Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Banter String

George BM

46 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I'm pretty sure Fairfax County had a delayed opening a few times during that stretch, but I don't particularly recall there being actual closings.

I think Fairfax is ready for PD3 since they built in something crazy like 13 snow days (@yoda may know more about it). And some of the Insane Mom Posse in my neighborhood are saying that they have to use a certain number of snow days in order to request the same number of days in the future...or something weird like that.

It's 13.  And they are unpaid for teachers even if they don't use them.  It's a strange system.  Seems weird to me that they are tacked on no matter what.  

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I'm pretty sure Fairfax County had a delayed opening a few times during that stretch, but I don't particularly recall there being actual closings.

I think Fairfax is ready for PD3 since they built in something crazy like 13 snow days (@yoda may know more about it). And some of the Insane Mom Posse in my neighborhood are saying that they have to use a certain number of snow days in order to request the same number of days in the future...or something weird like that.

Yeah, which means it is going to drive you even more crazy when they close for minor things because the days are already built in.

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

I don’t remember HoCo delaying for cold in previous years, even with the PErlerVertex, so this is new. Certainly didn’t need to close yesterday either. They might regret that when PD3 hits next month.

That criteria I mentioned on the last page (wind chill advisory OR zero or less air temperature) was not met in the stretch of cold you mentioned.  I think a good idea is for every county (particularly HoCo in light of the debacle of the past 5 years or so) is to have the transparency they preach about and make public the scenarios and criteria that in general impact openings.  Of course, they could also add that these are general guidelines and each case is considered independently.  But, based on observations, here's a few gimmees...

Winter Storm Warning - closed

Winter Weather Advisory - delay if snow is expected to stop or close if snow expected to continue (yesterday)

Wind Chill Advisory - delay

Sub zero temperature - delay

eta:  And you're right about the delay for cold being new.  I think it was put in place about 3 years ago.  Interestingly, if it had been in place in the 10 years prior, I think it would have impacted somewhere around 3 school days, all of which would have been delays.  I looked it up and still have the data somewhere.

3 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

^i think that’s pretty reasonable. The catch with the cold though is two hours doesn’t really buy you anything when buses for high school are still rolling between 7-8am even with a delay. That’s the coldest part of the morning! 

lol.  I didn't say it made sense!  US education and common sense can be Chuck universes apart.

13 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

That criteria I mentioned on the last page (wind chill advisory OR zero or less air temperature) was not met in the stretch of cold you mentioned.  I think a good idea is for every county (particularly HoCo in light of the debacle of the past 5 years or so) is to have the transparency they preach about and make public the scenarios and criteria that in general impact openings.  Of course, they could also add that these are general guidelines and each case is considered independently.  But, based on observations, here's a few gimmees...

Winter Storm Warning - closed

Winter Weather Advisory - delay if snow is expected to stop or close if snow expected to continue (yesterday)

Wind Chill Advisory - delay

Sub zero temperature - delay

eta:  And you're right about the delay for cold being new.  I think it was put in place about 3 years ago.  Interestingly, if it had been in place in the 10 years prior, I think it would have impacted somewhere around 3 school days, all of which would have been delays.  I looked it up and still have the data somewhere.

I'm sure every county and state has its own criteria, but what you list is in general true across the board I believe.  I totally expected MoCo to have at least a delay yesterday morning, given the winter weather advisory and there were some roads near me that were not yet well cleared (even with only an inch on the ground).  Was a bit surprised they outright closed for the day, as roads were fine by mid-morning.  Perhaps they were considering the expected winds and falling temperatures later in the day.  Likewise, today did not surprise me that they had a delay.

10 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

^i think that’s pretty reasonable. The catch with the cold though is two hours doesn’t really buy you anything when buses for high school are still rolling between 7-8am even with a delay. That’s the coldest part of the morning! 

Yeah, in some ways the 2 hour delay seems a bit odd, guess it depends on when normal start times are.  But at least for MoCo, high school begins about 7:40AM and my daughter's bus time is around 6:55.  Middle and elementary school start later (8:30, 9:30).  So a delay would begin (high) school at 9:40 with bus time closer to 9...maybe not much difference, but at least the sun is up more; would be more of a difference for middle/elementary school though.

Just now, MN Transplant said:

We need some rain.  The leftover brine on the roads is out of control.

Ha! I was just thinking this. I'm pretty anal about keeping my cars and trucks free of salt/brine. It's killing me seeing the coating and not being able to do anything unless I want to lock myself out of my vehicles for a few days. 

Sorry guys, but I hope the Jan 13/14 storms trends north. Im going to upstate NY and already setting up an idea of chasing a good sized one. Setting up the hotels etc.  Not one that will totally maroon me, but a good one. I might get a room with a hot tub and a nice fireplace.

Climo is just in their favor up there. Heck they were a zillion miles from the low pressure of the last storm and still got more snow than us. These things just work for them.

Been working outside since 7:30 and it will now take a little bit to thaw.  Interesting side note.  Lake Barcroft near Annandale is completely frozen over.  Ice is so thick that the country came out and safety checked it and people can now ice skate on it. 

So I walked out to the middle of it.  It is so surreal to be standing in the middle of a lake and listen to the ice flexing.

oh, another side note.  fingertips hurt both when going numb from cold and after when they warm up.  Yes, I had gloves.  2 pair as a matter of fact but the fingertips are exposed for needing to punch little buttons on a survey instrument.

13 minutes ago, H2O said:

Been working outside since 7:30 and it will now take a little bit to thaw.  Interesting side note.  Lake Barcroft near Annandale is completely frozen over.  Ice is so thick that the country came out and safety checked it and people can now ice skate on it. 

So I walked out to the middle of it.  It is so surreal to be standing in the middle of a lake and listen to the ice flexing.

oh, another side note.  fingertips hurt both when going numb from cold and after when they warm up.  Yes, I had gloves.  2 pair as a matter of fact but the fingertips are exposed for needing to punch little buttons on a survey instrument.

Try running hot water over your fingers.

Jk!  I learned that the hard way at Breckenridge ski resort.

6 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

That doesn't mean I can't comment via my computer. You didn't specify what you meant by a "hit", and so I'll consider getting snow a "hit" if you don't mind

You should post a lot less. You made probably 1000 worthless posts all of December. But I mean whatever you gotta tell yourself to think this area gets good snow....

8 minutes ago, 93Blizzard said:

You should post a lot less. You made probably 1000 worthless posts all of December. But I mean whatever you gotta tell yourself to think this area gets good snow....

This area? Good snow? Since when?

Also, I see you put great insight into your posts as well.

39 minutes ago, H2O said:

I have a friend who's parents live on Barcroft. What a neat lake and neighborhood. A hidden gem for sure. It's a pretty deep lake too so impressive that it's safe to the middle already. I'm going to head over to my little rink/pond in the woods tomorrow. There is no doubt that thing is safe. I love watching my dog try and run on it. Big power slides when he tries to change directions and 10 second burnouts when he tries to get going. 

8 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I have a friend who's parents live on Barcroft. What a neat lake and neighborhood. A hidden gem for sure. It's a pretty deep lake too so impressive that it's safe to the middle already. I'm going to head over to my little rink/pond in the woods tomorrow. There is no doubt that thing is safe. I love watching my dog try and run on it. Big power slides when he tries to change directions and 10 second burnouts when he tries to get going. 

I took a bunch of videos and pics but I thought this was super cool.  gas bubbles coming up and getting trapped in the ice while forming.  Super cool

bubble ice.jpg

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived