Newest Member
    Dano62
January Banter String

George BM

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, ATreglown said:

Hope you get to feeling better soon! Bronchitis sucks! Albuterol inhaler works well for that. 

Thank you. I blew past that to nebulized albuterol solution and prednisone. I've suffered from asthma my whole life so it's nothing I'm not used too. About 1/4 of my colds end up this way. Not fun but it could be worse.  I probably made it worse by refusing to take a day off work and doing too much. I don't have much choice now. 

I've dropped other videos into the banter threads or the anniversary threads of HECS to reminisce about past events.  I came across this video tonight:

This was my favorite 4-8" snowstorm ever: Temps plunged at the onset of the event; it was a rare successful changeover event (rain to snow); many areas in the forecast zones met the actual forecast ranges (unlike 3/4/14 almost exactly a year before); this storm continued the list of quality early March snowstorms that I've experienced; it was a high disruption event for a less-than-8" total. 

8 minutes ago, gymengineer said:

I've dropped other videos into the banter threads or the anniversary threads of HECS to reminisce about past events.  I came across this video tonight:

This was my favorite 4-8" snowstorm ever: Temps plunged at the onset of the event; it was a rare successful changeover event (rain to snow); many areas in the forecast zones met the actual forecast ranges (unlike 3/4/14 almost exactly a year before); this storm continued the list of quality early March snowstorms that I've experienced; it was a high disruption event for a less-than-8" total. 

One of my favorite events too below 8" too. That and maybe the Jan 26th 2011 event.

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

Thank you. I blew past that to nebulized albuterol solution and prednisone. I've suffered from asthma my whole life so it's nothing I'm not used too. About 1/4 of my colds end up this way. Not fun but it could be worse.  I probably made it worse by refusing to take a day off work and doing too much. I don't have much choice now. 

Ahhh, have a nebulizer here as well. Needed one for my daughter that would have like an allergy induce asthma. But had the inhaler too. She played travel soccer and would need it while on the field at times. And yes, we as adults tend to not take care of ourselves and over do it. Best to just rest when it is needed, but yet we are too stubborn to do so!! Guilty here as well!!

The upcoming storm in New England is one to watch. You think WE are gonna get some rain...........

Tons of tropical moisture, ANOMALOUS amounts of tropical moisture

Up to 4 inches of rain, some of which may pour down in 6 hours, more than exceeding flood guidance metrics

Ground in that region is frozen SOLID, it IS New England, after all. Runoff will be slightly substantial. I am very very glad I do NOT live there.

Existing 6 to 12 inch snowpack in the region, is absorbing moisture/will be absorbing moisture from the higher dewpoints and in some cases, the ground, resulting in 2 to as much as 3 inches of water locked in the snowpack - just the snowpack up there. Bear in mind - Ground is FROZEN up there, MUCH of the water WILL RUN OFF!

Very very anomalously MILD air temperatures will be advected up there.

Snow will melt, water WILL run off BIG-TIME, and add up to FOUR INCHES OF FRESH RAIN.

Don't forget ICE JAMS. There will be slight rises in water levels.

Climate change is but ONE perturbation. There are others. I will not go into those. Research, research, research, open your closed minds (not much chance of that, at least not until it is much too late).

2018 is going to be a very, very interesting time to watch the course of nature and of unfolding meteorology. We all have much MUCH to learn about the weather and what CAN happen. We WILL be treated to a crash course in it, lol.

This could be disastrous for the New England region. Let's hope it will not be. One lesson we all need to learn from these weather events though, is we gotta learn to help each other. We gotta put our differences aside and we just gotta do it. We MUST --- There is no try.

Been quite a few years since I had Norovirus, but I must have picked it up somewhere in Rehoboth. Hit me suddenly Sunday night. That thing is a biitch. The symptom I don't remember from the last time is the fatigue after the hideous 24 hours of constant crapping and puking. I am back to eating normally now, but damn I sleep a ton, get up for a few hours, and I am ready for more sleep. I don't even want to drink. This is day 4 with no alcohol. :yikes:

1 minute ago, Jandurin said:

Explosive aspect lasted "only" 12 hours for me but the fatigue was 36 hours total.

Whatever it was it was the sickest I've been in at least a decade.

Yeah that's about what it was for me too. Include the nausea and no appetite, and the death warmed over feeling, and it was a full day. But I still feel some fatigue 3 days later.

And same- I am just guessing it was Noro. It is so common and contagious.

6 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Yeah that's about what it was for me too. Include the nausea and no appetite, and the death warmed over feeling, and it was a full day. But I still feel some fatigue 3 days later.

And same- I am just guessing it was Noro. It is so common and contagious.

I always look at the bright side of stomach bugs. You can drop 5-10 pounds in a blink without doing anything...well...except puking and spray painting. 

Even with the retreat of the cold here, the Northern Plains continues to have some old-fashioned winter weather that has persisted since around Christmas.  Grand Forks, ND last hour: under a blizzard warning at -4F with heavy snow and blowing snow.  1/4 mile visibility.  WC of -33.  Winds 35 G48.  Forecast lows the next couple of nights in the -20s.  Cold wont be far away if the blocking cooperates and we can get a non-hostile storm track.

I had some sort of stomach virus on and around Halloween. Weirdest one I've ever had. I never threw up, but I did have horrendous nausea, along with a fever, fatigue, aches, and chills for 48-60 hours. After that went away, it was the sh*ts for two days straight, but at least the other symptoms had pretty much subsided by then. I got a prescription for Zofran, but only had to take one dose before the nausea started going away.

I definitely picked it up from my 5-year-old, although (of course and luckily) her symptoms weren't as severe as mine, and at least hers was gone in time for Halloween.

I have no desire to pick up another stomach bug anytime soon. At all. Or ever.

funny this is being discussed right now.  I'm home from work because one of my kids was complaining of a stomach ache.  So i get home, been chilling while the kid is laying on the sofa watching TV.  All of a sudden I hear the dreaded "BLOOORP!" and look over to see it everywhere.  clothes, sofa, blanket, carpet.

I've just spent the last 45 min spraying, wiping, cleaning, uncovering cushions for washing and vacuuming.

I only pray now that putting on rubber gloves, washing hands frequently and spraying lysol everywhere will protect me.  Who wants chili?

3 hours ago, Jandurin said:

Explosive aspect lasted "only" 12 hours for me but the fatigue was 36 hours total.

Whatever it was it was the sickest I've been in at least a decade.

The entire family came down with something the week before Christmas.  Hit our 2 year old on a Friday night, and the rest of us got it Sunday night.  5 year old got it first, 2 hours later my wife, and 2 hours after that, me.  Violent puking lasted about 4 hours and the run-up to that took about 2 - 3 hours.  Felt OK after 24 hours, but took several days for any of us to eat normally.  That was the first time I'd thrown up (w/o alcohol inducement) in 24 years.  Down-right traumatizing.  I watched everyone fall like dominoes, one-by-one, as my turn was approaching.  Then, trying to take care of the 5 year old while sick yourself was a nightmare.  Thankfully, the littlest got it 2 days prior (somehow) and was asleep by the time the rest of us got it, and that the wife had a couple hour head-start on me and took over child-care duty when it was my time to bow before the throne.  And all this was at the end of a 5-week run of cold virus, bronchitis, ear-infection, ear-tube insertion.  Never seen such a stretch of illness in my entire life.  Finally, got over everything right before Christmas - thankfully.  Hope everyone stays healthy.  There is a lot of crap going around.

4 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Been quite a few years since I had Norovirus, but I must have picked it up somewhere in Rehoboth. Hit me suddenly Sunday night. That thing is a biitch. The symptom I don't remember from the last time is the fatigue after the hideous 24 hours of constant crapping and puking. I am back to eating normally now, but damn I sleep a ton, get up for a few hours, and I am ready for more sleep. I don't even want to drink. This is day 4 with no alcohol. :yikes:

I'm sorry. Had that last month. Had to drive my son home from PA 2 hours in the snow while stopping to puke every few miles. It's no fun. 

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

And I hold out hope we can someday do without your sheer blockiness. 

Hey, it's worked out for us really well so far. No reason to expect it to change anytime soon (next 3-5 years). After that, anything is possible. Maybe some of you guys will sign a geo-engineering petition.

"how much for Dover" is like nails on a chalkboard.

Also, Mitch, I didn't want to respond to this in the long-range thread but where you wrote the following, I am in agreement:

to me, what makes this winter particularly difficulty is the proximity of decent snowfall; normally, it's a 40N issue, but the Lower Eastern Shore of MD and Tidewater VA is a little harder to take

32 minutes ago, Lowershoresadness said:

I always get embarrassed buying toilet paper. I can't look the cashier in the eyes

One time, I came back into my building carrying, without a bag: 1) a 12-pack of mega-rolls of Charmin Ultra Strong toilet paper; 2) a 1.75 L bottle of vodka; and 3) a box of cereal breakfast bars. Had the best conversations with my neighbors on the elevator that day....

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived