broadcast it to the world. 

4.  The Enlightened Ones--the hand full. These are usually the people that are mets (which brings a broader perspective) or posters that have been here a very long time and understand the region. They're weenies too, and will hurt if we have a catastrophic winter, but they are generally the last to hug a threat and first to cut bait when the odds say to. The problem with being an enlightened one is that everyone pays attention to you. Your posts have immense value, and along with it, you can lead people to the promised land or stick a knife in their weenie heart when talking about a threat. 

Aim for the enlightened ones!

eta: not just mets

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

Nah, here’s how it will go:

Tonight 0z: MECS 

Tomorrow 12z: 1-3” offshore low

Tomorrow 0z: back to a clipper dusting 

Sunday 12z: dry fropa 

monday 0z; clipper dusting 

Monday 12z: one last tease at a major coastal with WSW snow

tuesday 0z: clipper dusting 

Tuesday 12z: clipper dusting 

/thread

2 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Lol. I love snow but it is what it is. Now if the eagles lose tomorrow....then I'll be a mess. 

Gotta admit that I haven’t seen more than a few quarters of foozeball this year, so even though I’m excited for what the Birds have done, I’m pretty blasé about the whole thing. Might be different if Wentz hadn’t gotten hurt, but even then I’d likey be relatively emotionally uninvested.

2 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Unfortunately, I think there are only a hand full of people that genuinely feel the same way. We all love snow of course and it does weird things to us. IMO, there are maybe four kinds of winter posters and it's almost like there are levels that you can upgrade or downgrade.

1. The (bad) Weenie--those are the posters who only go into the threads to get confirmation that snow is coming, and when there is a bad period or bad luck they're first to jump ship in spectacular fashion. I won't name names but those folks (God love em) are spotted from a mile away. That was all of us when we first started around here or elsewhere. 

2. The Thirsty Poster--these are posters who aren't much different from the (bad) weenie. They're still here solely for confirmation that snow is coming. Unlike the (bad) weenie however, they're desperate for the white stuff no matter what. We're probably all capable of getting here temporarily during an awful season (see last year) but these folks salivate when seeing a GFS blizzard at 384 and become despondent when it doesn't happen. They're the ones that take it personally when it doesn't snow, but they're so hooked they're going to track all the way until the first spring torch verifies. 

3. The Casual Observer--these are posters who could contribute something (or nothing), but because there are enough good to great posts that come in during the winter they realize not much needs to be said from them. They're the read more, post less types. When they post, whether it's in the obs or tracking or even banter threads, you see that they're contributing something or trying to be thoughtful even if the analysis is off. They feel the sting of a fail, but it impacts them less or they don't broadcast it to the world. 

4.  The Enlightened Ones--the hand full. These are usually the people that are mets (which brings a broader perspective) or posters that have been here a very long time and understand the region. They're weenies too, and will hurt if we have a catastrophic winter, but they are generally the last to hug a threat and first to cut bait when the odds say to. The problem with being an enlightened one is that everyone pays attention to you. Your posts have immense value, and along with it, you can lead people to the promised land or stick a knife in their weenie heart when talking about a threat. 

You forgot the misery loves company poster...the ones when their snow is stolen from them they spread their bad mood like grandpa spreads herpes at the retirement home

53 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

You forgot the misery loves company poster...the ones when their snow is stolen from them they spread their bad mood like grandpa spreads herpes at the retirement home

Then there's the glass half empty or glass smashed on sidewalk and popped a bike tire posters. If your that miserable that you can't post a single positive or optimistic post ever then you might need to talk to a doctor and get some meds. 

21 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Then there's the glass half empty or glass smashed on sidewalk and popped a bike tire posters. If your that miserable that you can't post a single positive or optimistic post ever then you might need to talk to a doctor and get some meds. 

Ummm, got me thinking?  Maybe I should call on my doctor..... then again,  JI seems to think we are all crazy! So, I will just wait it out and see how things evolve!

7 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

14 hours ago, mattie g said:

I’m staring to think that Amped is among the worst posters in our region.

Am I late to the party on that?

Ummm, got me thinking?  Maybe I should call on my doctor..... then again,  JI seems to think we are all crazy! So, I will just wait it out and see how things evolve!

Ji is the only sane one and we are all the crazies.....seriously. He may be the only one that rarely bites on a threat and is generally against it happening while the rest of us scour over model data, logs, maps, charts, ensembles, teleconnection indices, etc. And guess what? His thoughts are usually correct with the threats fizzling out or never materializing while the rest of us crazies go back and create well-formed theories on why the models failed. We're the ones up at 1:30am for a Euro run while Ji is playing with the sandman watching the cows jump over the moon. He is the true folk hero here, hands down. 

23 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Ji is the only sane one and we are all the crazies.....seriously. He may be the only one that rarely bites on a threat and is generally against it happening while the rest of us scour over model data, logs, maps, charts, ensembles, teleconnection indices, etc. And guess what? His thoughts are usually correct with the threats fizzling out or never materializing while the rest of us crazies go back and create well-formed theories on why the models failed. We're the ones up at 1:30am for a Euro run while Ji is playing with the sandman watching the cows jump over the moon. He is the true folk hero here, hands down. 

This is a clown post bro Ji jumps on any run that gives snow and when it fizzles he spreads his demon seed like he got it on sale at Costco at a closeout price

If the snow won't come to you. Go to the snow.

Yeh, Only 3 inches, I expected more. Oh well.  But, it s still nice, its creates that feeling. Helps me deal with my mid atlantic winters. I am already planning another trip. This time no screwing around, I am going for a big one, a foot plus at least.

Maybe davis west Virginia, but the lack of cell phone service there scares me.

IMG_1023.jpg

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived