Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Banter String

George BM

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I have a hard time understanding why he has such a hard time translating regular season success to playoff success. It's really a shame because it's hard to dislike him. The Chiefs were falling apart at the end of the season so this isn't awfully surprising...aside from a huge lead being lost at home. 

Two things I observed over his 13 years in Philly. He isn't good at in game adjustments even in the regular season. Many times it doesn't matter because he usually has a good game plan. But when things started ugly they rarely got better. It would be a struggle all game. Sometimes those eagles teams were good enough to beat a mediocre team in an ugly game anyways but it rarely got better. That kind of thing probably matters more in the playoffs when your up against better teams in big situations  

He also seems to get way too conservative in the playoffs.  He started a game with an insides kick a few times. He would throw out fake punts and trick plays regularly in the season. Go hurry up unexpectedly. He was a trickster and aggressive. But all I remember from all those playoff losses was boring conservative scared play calling. He seems to coach different in the playoffs. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Yea...eating my soup and watching the game I tried to be a good sport towards Andy. I have no ill will towards him unlike many eagles fans. I met him a few times at training camp and once when he visited the fans waiting for tickets at the Vet. He seemed like a nice guy. But my god every time I watch him screw up Kansas City in the playoffs it reminds me of all the times he couldn't close the deal for some darn good Eagles teams. Can't blame him for all the losses. The road loss to the rams wasn't his fault. But he lost in the NFC championship game as the favorite 3 times. A few other divisional round duds.  He seemed to just lock up in those big moments. Take a stupid risk when safe was the call. Go safe when he should have stayed agressuve. He just doesn't seem to have it in the pressure games. Shame he is one of the best regular season coaches in the league. 

It's pretty bad when the first line in your Wikipedia entry describes you as a choke artist:

Andrew Walter Reid (born March 19, 1958) is an American football coach and playoff choke artist who is the current head coach for the Kansas City Chiefs of the National Football League (NFL)

18 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

You're right but it's the best one there is for our local area. I think it's 90% accurate. At one time it was posted on the nws lwx website and it's a similar style to the old school snow event maps they made in the 90s and early 2000s. Miss those.  So they probably had something to do with it. 

But agree there are some local features that look wonky. Some reasons could be if they used coop data, I do a lot of research with coop sites and they have missing months and or days a lot. It's skews things.

For instance if you just take the Westminster barracks coop it says something like 28" average. But the reason is they were missing quite a few snowstorms in the missing data during the period of record.  When I did some local climo data research years ago I found of you fill in the missing snow using estimates from the closest coops with data for those dates it becomes closer to 35". They used the other Westminster coop and millers just east of me as the two sites on that map because the numbers match.  But similar data issued to what I described could have found their way onto the map in other locations. 

Another thing to consider is if they used some locations without a long period of record then a few fluke events can really skew the number a couple inches in places with a low average. 

I can back up the Westminster data pretty well.  I have 24 years of data at my same location and my average snowfall is at 34.5" (last winter knocked the avg. down a full inch dammit).   I am located a couple of miles southeast of Westminster downtown but I have added elevation on my side which probably makes my location an excellent reference for Westminster proper.

27 minutes ago, Sparky said:

I can back up the Westminster data pretty well.  I have 24 years of data at my same location and my average snowfall is at 34.5" (last winter knocked the avg. down a full inch dammit).   I am located a couple of miles southeast of Westminster downtown but I have added elevation on my side which probably makes my location an excellent reference for Westminster proper.

Yea your numbers fit with westminsters long term average using coop data. You must be near  Carroll community college then.  

My 11 year average since moving here is 41.9" but 2010 and 2014 are skewing the crap out of the average. Using millers coop just east of me to get a longer data set says my average should settle around 39-40 over the long term.  It jumps up over 49 after every big 75"+ year then slides down under 40 after our multiple year droughts. The mean is misleading though. Truth is our snowfall varies greatly. In a typical decade we get 2 years over 50". Another 2-3 years between 35-50. Then 3-4 years between 20-35 and 2 utter crap years between 15-19".  Once every 20 years or so we get a year under 15" up here. 

2000s and 2010s were largely decades of volatility. Heat and snow records were broken consistently. However this doesn't tell you much about anything of value in terms of long-term climate. Other than something's changed and you should wake the hell up and take a closer look. Don't trigger me, it won't be pretty. Just sayin'.

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

We need to hear more about Delaware 

Why worry about something that will not be there when your grandkids are in retirement? Hell, maybe sooner. You could be one of those smart people who have chosen not to take part in the race to the bottom by going childless.

2 minutes ago, Vice-Regent said:

2000s and 2010s were largely decades of volatility. Heat and snow records were broken consistently. However I don't tell you much about anything of value in terms of long-term climate. Other than something's changed and you should wake the hell up and take a closer look. Don't trigger me, it won't be pretty. Just sayin'.

Fixed

7 minutes ago, Vice-Regent said:

Why worry about something that will not be there when your grandkids are in retirement? Hell, maybe sooner. You could be one of those smart people who have chosen not to take part in the race to the bottom by going childless.

You must be really fun at parties

Watching the game and drinking a beer. Who else is drinking beer, and what are you drinking? (sorry- bud, coors light, etc does not qualify here, lol)

I am drinking a Dogfish Head Pennsylvania Tuxedo. A really good, and different, winter/backwoods hunter themed PA. Brewed with local spruce tips! plus 8.5% abv.

2 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Watching the game and drinking a beer. Who else is drinking beer, and what are you drinking? (sorry- bud, coors light, etc does not qualify here, lol)

I am drinking a Dogfish Head Pennsylvania Tuxedo. A really good, and different, winter/backwoods hunter themed PA. Brewed with local spruce tips! plus 8.5% abv.

I spent the afternoon kicking the snot out of Addams Family pinball at Crabtowne in Glen Burnie. Fifty cents for the first game and then played five by winning 3 and matching one. Then spent a quarter playing Pole Position and put up my initials for the top score. Then played a pinball machine I've never seen before. Put fifty cents in Harley Davidson and played five more games. If anyone likes multi ball, Harley is your machine. Four balls at a time is pretty crazy. Good times and great way to spend $1.25 for an hour and a half. Meanwhile, my gf spent five bucks on Gone Fishing.

But now, I'll join you in a beer. Starting with Monument City Woodstove Imperial Stout.

I hit the illegal skating pond today with my son. Ice is literally a foot thick. The part that sucked is the local kids have been on a rampage and the ice seriously needs a zamboni. Ice surface is worn out worse than I've ever seen it. Lol. I've never seen the ice this thick in the 14 years I've been going there. Safe enough to drive a car on. 

I took some pics and I'll post them once I put them up on imagur. 

1 hour ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I spent the afternoon kicking the snot out of Addams Family pinball at Crabtowne in Glen Burnie. Fifty cents for the first game and then played five by winning 3 and matching one. Then spent a quarter playing Pole Position and put up my initials for the top score. Then played a pinball machine I've never seen before. Put fifty cents in Harley Davidson and played five more games. If anyone likes multi ball, Harley is your machine. Four balls at a time is pretty crazy. Good times and great way to spend $1.25 for an hour and a half. Meanwhile, my gf spent five bucks on Gone Fishing.

But now, I'll join you in a beer. Starting with Monument City Woodstove Imperial Stout.

Crabtowne in GB!!! Now you're in my back yard.  You should have pm'ed me. I could have signed your passport to get out of Glen Burnie. What were you doing there anyway? They don't have pinball games closer to Pikesville area?

Ps: I was and still am a pretty good pinball player myself thanks to the old Greenway bowling alley, formerly in lovely downtown Glen Burnie. 

19 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Crabtowne in GB!!! Now you're in my back yard.  You should have pm'ed me. I could have signed your passport to get out of Glen Burnie. What were you doing there anyway? They don't have pinball games closer to Pikesville area?

Ps: I was and still am a pretty good pinball player myself thanks to the old Greenway bowling alley, formerly in lovely downtown Glen Burnie. 

Pinball in Pikesville?!?  Come on, man!  But seriously, Crabtowne has some good machines and they take care of them.  I only wish they had my favorite, Firepower.  But I'll definitely let you know the next time I'm over in The Burn.  Be fun to play a fellow wizard.

On 1/6/2018 at 6:07 PM, psuhoffman said:

You're right but it's the best one there is for our local area. I think it's 90% accurate. At one time it was posted on the nws lwx website and it's a similar style to the old school snow event maps they made in the 90s and early 2000s. Miss those.  So they probably had something to do with it. 

But agree there are some local features that look wonky. Some reasons could be if they used coop data, I do a lot of research with coop sites and they have missing months and or days a lot. It's skews things.

For instance if you just take the Westminster barracks coop it says something like 28" average. But the reason is they were missing quite a few snowstorms in the missing data during the period of record.  When I did some local climo data research years ago I found of you fill in the missing snow using estimates from the closest coops with data for those dates it becomes closer to 35". They used the other Westminster coop and millers just east of me as the two sites on that map because the numbers match.  But similar data issued to what I described could have found their way onto the map in other locations. 

Another thing to consider is if they used some locations without a long period of record then a few fluke events can really skew the number a couple inches in places with a low average. 

I’d wager they factored in APG, hence the inaccuracy around the northern Bay. If it snows on the weekend, APG doesn’t measure till Monday lol. No joke.

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived